ReactorCraft Fission Reactor Designs

LC14199

Jul 29, 2019
Unless this is more powerful than the reactor that spawned it, I do not see a major balance issue, and I am very well aware of this providing an incentive for properly disposing of waste.

Lots of explodey things if you don't dispose of your waste properly :p

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
So, anyone able/willing to provide some numbers, even vague ones, on just how much more power you can get from breeding over normal reactors?
I've actually never tried anything other then breeders, since i figured the 4x (if i remember correctly, it's been awhile since i've actually played) fuel pellets AND them being turned into plutonium would make which is more efficient with fuel a no-brainer.
Also, on a related note, what is the cut-off when a half-life is considered short or long? And does the short-term waste ever actually decay?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
So, anyone able/willing to provide some numbers, even vague ones, on just how much more power you can get from breeding over normal reactors?
I've actually never tried anything other then breeders, since i figured the 4x (if i remember correctly, it's been awhile since i've actually played) fuel pellets AND them being turned into plutonium would make which is more efficient with fuel a no-brainer.
Also, on a related note, what is the cut-off when a half-life is considered short or long? And does the short-term waste ever actually decay?
Are you using V3c?

Braidedheadman

Jul 29, 2019
I'll be the first to admit that my Googlefu isn't the best there is, but at the same time it's not too shabby either. I've searched high and low for information regarding the rate of consumption for HP-Turbines and haven't come up with anything concrete. There was this comment that I saw, claiming that two HP-turbines will consume ~2 buckets per second, however it was not substantiated anywhere else that I could see.

To that end, I'm necro'ing this old thread with some (hopefully) useful data that I've gathered experimentally through a set of timed trial runs and calculating an average rate of lubricant consumption based upon observable results. If this data exists elsewhere in a different format, I apologize, but here's what I've come up with:

Calculating the rate of lubricant consumption for one HP-Turbine:

The test setup:
  • An 18-core fission reactor producing steam with a slow buildup of surplus, allowing the HPT to run continuously at full power.
  • One TE creative portable tank set to output lubricant into,
  • One TE resonant portable tank (512000 mb capacity) receiving a supply of lubricant from the creative tank until full.
  • Two levers, one each to toggle output on and off for both the creative and resonant tanks.
  • EnderIO Ender Fluid Conduits, set to output only with an RSS from the levers. Connect the outputs in the following order: Creative tank >> resonant tank >> HPT.
Method:

With the HPT wound up and running at full power, its internal tanks full of lubricant; cut the lubricant supply from the creative tank into the resonant tank (ensuring that it, too, is first full), while simultaneously starting a timer counting down from one minute through to zero. After one minute, cut the supply from the resonant tank to the HP turbine and record the amount of lubricant remaining in the resonant tank. Return all lubricant supply lines to their opened state, allow all tanks to refill and stabilize. Repeat through ten iterations and calculate an average rate of consumption.
Results:

1: 469744 mb
2: 469742 mb
3: 469821 mb
4: 469718 mb
5: 469844 mb
6: 469752 mb
7: 469685 mb
8: 469859 mb
9: 469815 mb
10: 469743 mb
Average Rate:

= 42227.7 mb per minute.
= 703.795 mb per second.
= 35.19 mb/t
There you have it, folks! I welcome peer review. I'd like to enter this data into a wiki at some point, so I do want to make sure that it is factually correct.​

Last edited:

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
What difficulty level did you have minecraft set to when you did this, and there is a difficulty in the Rotarycraft config too, what was it set to?

As I recall the lubrication requirement scales from both values.

I applaud your numbers though!

Braidedheadman

Jul 29, 2019
Hmmmm... I had not considered the difficulty setting at the time when I did this but my test world was set to normal peaceful and RoC was set to 2. Any idea how much this will skew the results?

.... I think. I know I messed with the difficulty in order to address certain problems in other tests that I had running concurrently and now I can't remember what the setting might have been. Will retest and post results shortly.

The new results are in:

Results (Difficulty - Normal, RoC=2):

Average Rate:

= 42113 mb per minute
= 701.882 mb per second
= 35.09 mb per tick
From this I can conclude that either 1.) I was in fact running in MC=Normal(2) difficulty at the time of the first test or, 2.) Lubricant production does not scale significantly with the MC difficulty level. Perhaps @Reika could offer some clarification?

If the latter case is true, then it might be useful, since we have the data, to sharpen the average a little and find the aggregate average from both trial runs, which in this case would be 42170.35 mb per minute.

Last edited:

JohnOC

Jul 29, 2019
As best I can tell, being only beginner/intermediate with Java, the Minecraft difficulty has no effect on Rotarycraft lubricant production or use.

Production:
It looks like each rotarycraft difficulty level sets a range for a random number generator to produce an integer number of mB of lube from each input seed.

Usage:
Turbines seem to use a fixed amount of lubricant every time a timer crosses a value that is determined by the rotarycraft difficulty setting.
On each updateEntity (of each turbine core tile in the multiblock) it checks if its been more than the threshold number of updates since the last time it used lubricant, and consumes 100mB if it has been.
So, on normal difficulty, and assuming 20 TPS, a 7-stage HP turbine should use 700mB per second of lubricant.

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
On a slightly more practical level than x mB/t, on default RoC difficulty, my rule of thumb is one 1-tick grinder and centrifuge per 3 HP turbines. A 1-tick grinder alone generates a slight net loss of lubricant, and adding a centrifuge tips me slightly into net gain.

