Really stupid things that people have said about Modded MC(Off topicness makes moderators tired)

Is this a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 66 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • if people don't get out of control

Votes: 68 18.8%
  • POTATOES

Votes: 210 58.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
This is less an argument against DRM as a concept and again more one against poor implementations.

The effects of DRM are something to consider in a cost to benefit analysis. One has to always look at the result of using it to legitimize using it at all. DRM is essentially security, and security always has a trade off with accessibility. Lots of things can work in theory but fail in practice. After all people are involved...

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
In theory, we can time travel, and get to places faster than light could.

Concept is all well and good, but implementation is where you can see things and properly judge.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Basically copy protection systems.
Ever had to put a serial key into a video game? That's a form of DRM.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
In theory, we can time travel, and get to places faster than light could.

Concept is all well and good, but implementation is where you can see things and properly judge.

Alternatively, you could just scrunch up space in front of you to the point that, when you move, you are moving (to an outside observer) faster than light. You'd effectively be pulling your target closer to you, but you'd still get there faster. That's the basic functionality of a warp drive, if I remember correctly, one of the only concepts of FTL travel that might actually work.

Reactions: buggirlexpres

pizzawolf14

Jul 29, 2019
Alternatively, you could just scrunch up space in front of you to the point that, when you move, you are moving (to an outside observer) faster than light. You'd effectively be pulling your target closer to you, but you'd still get there faster. That's the basic functionality of a warp drive, if I remember correctly, one of the only concepts of FTL travel that might actually work.
That's what the spaceships in Futurama do.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
Oh man oh man oh man

I've written several essays on Warp Theory.

#nerd

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
What is DRM?
Digital Rights Management.
(Quick tangent, love the avatar Wagon. Just watched Fairy Tail, Erza is awesome)

As a clarification If you've read earlier in the thread (like the first page) there are plenty of DRM schemes that work very well. Heck most of them were basically unobtrusive for decades. You only dealt with them on level load (word 5 of sentence 15 on page 4 of your manual), or software installation.

Then the industry went insane over "PIRATES!" (Which is a loaded and inaccurate term with software, so are "theft" and "steal". But that's a moral/philosophical debate I'm not getting into here.) and made the DRM harder and harder to break (theoretically, but turns out not appreciably in practice), spending a very large amount of money, time, and effort; accomplishing... diddly squat. I have yet to meet a piece of software popular enough for piracy to be an issue with sales (unless you win the anti-lottery and get a significantly higher percentage than normal of software piracy on low-sale unknown programs) that wasn't cracked within a week of it being released. Most games are cracked BEFORE they come out to the public.

That's what villainized DRM, things like always-on internet callbacks and flaky schemes that don't let legitimate users use their software all the time while the EVIL SOFTWARE PIRATES! (Imagine ominous music and peals of thunder) happily play their games without these problems because they removed, bypassed, or completely locked down the DRM.

Not to say DRM is bad, in fact most of the old methods of access protection, identification, and general "security" things like passwords and cd-keys? They're awesome. Steam is my favorite method of obtaining games, and it's got some of the heaviest duty DRM I've seen in the gaming industry that I have literally never noticed because it works that smoothly.

==========

Now back to a more interesting and less flame-war inducing topic (<sarcasm>Ooh! Let's bring religion and politics into this!</sarcasm>)

That would be the idea I was referencing, yeah. Notice how I said "get to places before" not "travel faster" because YOU aren't actually traveling any faster than light, you're just shortening the distance of travel.

Reactions: 1SDAN and Wagon153

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
(Quick tangent, love the avatar Wagon. Just watched Fairy Tail, Erza is awesome)

As a clarification If you've read earlier in the thread (like the first page) there are plenty of DRM schemes that work very well. Heck most of them were basically unobtrusive for decades. You only dealt with them on level load (word 5 of sentence 15 on page 4 of your manual), or software installation.

Then the industry went insane over "PIRATES!" (Which is a loaded and inaccurate term with software, so are "theft" and "steal". But that's a moral/philosophical debate I'm not getting into here.) and made the DRM harder and harder to break (theoretically, but turns out not appreciably in practice), spending a very large amount of money, time, and effort; accomplishing... diddly squat. I have yet to meet a piece of software popular enough for piracy to be an issue with sales (unless you win the anti-lottery and get a significantly higher percentage than normal of software piracy on low-sale unknown programs) that wasn't cracked within a week of it being released. Most games are cracked BEFORE they come out to the public.

That's what villainized DRM, things like always-on internet callbacks and flaky schemes that don't let legitimate users use their software all the time while the EVIL SOFTWARE PIRATES! (Imagine ominous music and peals of thunder) happily play their games without these problems because they removed, bypassed, or completely locked down the DRM.

