ReactorCraft Fission Reactor Designs

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
The explosion is of a fundamentally different type, where blast resistance has little meaning. Also, the main problem is in how to deal with this "feedback loop".
I am aware of the fact that it's coded differently, I mean code it so that it respects blast resistance, so that the percentage chance of destruction is lowered with higher blast resistance. I wouldn't imagine it would be difficult to do, since you're already telling the blocks to move/be destroyed.

If you do this, it will give players a way to reduce/prevent the feedback loop themselves, which would make sense that one would want to prepare for the worst.

Last edited:

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I am aware of the fact that it's coded differently, I mean code it so that it respects blast resistance, so that the percentage chance of destruction is lowered with higher blast resistance. I wouldn't imagine it would be difficult to do, since you're already telling the blocks to move/be destroyed.

If you do this, it will give players a way to reduce/prevent the feedback loop themselves, which would make sense that one would want to prepare for the worst.

I already have a registry of material to resistance.

Braidedheadman

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any use for chlorine gas at this point? I apologize is this has turned up elsewhere, but once again I've searched high and low and have not found any recommendations other than, "Just dump it." I saw some community suggestions toward making it a component in circuit board production (this was as far back as 2013), boosting the number of boards produced, but I haven't been able to dig up any recipes in NEI and no documentation exists for it anywhere that I could find.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Is there any use for chlorine gas at this point? I apologize is this has turned up elsewhere, but once again I've searched high and low and have not found any recommendations other than, "Just dump it." I saw some community suggestions toward making it a component in circuit board production (this was as far back as 2013), boosting the number of boards produced, but I haven't been able to dig up any recipes in NEI and no documentation exists for it anywhere that I could find.
As far as I remember, it has no use. I do remember considering allowing it to be used in the defoliator, but I am not sure if that ever was implemented.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Well, given that chloride gas is lethal in real life...

...TESTING TIME!

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

Braidedheadman

Jul 29, 2019
Did the suggested industrial uses for chlorine gas (circuit boards, etc.) fall outside the scope of your mods? I haven't progressed enough yet to crack open ElC, but using chlorine in circuit/wafer board construction seemed like a good one. From what I've read, and as a brief refresher; along with oxygen, some of the balance concerns at that time centered around gating key components behind late-game materials (gases) or creating dependencies on having reactorcraft installed (not sure why someone wouldn't want it, I'm thoroughly enjoying the progression beyond RC). Did you ever conclude or do you still feel that this would be a problem?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Did the suggested industrial uses for chlorine gas (circuit boards, etc.) fall outside the scope of your mods? I haven't progressed enough yet to crack open ElC, but using chlorine in circuit/wafer board construction seemed like a good one. From what I've read, and as a brief refresher; along with oxygen, some of the balance concerns at that time centered around gating key components behind late-game materials (gases) or creating dependencies on having reactorcraft installed (not sure why someone wouldn't want it, I'm thoroughly enjoying the progression beyond RC). Did you ever conclude or do you still feel that this would be a problem?
I did not want to spend time implementing a feature that would only be useful with ReC and which would be of little actual gameplay utility.

Braidedheadman

Jul 29, 2019
That's fair enough. Final question then: In the future, do you envision a use for chlorine such that I would have a reason to stockpile it? Or is it safe to dump for all intents and purposes?

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
I cannot promise either way.
Something that might give some ideas is uses for chlorofluorocarbons, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorofluorocarbon

In particular, refrigerants and propellants might have some use. Perhaps a much more effective alternative to liquid nitrogen?

EDIT: Some chlorofluorocarbons also apparently have some use in fire-fighting, in particular; "Carbon tetrachloride (CCl4) was used in fire extinguishers and glass "anti-fire grenades" from the late nineteenth century until around the end of World War II."

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Something that might give some ideas is uses for chlorofluorocarbons, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorofluorocarbon

In particular, refrigerants and propellants might have some use. Perhaps a much more effective alternative to liquid nitrogen?

EDIT: Some chlorofluorocarbons also apparently have some use in fire-fighting, in particular; "Carbon tetrachloride (CCl4) was used in fire extinguishers and glass "anti-fire grenades" from the late nineteenth century until around the end of World War II."
Gas-based weaponry and similar is not implementable in a realistic fashion, and I am not interested in making what are effectively hyperexpensive splash potions.

CapJackH

Jul 29, 2019
Chlorine in water solutions creates a balanced reaction to create hydrochloric and hypochlorous acid. Hydrochloric acid is used in the processing of sooo many chemicals. And hypochlorous acid is the primary component and active ingredient of bleach. Maybe a way to undye objects, or clean dirty water etc?

Other than bleaching applications and weaponry as stated, chlorine seems to be used in plastic manufacturing, particularly PVC, but that seems out of the scope of RoC.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I dunno, weaponizing chlorine gas would be pretty cool. Kinda like the ICBM nerve gas bombs/grenades/rockets. Those were GREAT for clearing out tainted biomes to de-taint them.

CapJackH

Jul 29, 2019
As is water purification and any heavy chemical processing.
Water purification would be interesting. hmm. like turning MFR sewage into clean water.. No point in adding a feature just to process another mod's liquids, but the idea is interesting.

Could chlorine be used to clean up any of the reactor containment issues that were being thrown around? I suppose that is more about leeching off dissolved isotopes out of the environment, but I'm sure there is needed cleaning to do somewhere in modded mc... :p

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Water purification would be interesting. hmm. like turning MFR sewage into clean water.. No point in adding a feature just to process another mod's liquids, but the idea is interesting.

Could chlorine be used to clean up any of the reactor containment issues that were being thrown around? I suppose that is more about leeching off dissolved isotopes out of the environment, but I'm sure there is needed cleaning to do somewhere in modded mc... :p
Chlorine will do &@$% all to clean radiation. :p

Reactions: Pyure

Braidedheadman

Jul 29, 2019
In other news, I've been tinkering with breeder reactors (a 9-core 3x3 test reactor to be precise). I'm quite surprised by the rate and amount of radioactive waste production. It has filled a volume in mere minutes that took a similarly sized LWR fission reactor hours to produce (I don't have precise figures). Is it something I'm doing wrong?

Also, is the following recipe correct?

1zcie6r.png

6 wool, 48 superconducting wire >> 3 insulated superconducting wire