Really stupid things that people have said about Modded MC(Off topicness makes moderators tired)

Is this a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 66 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • if people don't get out of control

Votes: 68 18.8%
  • POTATOES

Votes: 210 58.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
*attempts to claw out eyes*

I hate, hate, HATE graphics whores. They are the worst thing about gaming, I swear. Now, its all about pixel count in textures and poly count in models instead of making a decent, effing functional game that's fun to play.

Also, yes, kids do need to get off my law before I get my shotgun.
I used to say that 20+ years ago, so nothing new. Gameplay before Graphics always. Graphics can always be improved at a later date. (Out of the TES series, my fav is Morrowind, and it looks amazing with texture and model replacers).
But I do have to use a texture pack for MC though, I just find the default 16x too low res for the size of the 1 meter blocks. I use Misa's 64x as a base. Closest in design to vanilla, and more neutral colours so my eyes are not burned.

WitherBlaster

Jul 29, 2019

I hate, hate, HATE graphics whores. They are the worst thing about gaming, I swear. Now, its all about pixel count in textures and poly count in models instead of making a decent, effing functional game that's fun to play.

"Let me tell you a little story...Graphics, Shmaphics. Now let me tell you another story, and by 'story', I mean 'one word'. Gameplay...mechanics. Gameplaymechanics!"

-PBG​

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Oddly, the reason I dislike Morrowind is because the game is, in my opinion, mechanically nigh-unplayable. Attack rolls and the like work in a turn-based setting, but when it comes to real-time combat, they just make everything intensely frustrating. Granted, DDO does attack rolls reasonably well, but that took a LOT of work, and this is D&D we're talking about: D&D without attack rolls is like a sugar-free cookie, a complete insult. Honestly, the only reason I don't use a higher-res texture pack for MC is that I just can't be arsed to find a good one, lol.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019

Indeed. And so many people are like "I MUST HAVE 144 FPS AT ALL TIMES ON MY DUAL 4K MONITORS! CROSSFIRE/SLI ALL THE GPUs" and end up wasting 3-8 thousand dollars on a gaming rig to play effing CS:GO.

Source: Am active redditor on /r/buildapc.

KaosRitual

Jul 29, 2019
Their logic was that MC modding is 90% male (come to think of it, I can only think of two big-name female developers, and one of them has been sporadically present over the last 4 years), and that by refusing to "equalize the assets" (their words) I was perpetuating a "male-dominated culture" (again their words).
I can think of 5, maybe 6 if Rorax counts, think she's doing something steampunky. Otherwise there's vazkii, machinemuse, pam (harvestcraft), eloraam and the decocraft dev.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Oddly, the reason I dislike Morrowind is because the game is, in my opinion, mechanically nigh-unplayable. Attack rolls and the like work in a turn-based setting, but when it comes to real-time combat, they just make everything intensely frustrating. Granted, DDO does attack rolls reasonably well, but that took a LOT of work, and this is D&D we're talking about: D&D without attack rolls is like a sugar-free cookie, a complete insult. Honestly, the only reason I don't use a higher-res texture pack for MC is that I just can't be arsed to find a good one, lol.
There was a similar discussion to this on the TES forums years ago. The conclusion was that it seems frustrating as there are no animations to indicate a missed/dodged attack. So it always looks like you are hitting something square in the face, so combat seems broken.
It is annoying for the first few levels, then after that it's hardly noticable, especially if you get absorbed into the storyline/exploration.

All games have one aspect that you hate, which usually leads to mods to try and "fix". Good job no game is perfect, otherwise there would never be mods :p

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
All games have one aspect that you hate, which usually leads to mods to try and "fix". Good job no game is perfect, otherwise there would never be mods :p
Well mods can also be made for the purpose of enhancing the game rather than fixing it. Some mods' contents would not really be fitting as part of the vanilla game.

Reactions: 1SDAN

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Well mods can also be made for the purpose of enhancing the game rather than fixing it. Some mods' contents would not really be fitting as part of the vanilla game.
What, you mean bikini battle armour isn't a part of Skyrim? :p

Seriously though, true.

Reactions: 1SDAN

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.

You can sculpt/build with you own poop, AND wear it too?
I approve. This is getting installed.

I used to say that 20+ years ago, so nothing new. Gameplay before Graphics always. Graphics can always be improved at a later date. (Out of the TES series, my fav is Morrowind, and it looks amazing with texture and model replacers).
But I do have to use a texture pack for MC though, I just find the default 16x too low res for the size of the 1 meter blocks. I use Misa's 64x as a base. Closest in design to vanilla, and more neutral colours so my eyes are not burned.

This is WHY consoles (and since then PC) has fallen into a pit.
With the older systems the graphics were pushed to the upper limit; so to sell the 'best' product you actually had to design the rest of the game. (your product is visually indistinguishable to your rivals)

Currently there is no real ceiling for graphical fidelity, so [almost] every design team is focused on making stuff pretty.
Pretty is a visible commodity that is very easy to sell. Sophisticated gameplay and design is a lot harder to show off- since it needs to be experienced rather than seen.

There'll still be plenty of joke mods like the poop armour, or character mods [Thomas the Tank Engine/MLP Skyrim dragons].

Status
Not open for further replies.