ReactorCraft! Radiation is bad?

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Its tricky because you'll need to consider treating it as dangerous to carry as well.

I decided that the pellets were prepared with a shield that was opened/peeled-back by the fuel core mechanism, but were otherwise safe to work with outside of that.

So long as I can put them safely into something however, I'd be happy. (I don't run my reactor in continuous cycles right now because frankly I don't trust it :p )

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Its tricky because you'll need to consider treating it as dangerous to carry as well.

I decided that the pellets were prepared with a shield that was opened/peeled-back by the fuel core mechanism, but were otherwise safe to work with outside of that.

So long as I can put them safely into something however, I'd be happy. (I don't run my reactor in continuous cycles right now because frankly I don't trust it :p )
Actually, making it dangerous to carry in large amounts is easy; doing it in a chest is rather harder. I will definitely do that. Say, more than 128 on hand and you catch fire. More than 256, and you get radiation sickness. More than 1024...maybe you explode?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I meant tricky in that you'd have to consider whether to expose it the same way as waste (to a lesser degree). But since all the code is basically already there, why not?

With the chest thing, I wonder if you could make it melt a hole in the ground X blocks deep :p

Edited to add: doesn't this mean that really, pellets begin depleting immediately and constantly? The really annoying drawback of all this is stackability :(

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I meant tricky in that you'd have to consider whether to expose it the same way as waste (to a lesser degree). But since all the code is basically already there, why not?

With the chest thing, I wonder if you could make it melt a hole in the ground X blocks deep :p

Edited to add: doesn't this mean that really, pellets begin depleting immediately and constantly? The really annoying drawback of all this is stackability :(
No. Pellets and pebbles only decay on fission events; random radiation emission does not cause this.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Need a (real life) briefer: is it valid to think that the random radiation emissions (which you're considering rendering as dangerous), cause "negligible" depletion rather than none at all?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Need a (real life) briefer: is it valid to think that the random radiation emissions (which you're considering rendering as dangerous), cause "negligible" depletion rather than none at all?
You would be entirely correct. Both in-reactor and random decay are the same process; that rate is just expedited enormously in a reactor.

Colensocon1

Jul 29, 2019
You would be entirely correct. Both in-reactor and random decay are the same process; that rate is just expedited enormously in a reactor.
I realize this is a little off topic but still what is the point of nuclear fuel if you can just void it?

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
I realize this is a little off topic but still what is the point of nuclear fuel if you can just void it?

Its not suppose to be voidable and Reika has already blocked all means of doing so that are with in his power to prevent. But naturally that does not stop other mods from allowing it to be voided as it would not be practical to stop them.

Colensocon1

Jul 29, 2019
Its not suppose to be voidable and Reika has already blocked all means of doing so that are with in his power to prevent. But naturally that does not stop other mods from allowing it to be voided as it would not be practical to stop them.
Even if it's not void able you can just put it in say a different type of chest like iron chest and far away from your home or just dump it on the ground and wait for a despawn so I don't get why it shouldn't be voidable

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
Even if it's not void able you can just put it in say a different type of chest like iron chest and far away from your home or just dump it on the ground and wait for a despawn so I don't get why it shouldn't be voidable
Because the mod is supposed to be realistic. It adds waste containers that are cheap to make. A cooling pool like a real reactor has for spent fuel can be made. It all goes with the realism part of the mod. Dealing with the waste is no huge task really, just another facet of the realism Reika has gone for. Not like he went all Greg on us and makes you build a containment building out of special materials that requires power 24/7. Some steel and a chest and you are good.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
We can do that in real life too with hazardous waste, (dumping it anywhere) but we don't (hopefully) :)

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Actually, I have not yet taken actions to persuade RailCraft, BC, ThaumCraft, and a few others.

Colensocon1

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, I have not yet taken actions to persuade RailCraft, BC, ThaumCraft, and a few others.
Tbh though it is impossible to stop all ways of removing them since currently I'm in a void age so I just dump them into the void I don't think you can act acctully change this

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
That one at least strikes me as a more-or-less fair and plausible alternative.

If Real-Life-Earth had easy access to, say, a black hole, we'd toss all our crap in there.

Reactions: trajing

null123

Mar 27, 2014
An easy, but impractical way to fix this, would be to call a function, to check if the container it is being pumped into is on a list (which would list all voiding blocks that you know about), and if return equals true, then it won't pump into it. The dropping it onto the ground and waiting for it to despawn, as well as voiding it. An easy fix for the first one is that players can't throw it, and do something similar to the list idea for it, so people can't just use turtles to drop it. As for the voiding thing, maybe it can't pump into a tesseract, ender tank etc. Also, maybe make it so it cant spill onto the ground unless there are x blocks nearby (the machines for your reactor thing). At the end of the day, you can only do so much. If players really want to, they are going to find a way to bypass it.

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
An easy, but impractical way to fix this, would be to call a function, to check if the container it is being pumped into is on a list (which would list all voiding blocks that you know about), and if return equals true, then it won't pump into it. The dropping it onto the ground and waiting for it to despawn, as well as voiding it. An easy fix for the first one is that players can't throw it, and do something similar to the list idea for it, so people can't just use turtles to drop it. As for the voiding thing, maybe it can't pump into a tesseract, ender tank etc. Also, maybe make it so it cant spill onto the ground unless there are x blocks nearby (the machines for your reactor thing). At the end of the day, you can only do so much. If players really want to, they are going to find a way to bypass it.
Why bother with so much work coding? People who want to bypass the intended game play will do it one way or another. Just like any other exploit, self regulation is really the only way. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

null123

Mar 27, 2014
I know, it was just a thought. Ofc this would help on some SMP servers but I digress.