Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
It also has an annoying tendency to drop anything it doesn't know what to do with on the ground which can lag out a whole server if you aren't careful. I much prefer Ducts as a whole. They're just... cleaner.

Pipes were okay back in the day when there were no alternatives. Then RP2 Tubes showed up and they were only used very early game before you had brass up and running. Now we have alternatives that are strictly superior.
Arguably not. BC pipes are cheaper than just about any alternative, and can be faster than anything aside from AE and RotaryCraft.

I do admit I am not fond of the item spilling mechanic.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Arguably not. BC pipes are cheaper than just about any alternative, and can be faster than anything aside from AE and RotaryCraft.

I do admit I am not fond of the item spilling mechanic.
Impulse Ducts are fast enough. The marginal speed upgrade that golden pipes provide over them isn't worth the downsides. Also, neither one are particularly expensive. Tin and Lead are not resources typically bottlenecked.

Also, the logic involved in ducts is FAR better than the pipe's randomness at intersections.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Impulse Ducts are fast enough. The marginal speed upgrade that golden pipes provide over them isn't worth the downsides. Also, neither one are particularly expensive. Tin and Lead are not resources typically bottlenecked.
Suppose you are in 1.7. What then would be your item transport solution?
(I know that COFH is working on it, but it isn't out at the time of me writing this)

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Here's my (theoretical) system:
BC gold pipes for long-distance transport
-to-
A buffer chest for conversion from the long-range network to the local one
-to-
Local network with all sorts of redstone wizardry to pull levers to make things go
-to-
local AE for local storage
-to (once I find LogPipes for 1.7.10 and figure out if it works with AE)-
LogPipes setup back into the long-range system for when more stuff is needed.

This is because of a few things I decided I'll do when I start my SSP playthrough. These are:
1. AE can only be used at one location. Things from one AE network far away must be requested and sent via pipes.
2. AE cannot be used for crafting

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
It also has an annoying tendency to drop anything it doesn't know what to do with on the ground which can lag out a whole server if you aren't careful. I much prefer Ducts as a whole. They're just... cleaner.

Pipes were okay back in the day when there were no alternatives. Then RP2 Tubes showed up and they were only used very early game before you had brass up and running. Now we have alternatives that are strictly superior.

From what I found ducts/tubes were a hell of a lot worse than the pipes if the network got backstuffed.

Reactions: Padfoote

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Only because ExNhi uses a non-standard thing for the barrels, which is the only real interaction that causes that problem, which was fixed in the following update.
Erm, the problem in which the pipes became that backstuffed was ExNhi's fault. The lag wasn't.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
The problem is how the crucibles handle their inventory, making the ducts think there is space when there really isn't, causing it to massively over-backstuff.
Honestly, the if it backstuffed and then it all despawned in five minutes as if they were dropped, (restarting each time one leaves) that would be an impressive way to meditate performance and gameplay value.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Get faster tracks...
Which brings us to the previous point about watching for explosions. You have to chunkload the whole track, and make darn sure you have the thing set up correctly, or you'll get some lovely explosions. Oh, and make sure no stray pig or cow or creeper wanders on the line when something zooms down.