Not to say DRM is bad, in fact most of the old methods of access protection, identification, and general "security" things like passwords and cd-keys? They're awesome. Steam is my favorite method of obtaining games, and it's got some of the heaviest duty DRM I've seen in the gaming industry that I have literally never noticed because it works that smoothly.

==========

Now back to a more interesting and less flame-war inducing topic (<sarcasm>Ooh! Let's bring religion and politics into this!</sarcasm>)

That would be the idea I was referencing, yeah. Notice how I said "get to places before" not "travel faster" because YOU aren't actually traveling any faster than light, you're just shortening the distance of travel.

V=D/T

What does that D stand for?

DISTANCE LICH!!!

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Right, but you're not actually traveling the same distance, which is how you get around the lightspeed barrier and relevant energy requirements. You, yourself are traversing D/N, so while your speed to an outside observer will appear to be V=D/T, your personal speed will be V=(D/N)/T. Where N in this equation is a number representing the fraction/percentage that you squeeze space in front of you and expand it behind.

Reactions: 1SDAN

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I'm still wondering why turning the field into a torus makes it magnitudes more energy-efficient. One day, I shall understand this...

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019

Despite still not stopping pirates. :D
Wait hold up last I checked Stream had crap DRM. Maybe it was just the game I was playing but I could launch the game from it's install directory with out ever even starting stream.

SinisterBro :3

Jul 29, 2019
Despite still not stopping pirates. :D
Wait hold up last I checked Stream had crap DRM. Maybe it was just the game I was playing but I could launch the game from it's install directory with out ever even starting stream.

I wanna know which kind of streaming software lets me also play games from it :3

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
I wanna know which kind of streaming software lets me also play games from it :3

Steam. And there is softwhere like that. I've seen 2 types that are kind of like that.
One was the chat people controlling a pokemon game. The other was a stream of goldfish that controlled Street Fighter 2 I think it was.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Steam is more of a digital distribution platform and social overlay, then a launcher, THEN it's a games client with DRM. A large number of games (Terrarria comes to mind, as does Magicka) simply use steam to get their product to you. Steam can launch anything (a friend of mine used it to launch World of Warcraft and Minecraft so he had access to the steam overlay in those games), but the DRM only really comes into play when the developers integrate it into their game. Think something like Half Life or Portal. Those use the full suite of DRM that steam has to offer, and took a pretty impressively long time to be hacked. Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 had some pretty tough DRM as well from what I recall. Those are good examples. It prevented casual piracy and (as far as I'm aware) didn't impede legitimate users.

There is DRM everywhere that you never notice. That's the good kind. The stuff people notice, and that's given DRM such a bad name are abominations like "always on"... gods do I hate Destiny, and Assassins Creed, and Diablo III for that crap. Why should I be required to have an internet connection to play a SINGLE PLAYER game? I mean really? I'll tolerate it during install, not constantly during play.

Reactions: 1SDAN

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
The stuff people notice, and that's given DRM such a bad name are abominations like "always on"... gods do I hate Destiny, and Assassins Creed, and Diablo III for that crap. Why should I be required to have an internet connection to play a SINGLE PLAYER game? I mean really? I'll tolerate it during install, not constantly during play.

Destiny is an MMO with PvP, it needs always online, anny pvp game does. For that matter, anny game that wants competition needs always online. Not to prevent people from pirating the game. Heck, thats just a side effect. The reason a game has always online is to ensure there is no hacking, cheating, aim bots or other such shinanigans. You cannot thrive as a competitive game if the general player cannot even be bothered with your game because its floaded with bad experiences like these.

Wich is also why Diablo III needs always online. The problem here is the massive succes of diablo II and the extreme amount of botting/cheating/item selling and other shinanigans that went on there. If the game wasnt always online you would get a repeat of Diablo II. And, ontop, could never get anny kind of competitive setting going. Blizzard could ofcourse have developed 2 versions of Diablo III, keep them both updated sepperatly etc. But do we reaaaaaaly want an already slow company to slow down even more, just for an offline mode? No thanks (they did annyway, the console version). That was no excuse for the poor showing and cocky behavior of Blizzard at Diablo III's launch though... As it stands currently, you hardly notice the always online DRM thing, even with an authenticator. The new launcher remembers you and its just a quick logon screen (without needing to do annything) and your in.

So yes, I will always support an always online DRM if the game has a competitive setting. Infact, I want my competitive games to have an always online DRM. Its a great way to ensure fair play.

Status
Not open for further replies.