Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
So, Matter Overdrive updated recently, and aside from the absolutely stellar (pun intended) changelog, it also included this tidbit: anything before Java 8 is no longer supported. I'm curious - what are all your opinions on that? Personally, I think it's fine, but I know there's a large group of people still hanging out on Java 7 (and even a few on Java 6), and I'd like to hear what they think about it.
I want the new version! :D
Updating is pretty easy. Plus the new features really are stellar... ;)

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
for me it would mean that I can't go full open source with programs that are needed for your pc, and I believe that apt-get will not get oracle java updates so that might become a pain but it might also be not.

r0rs

Jul 29, 2019
So, Matter Overdrive updated recently, and aside from the absolutely stellar (pun intended) changelog, it also included this tidbit: anything before Java 8 is no longer supported. I'm curious - what are all your opinions on that? Personally, I think it's fine, but I know there's a large group of people still hanging out on Java 7 (and even a few on Java 6), and I'd like to hear what they think about it.

I will not use any mod that requires Java 8 at this time. My server works perfectly with Java 7 and will be staying there throughout 1.7.10. When we all switch to a new MC version I may be willing to move to Java 8. Certainly not changing it while the server is running a live world that's running perfectly.

I imagine many people who pay for hosting don't get a choice of which Java they use as well.

r0rs

Jul 29, 2019
I would love if people could move onto Java 8. It adds some cool features, and I would prefer not having to push hotfixes every two seconds because I accidentally used Java 8 code.

I've nothing against Java 8. I run it on my client. Now just isn't a good time to ask everyone to switch.

Should be interesting when the Horizons pack updates Matter Overdrive and half the people can't launch the pack anymore.

VictiniX888

Jul 29, 2019
I don't mind forcing Java 8, mostly because I'm using Java 8 and it wouldn't affect me a lot :p
Plus, most people should be using Java 8 now anyways, there's almost no reason to not update

Planetguy

Jul 29, 2019
for me it would mean that I can't go full open source with programs that are needed for your pc, and I believe that apt-get will not get oracle java updates so that might become a pain but it might also be not.
OpenJDK 8 is in Debian jessie-backports and testing.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I think it's good. Java 8 has some really nice features on it that people could use (functions being semi-first class, finally :p) among some others
I want the new version! :D
Updating is pretty easy. Plus the new features really are stellar... ;)
gg
Yeah, that is unfortunate, OpenJDK 8 isn't quite bug-tested enough to be ready for major use
I will not use any mod that requires Java 8 at this time. My server works perfectly with Java 7 and will be staying there throughout 1.7.10. When we all switch to a new MC version I may be willing to move to Java 8. Certainly not changing it while the server is running a live world that's running perfectly.

I imagine many people who pay for hosting don't get a choice of which Java they use as well.
Changing a Java version doesn't have a chance of corrupting your world...Java versions are fairly good at being back-portable, all Java 7 code will work the same in Java 8. The hosting point though is something I haven't heard, that is a legitimate concern
I would love if people could move onto Java 8. It adds some cool features, and I would prefer not having to push hotfixes every two seconds because I accidentally used Java 8 code.
It certainly does, and yes I've seen your tweets :p

But yes, java.util.Function not being in Java 7 is a "bug" isn't it
I've nothing against Java 8. I run it on my client. Now just isn't a good time to ask everyone to switch.

Should be interesting when the Horizons pack updates Matter Overdrive and half the people can't launch the pack anymore.
This is my opinion as well. I think we'd need to wait until OpenJDK 8 is stable, and then maybe we could update.
I don't mind forcing Java 8, mostly because I'm using Java 8 and it wouldn't affect me a lot :p
Plus, most people should be using Java 8 now anyways, there's almost no reason to not update
Should be doesn't mean they are :p
'almost'

Just like I'm almost Bill gates.
Not that ridiculous :p

Reactions: Type1Ninja

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
My problem with updating Matter Overdrive in Horizons is that it forces people to use Java 8 - and not just any Java 8, either. We've established that Galacticraft doesn't even work with OpenJDK 8, meaning that we'd be forcing people to go with Oracle. We have stated before that we don't support non-oracle java versions and that we're trying to move away from Java 7, but I'm not sure I'm ready to restrict people that much.

That said, there are a large number of issues involving Matter Overdrive that were fixed in the update - quite a few critical ones that determine whether the mod is usable or not. I think at this point I'm faced with either removing it or forcing people on to Oracle Java 8, and I'm not sure which to do. I do love Star Trek.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
My problem with updating Matter Overdrive in Horizons is that it forces people to use Java 8 - and not just any Java 8, either. We've established that Galacticraft doesn't even work with OpenJDK 8, meaning that we'd be forcing people to go with Oracle. We have stated before that we don't support non-oracle java versions and that we're trying to move away from Java 7, but I'm not sure I'm ready to restrict people that much.
Understandable
That said, there are a large number of issues involving Matter Overdrive that were fixed in the update - quite a few critical ones that determine whether the mod is usable or not. I think at this point I'm faced with either removing it or forcing people on to Oracle Java 8, and I'm not sure which to do. I do love Star Trek.
I think people would rather you keep it and force people onto Java 8. Be prepared for bug reports from people who haven't updated though