ReactorCraft! Radiation is bad?

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Finally got my nuclear power station running last night. Hurray, its producing ridiculous amounts of power (for me).

Couple things:
1) Anyone else get weird behaviour with the turbines shifting direction? (They'll suddenly reverse which way they point and I'll get 0 power for a split second) I'm using 5 turbines back to back as observed from tutorial videos. My boilers are barely at 100C, so its possible something weird happens if things cool down too much.

2) Anyone know which waste goes into which disposal unit? The manual says "longer lived" waste goes into the disposal drum, and waste with "shorter half-lives" goes into the spent spent fuel container. Unable to find details on what constitutes long vs short (1 year? 1 day? 1 hour?)

3) For those wondering whether its worth it to build one, I'm getting terajoules of power from a single round of uranium pellets (9 pellets). And mine's running very inefficiently because a) I can't remove the waste which I suspect is killing efficiency, and b) my design blows.

I'll update the damn wiki myself if I can get enough info on this.

Reactions: abculatter_2

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
I've been attempting to make a fusion reactor, but I know as little or less then you.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Did you at least start with the fission version first? I understand there's some substantial resource gathering to be done (30k magnetite is being thrown around a lot) and the extra juice could be handy.

I dumped 4TW (TJ?) into a bedrock industrial coil, and I'm tunnel boring at <6s per section now to gather stuff, yay. Wish I could figure out how to enchant the thing, I believe its supposed to be possible to get silk touch on these things somehow.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Did you at least start with the fission version first? I understand there's some substantial resource gathering to be done (30k magnetite is being thrown around a lot) and the extra juice could be handy.

I dumped 4TW (TJ?) into a bedrock industrial coil, and I'm tunnel boring at <6s per section now to gather stuff, yay. Wish I could figure out how to enchant the thing, I believe its supposed to be possible to get silk touch on these things somehow.
You right click the machine with the book I believe.
And I have plenty of power. Not worried at all.

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
@Reika, I was really hoping to leave you alone so you could focus on giving your undeserving fanbase more toys.

I honestly cannot find any answers to this. I'd like to know if there's a specific trick to knowing which nuclear waste goes into which container. I tried dumping everything into the spent fuel container (before I read the manual), put it in a lake, and I believe it melted.

I noticed some of the waste has different colored names (red vs white maybe? I'm colorblind.) Is that a tipoff?

I checked the manual under waste and the specific containers.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
@Reika, I was really hoping to leave you alone so you could focus on giving your undeserving fanbase more toys.

I honestly cannot find any answers to this. I'd like to know if there's a specific trick to knowing which nuclear waste goes into which container. I tried dumping everything into the spent fuel container (before I read the manual), put it in a lake, and I believe it melted.

I noticed some of the waste has different colored names (red vs white maybe? I'm colorblind.) Is that a tipoff?

I checked the manual under waste and the specific containers.
The cutoff is 1 year of halflife.

Also, keep in mind that TE conduits have a bug where they do not respect the "only one item per slot" rule of the Waste Container and this will cause it to melt down.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The cutoff is 1 year of halflife.

Also, keep in mind that TE conduits have a bug where they do not respect the "only one item per slot" rule of the Waste Container and this will cause it to melt down.
Much appreciated, particularly the TE hint. Do you have recommended methods of transportation?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
"Time to move"

Achievement...unwanted :p

I wonder if the waste collecting in the fuel rods caused the issue or the whole thing really managed to overheat. Bleh.

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
"Time to move"

Achievement...unwanted :p

I wonder if the waste collecting in the fuel rods caused the issue or the whole thing really managed to overheat. Bleh.
LMAO What an achievement. Hope you didn't lose your base, but it is funny he added that. That is why I always treat nuclear in game like I would in the real world. I am not living near it.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
LMAO What an achievement. Hope you didn't lose your base, but it is funny he added that. That is why I always treat nuclear in game like I would in the real world. I am not living near it.
I live near it, and the only thing I got from it was cheap ($0.03/kWh) power. :D
Pickering16.gif

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
I live near it, and the only thing I got from it was cheap ($0.03/kWh) power. :D
Pickering16.gif
I have one about 30 miles north and another 40 miles south. I just meant it wouldn't be right next to my base..just in case. I have more faith in the people controlling a real reactor than myself paying attention to a MC one. I recently was given the opportunity to build the new base that I had been procrastinating on after I walked away from an industrial coil for a few minutes too long. :p At least that crater wasn't contaminated. LOL

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I couldn't find any info on waste disposal, so I took the liberty of saving my world before I turned the damn thing on. The explosion wasn't nearly as bad as, say, your industrial coil bursting. But watching nearby creatures die was amusing.

Getting a bit frustrated trying to figure out the waste thing. Nooobody has posted a video on this (nothing up to date for certain.) nor do wikis contain specific info. And "testing" any given setup takes hours, since that's how long it takes it to become an obvious problem. (My reactor heat was fine, I just came back after a few minutes and found everything glowy and messy and painful)

:p
The waste collecting only impedes the reaction. More likely, you had a loss of water or a "steam clog".

That's actually really good info. So the fuel rods actually function as waste containers for a while if you don't mind that your reaction becomes increasingly inefficient.

I had been monitoring the water situation and it was fine last I checked (3x engineers-accumulators). Dunno if I'll try this again soon; it probably ran for around 8 hours before exploding and i'm not sure what to do to look for issues other than sit there for 8 hours and watch it.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I couldn't find any info on waste disposal, so I took the liberty of saving my world before I turned the damn thing on. The explosion wasn't nearly as bad as, say, your industrial coil bursting. But watching nearby creatures die was amusing.

Getting a bit frustrated trying to figure out the waste thing. Nooobody has posted a video on this (nothing up to date for certain.) nor do wikis contain specific info. And "testing" any given setup takes hours, since that's how long it takes it to become an obvious problem. (My reactor heat was fine, I just came back after a few minutes and found everything glowy and messy and painful)
Did the chunks unload?

SuperSplit

Jul 29, 2019
I would pump the waste into a tesseract and send it to a seperate mystcraft age and just forget about the age

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Did the chunks unload?
Very possible. Should reactors stay chunkloaded? And the water source tank isn't even in the same chunk as the reactor (I've fixed in the meantime)

I would pump the waste into a tesseract and send it to a seperate mystcraft age and just forget about the age

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
I didn't even think of that, that's hilarious. I picture hapless denizens of that age wondering who the hell is dumping radioactive garbage in their backyard. Suckers.
I cheated even worse than that. Trash can blocks ftw. If the waste situation smooths out at all (better mouseover info would be good, and wrong waste bins refusing to accept invalid waste), I'll play it more legit.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Very possible. Should reactors stay chunkloaded? And the water source tank isn't even in the same chunk as the reactor (I've fixed in the meantime)
Yes, an unloaded reactor will melt down.

I cheated even worse than that. Trash can blocks ftw. If the waste situation smooths out at all (better mouseover info would be good, and wrong waste bins refusing to accept invalid waste), I'll play it more legit.
That will not work forever.