[ReactorCraft] ReC Mechanics Thread

metnavman

Jul 29, 2019
Changing that stuff can blend it all in perfectly, it would just take an extreme re-working in your case since you have the structure built already.

I'm confused how you think that, as the Injectors are set structures with a Pipe coming out the rear-end. The blocking has to come after that pipe, so it's always going to be one block further out than everything else, unless they don't spawn from the actual injector block in the center of the injector where "stuff and things" takes place. That would negate the need for a block right there.

zemerick said:
4 injectors should easily power 16 HPTs actually btw. In fact, 17 is actually possible.

Exciting! I have no idea where I'd put all of those though. >< I've got room for about half that currently. Oof.

zemerick said:
It's kind of hard to see clearly, but if there is any normal block between the absorbers and the ring, that can spawn radiation. Pipes and such are fine, Boilers should be fine, but something like concrete would be bad. Liquids can be bad too.

Weird. There's nothing "in line" but there are a couple places where Carpenter's blocks are in place, though they should all be one block below the neutron line. I'll keep playing with it. You've definitely given me plenty to work with towards solving it, so I appreciate it!

zemerick said:
There are actually 6 types of neutrons: Decay, Waste, Fission, Fusion, Breeder, Thorium. Most of their differences are just sort of what they work with, but this isn't an area I know too well.

Yep yep, familiar with all of that. I know that absorbers don't work on fission neutrons, and reflectors don't work on fusion neutrons, so it's actually not far-fetched for them to also not respect the block adsorptions for hlsa, bedrock, etc. I'll swap everything out for absorbers and see what's what.

zemerick said:
As it stands, yes, you will have a certain amount of radiation in the area of the injectors. There are limiters that should keep the radiation under control, so it doesn't cause lag. ( There's a bug with flowing corium, but I haven't heard of anything else having that bug. )

Alright cool. I'll keep an eye on it then and see how it evolves with some of the changes we've discussed. Thanks man!

I've seen that corium bug. If you look through the github, as I've seen you on there, you'll see me there as well, with one of my reports being that exact thing. That bug is horrible, lol!

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
I'm confused how you think that, as the Injectors are set structures with a Pipe coming out the rear-end. The blocking has to come after that pipe, so it's always going to be one block further out than everything else, unless they don't spawn from the actual injector block in the center of the injector where "stuff and things" takes place. That would negate the need for a block right there.

That's what I'm saying: You have the absorbers behind pipes, and you just blend that into the design, as you already had to do with the injectors. ( Well, if you hadn't already built yours. ) It's an essential part as the neutrons can come out of anywhere in the ring. Plasma completely ignores all blocks, and fusion occurs anywhere there is plasma.

Exciting! I have no idea where I'd put all of those though. >< I've got room for about half that currently. Oof.

Yea...now imagine actually building them, doubly so if you also attach generators on the ends. I've done that way too many times at this point:(

Btw: For testing purposes, 1 stage consumes the exact same amount of steam as all 7 stages, so you don't have to build it all out.

Weird. There's nothing "in line" but there are a couple places where Carpenter's blocks are in place, though they should all be one block below the neutron line. I'll keep playing with it. You've definitely given me plenty to work with towards solving it, so I appreciate it!

Definitely odd, as nothing else really seemed to be in the way, and those radiation seem to be too far from the injectors for those to have been the source. It takes a full, opaque block to emit radiation ( unless it's specifically coded to. )

Yep yep, familiar with all of that. I know that absorbers don't work on fission neutrons, and reflectors don't work on fusion neutrons, so it's actually not far-fetched for them to also not respect the block adsorptions for hlsa, bedrock, etc. I'll swap everything out for absorbers and see what's what.

Alright cool. I'll keep an eye on it then and see how it evolves with some of the changes we've discussed. Thanks man!

Good luck, hopefully you have enough info to sort things out, and NP, always glad to help. If you ever have any more questions regarding the Fusion reactor, I know it pretty well at this point, so feel free to ask:)

I've seen that corium bug. If you look through the github, as I've seen you on there, you'll see me there as well, with one of my reports being that exact thing. That bug is horrible, lol!

Indeed. It could get out of hand surprisingly fast.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
If randomly-irradiated interior blocks is something that's just going to happen, that's fine, but it really shouldn't and causes lag if they're allowed to slowly stack up without regular cleaning. I have no intention of continuously going in there to clean up radiation dots.

I have confirmed with Reika that this is NOT working as intended. The Injectors should not cause radiation.

Also, he did indeed think you were talking about Reflectors, so Absorbers should still be 100%.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
This may seem like a silly question, but why are there 6 types of neutrons?

Isn't a neutron a neutron?

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
This may seem like a silly question, but why are there 6 types of neutrons?

Isn't a neutron a neutron?

The main differences are what objects they affect, so that you have to build different parts for the different reactors. There's also some caveat points, like will it irradiate fluids.

This is a combination of real world ( where there are fast and "thermal/slow" neutrons ), and gameplay ( forcing and incentivizing certain constructions over others as needed for the different types. )

Note in the real world, if you want to be technical, there are more classifications of neutrons, but that's because it's really just a scale. Neutrons don't come in set speeds/energies, so people just make categories based off of the different energies for different reactions. These categories significantly overlap, as most definitions are simply "over/under x energy", depending on what attribute you care about. In reactors, it's mainly fast/slow, with 1MeV being the divider.