Braidedheadman

Jul 29, 2019
That's good to know! Part of the reason for wanting to know what the rate of consumption was, however, had to do with selecting appropriate fluid conduits with which to supply the HP-Turbine(s), most of which have a maximum throughput. Obviously, given what we know from experimentation and reading the code, most pipes/conduits should be able to handle the volumes shown above, but I still think it was a worthwhile effort. :)

Last edited:

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
On a slightly more practical level than x mB/t, on default RoC difficulty, my rule of thumb is one 1-tick grinder and centrifuge per 3 HP turbines. A 1-tick grinder alone generates a slight net loss of lubricant, and adding a centrifuge tips me slightly into net gain.
The grinders aren't the problem here. What kind of canola farm do you need to produce the required amount of canola seed? And how many entities are flying around at any time, causing fps lag, on that farm? The only thing that would mitigate that problem, compared to the RoC version I played a year ago, is to increase the amount of lubricant you get per seed, given the total amount required remains the same.

BTW, what else is affected by the RoC difficulty parameter?

Last edited:

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
The grinders aren't the problem here. What kind of canola farm do you need to produce the required amount of canola seed? And how many entities are flying around at any time, causing fps lag, on that farm? The only thing that would mitigate that problem, compared to the RoC version I played a year ago, is to increase the amount of lubricant you get per seed, given the total amount required remains the same.

BTW, what else is affected by the RoC difficulty parameter?
https://github.com/ReikaKalseki/RotaryCraft/blob/master/Registry/DifficultyEffects.java#L18

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Thanks. Now I'd like to understand what some of those mean. Here's what I understand and don't understand. Can anyone complete the list?

BEDROCKDUST: amount of bedrock dust you get from breaking one bedrock block.
PIPECRAFT: number of pipes you get from one crafting recipe
PARTCRAFT: number of ???? you get from one crafting recipe. What is it?
BELTCRAFT: number of belts you get from one crafting recipe
COMPACTOR: no idea
SMALLCRAFT: number of ??? you get from one crafting recipe? What is it?
BONUSSTEEL: no idea
JETFAILURE: no idea
CONSUMEFRAC: modifier for the amount of raw material used up by the fractionizer in one production cycle, not quite sure how it works.
PRODUCEFRAC: lower and upper limits for the amount of jet fuel produced in one production cycle.
BREAKCOIL: no idea
FURNACEMELT: no idea. I'd have guessed it's a temperature, but a furnace melting at 150 degrees makes no sense.
CANOLA: lower and upper limit for the amount of lubricant produced by grinding one unit of canola seeds.
RAILGUNCRAFT: number of ??? you get from one crafting recipe. No idea what ??? is. I haven't used railguns before, is it railgun ammo?
LUBEUSAGE: multiplier for the amount of lubricant used by blocks that require lubricant.
JETINGESTFAIL: no idea. I'd have guessed it's some failure chance for the gas turbine, but the numbers are too high for that.
FRACTIONTEAR: the probability that the fractionizer uses up its ghast tear, per production cycle.

You know, it would be nice to be able to set these parameters individually.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Thanks. Now I'd like to understand what some of those mean. Here's what I understand and don't understand. Can anyone complete the list?

BEDROCKDUST: amount of bedrock dust you get from breaking one bedrock block.
PIPECRAFT: number of pipes you get from one crafting recipe
PARTCRAFT: number of ???? you get from one crafting recipe. What is it?
BELTCRAFT: number of belts you get from one crafting recipe
COMPACTOR: no idea
SMALLCRAFT: number of ??? you get from one crafting recipe? What is it?
BONUSSTEEL: no idea
JETFAILURE: no idea
CONSUMEFRAC: modifier for the amount of raw material used up by the fractionizer in one production cycle, not quite sure how it works.
PRODUCEFRAC: lower and upper limits for the amount of jet fuel produced in one production cycle.
BREAKCOIL: no idea
FURNACEMELT: no idea. I'd have guessed it's a temperature, but a furnace melting at 150 degrees makes no sense.
CANOLA: lower and upper limit for the amount of lubricant produced by grinding one unit of canola seeds.
RAILGUNCRAFT: number of ??? you get from one crafting recipe. No idea what ??? is. I haven't used railguns before, is it railgun ammo?
LUBEUSAGE: multiplier for the amount of lubricant used by blocks that require lubricant.
JETINGESTFAIL: no idea. I'd have guessed it's some failure chance for the gas turbine, but the numbers are too high for that.
FRACTIONTEAR: the probability that the fractionizer uses up its ghast tear, per production cycle.

You know, it would be nice to be able to set these parameters individually.

• PARTCRAFT: Base panels, gears, and so on. The "3x output" recipes. Example.
  • COMPACTOR: Number of items output per cycle by the compactor. Normally 4->2, but on hard is 4->1. Code.
  • SMALLCRAFT: Like partcraft but slightly smaller numbers. Example.
  • BONUSSTEEL: Bonus steel chance multiplier. Code.
  • JETFAILURE: The chance per tick that a damaged yet running jet engine will go into failure mode. Code. (Jet Ingest can be seen here)
  • BREAKCOIL: The chance per tick of breaking a steel windspring while charging. Apparently unused, not sure if bug, implemented anyways.
  • FURNACEMELT: The chance per tick of melting a furnace with the friction heater. Code.
  • RAILGUNCRAFT: Railgun ammunition recipes. Code.
Also, everything with chances that are large numbers are reciprocals; the larger the number, the higher the divisor and this lower per-tick chance. MeteorCraft's rarity config works the same way.

Also, look to the constructors: Anything with a double parameter ("0.2D") is a multiplier; anything with a float (eg "0.5F") is a chance, anything with an array is a range, and anything with an integer argument is a "pick this value" (some of which are then used as chances with 'rand.nextInt(arg) == 0').

Last edited:

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Also, @Pyure:

iAWsAzj.png