Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

KaosRitual

Jul 29, 2019
I think this is relevant - here is the new version message:
4aPz4p0.png
If you have more than one of your mods and they are out of date, does it pop up with multiple boxes or just stick them all together in that one box?

L0NExW0LF

Jul 29, 2019
Progress!

I hesitate to ask, but there's still no way to permanently disable update notifications, even for modpacks and servers, correct?
Actually in the DragonAPI config there is an option that allows you to turn it off. Just look for the option that says: B:"Agressive Update Notification"=true

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Actually in the DragonAPI config there is an option that allows you to turn it off. Just look for the option that says: B:"Agressive Update Notification"=true
This redesign is removing that option - it is not even compatible with the new system - and it appeared not to work anyway.

But the message is now only about 10 seconds of clicking. I have little sympathy for anyone who claims that is arduous or incomprehensible.

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
This redesign is removing that option - it is not even compatible with the new system - and it appeared not to work anyway.

But the message is now only about 10 seconds of clicking. I have little sympathy for anyone who claims that is arduous or incomprehensible.

I still firmly hold that modpack users and server players don't need to be bothered with it at all for reasons I've said so many times I think I'm starting to sound like a broken record to you.

Progress is still progress, though, so I'll give you that.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I still firmly hold that modpack users and server players don't need to be bothered with it at all for reasons I've said so many times I think I'm starting to sound like a broken record to you.
As I have said before, I am never going to add the ability for a user to just once set an option and never be notified of updates again.

The command still exists for those capable of entering it.

Is there a mod to disable all the chat spam when loading up a world?
?

parcel31u

Jul 29, 2019
As I have said before, I am never going to add the ability for a user to just once set an option and never be notified of updates again.

?
A way to disable mods from saying that there is a new version, filling up the chat log.

Reactions: RedBoss

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019

So basically you don't care how much you bother other people as long as you don't have to deal with it.
Why are people going to even bother putting in you mods into there pack if it causes such a hassle.

Oh well. Tune in next time when we review ProgectR. That is totally not a homage/knockoff/copy of all of Rekas mods but done by a less abrasive mod dev.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
So basically you don't care how much you bother other people as long as you don't have to deal with it.
Why are people going to even bother putting in you mods into there pack if it causes such a hassle.

Oh well. Tune in next time when we review ProgectR. That is totally not a homage/knockoff/copy of all of Rekas mods but done by a less abrasive mod dev.
This just in: 10 seconds of clicking is "such a hassle" that it means the dev "doesn't care how much they bother other people", and justifies "a homage/knockoff/copy from a less abrasive dev". Seriously?!

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019

I agreed with you until you said this. No. Trying to clone an actively devved mod is just not cool. Period.

This just in: 10 seconds of clicking is "such a hassle" that it means the dev "doesn't care how much they bother other people", and justifies "a homage/knockoff/copy from a less abrasive dev". Seriously?!

Yes, that clicking is a hassle for people that will not be updating those mods for valid reasons and it does show that you don't seem to care about the bother that creates for those users in the slightest.

The second part is out of line, though, I think, though I understand why he's worked up. You have to realize and live with the fact that your policies will incite people and stop trying to make big deal out of it. If you run with highly unpopular opinions on things and disregard all complaints about them as invalid then you're going to get that reaction. A lot.

Last edited:

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019

10 seconds of clicking every time you open a world until the pack maker tests pack and the pack maker releases a updated version of the pack.
Oh wait while testing was being done there was a new update. Go to 10.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
10 seconds of clicking every time you open a world until the pack maker tests pack and the pack maker releases a updated version of the pack.
Oh wait while testing was being done there was a new update. Go to 10.
This is what the command is for, and besides, the only versions that get rapidfired are bugfixes (why exactly would you want to refuse an update whose only changes are half a dozen bugfixes?), with major versions coming weeks or even months apart.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
I agreed with you until you said this. No. Trying to clone an actively deved mod is just not cool. Period.

I wasn't being serious with that part. But at some point if a dev's behavior gets to the point where few want to play with a mod that has that dev in charge but still wants to use that mod or one like it why shouldn't anyone make there own version.
At that point it would be worse to let the dev continue with that behavior.
And the final judge as to if it was wright or wrong would be if people started to use the cloned mod or even if it became dominant.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
This is what the command is for, and besides, the only versions that get rapidfired are bugfixes (why exactly would you want to refuse an update whose only changes are half a dozen bugfixes?), with major versions coming weeks or even months apart.

You do know that bug fixes can break as many things as they fix right. And even that type of update would still need testing. You could make an update that changes one type in a spawned vanilla book it would still require testing.

mDiyo

Jul 29, 2019
Another mod author rises to the ranks of "I'm already playing the game so let's pester you to stop playing the game". The message is even more annoying than usual, congratulations.

This message is too late to matter, especially since most users can't do anything about the source code of the mod they're using.

That is entirely anti-user and you should reconsider. There are pack makers who won't use your mod for that reason alone.