You can read the basics of it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutron_temperature

I

ichmagPopcorn

Did the minimum required charge for toroid magnets change? All I remember is every magnet needs to be charged to a minimum of 1000kV. I'm currently building a reactor on my server and I can't get it to work. I've placed my magnets twice, restartet the server inbetween and checked the correct orientation multiple times using the waila tooltips, the blueprint marker and the debug key. They all got enough liquid nitrogen supplied by RoC liquid pipes and the lowest charge on them jumps between 11000 and 13000kV. There are purple sparks jumping across all magnets. I generate the charge with 4 Van De Graffs, positioned with 1 block space inbetween the magnet and the Van De Graff. They are powered by two microturbines, each supplying power to two Van de Graffs via Electricraft Induction Generators and Induction Motors, connected by superconducting wires. Each Van de Graff is receiving 1.049MW at 8192rad/s. When using the debug key on the toroids, they show "next: 0b" and if the solenoid is spinning, they show "solenoid: 1b". Hitting the Van De Graffs with the Angular Transducer shows the range changing between 0m and 4m. The 4 injectors are set to inject the plasma clockwise.
I don't have any other idea what possibly could have gone wrong.

Thanks in advance
ichmagPopcorn

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Did the minimum required charge for toroid magnets change? All I remember is every magnet needs to be charged to a minimum of 1000kV. I'm currently building a reactor on my server and I can't get it to work. I've placed my magnets twice, restartet the server inbetween and checked the correct orientation multiple times using the waila tooltips, the blueprint marker and the debug key. They all got enough liquid nitrogen supplied by RoC liquid pipes and the lowest charge on them jumps between 11000 and 13000kV. There are purple sparks jumping across all magnets. I generate the charge with 4 Van De Graffs, positioned with 1 block space inbetween the magnet and the Van De Graff. They are powered by two microturbines, each supplying power to two Van de Graffs via Electricraft Induction Generators and Induction Motors, connected by superconducting wires. Each Van de Graff is receiving 1.049MW at 8192rad/s. When using the debug key on the toroids, they show "next: 0b" and if the solenoid is spinning, they show "solenoid: 1b". Hitting the Van De Graffs with the Angular Transducer shows the range changing between 0m and 4m. The 4 injectors are set to inject the plasma clockwise.
I don't have any other idea what possibly could have gone wrong.

Thanks in advance
ichmagPopcorn

You are correct on the charge: You only need 1,000. ( You can easily manage this with a few DC or steam engines. Torque/speed don't matter, just total power so you can remove any gear boxes. )

The next:0b is your problem. That is the check for a complete circle failing. One immediate issue with that is your injector direction: CW causes problems. Turn them to face CCW ( Or just move any injectors outside of the ring. ) You might need to spin some of the toroids to get them to update. ( There's a specific one that's best. IIRC it's on the east side, first toroid to the north. )

To be clear, for the toroids the 4 things are:
next = 1b
solenoid = 1b
LN2 > 0
Charge >= 1000

I

ichmagPopcorn

Thank you a lot!
i turned around each of my injectors and gave each toroid a spin. The parameter "next" still was 0b. It turned out that you need to have the solenoid spinning as well in order to make the "next" check successful.

Zaromas

Jul 29, 2019
I have to say, the last couple of pages of this thread has been a great read!

Now for an utter newb question: is the only way to turn off an HTGR to remove all of the pellets? I set up my first HTGR to LPT and was horrified at how much lube the turbine was sucking up. So there I was wondering how to stop everything so I could work on lube production, but alas - no simple task...

I've done basic ender IO things to evacuate the cores, but it's not efficient at all.

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Aye; the only way to explicitly turn off an HTGR is to remove all the fuel from it, first. I don't think the control rods would work on them like they do on the proper fission reactors. If EnderIO isn't working sufficiently (it can be a tad slow, from what I've seen), you might could try Mekanism, if you've got it and/or don't mind tacking it on. I'm not 100% sure, but you might could do it with the pneumatic item pumps from RoC. I've not used them for multiple inputs/outputs.

Zaromas

Jul 29, 2019
Aye; the only way to explicitly turn off an HTGR is to remove all the fuel from it, first. I don't think the control rods would work on them like they do on the proper fission reactors. If EnderIO isn't working sufficiently (it can be a tad slow, from what I've seen), you might could try Mekanism, if you've got it and/or don't mind tacking it on. I'm not 100% sure, but you might could do it with the pneumatic item pumps from RoC. I've not used them for multiple inputs/outputs.

Thank you, I was afraid of that. I would put just one pellet at a time in, but I'm stacked 2 high, so the bottom cores have to fill in order to keep even 1 in the top... annoying AF...

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Aah, aye. Though, it does at least make sense logically, since you always fill from the bottom first, unless you're filling something with a gas.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I have to say, the last couple of pages of this thread has been a great read!

Now for an utter newb question: is the only way to turn off an HTGR to remove all of the pellets? I set up my first HTGR to LPT and was horrified at how much lube the turbine was sucking up. So there I was wondering how to stop everything so I could work on lube production, but alas - no simple task...

I've done basic ender IO things to evacuate the cores, but it's not efficient at all.

Am I missing something?

Thanks!
Redstone will shut down a steam grate.

Zaromas

Jul 29, 2019
Redstone will shut down a steam grate.

Maybe, but that doesn't stop the reactor, just the LPT. It's the 'chewing through pellets' that I was hoping to stop. My buddy and I are trying to see if I've exhausted all options with EnderIO...

It's good to know there's a quick way to stop the lube consumption, though - thx Reika :)