RE: extrabiomes vs vanilla seeds

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DWLooney

Jul 29, 2019
Hello world, just wanted to point out a few things about seeds and extrabiomes XL
Using an external viewer designed for vanilla worlds that only scans the seed and estimates where the terrain would go, called amidst, I have discovered that basic terrain generation does not particularly differ between vanilla and EB XL.
This is great, because maybe there would be some hope for porting gargamel and the like for our FtB world!;)

To prove it, I have made some screenshots of my survival world compared to amidst.

AMIDST:

rlHUdfF.png

IN-GAME:

iEYJg1y.jpg

(excuse the chunk errors on this one :p)

AMIDST:

2BJ7wNB.png

IN-GAME:

p02gOz9.jpg

I have also used this to find the locations of vanilla villages and strongholds to ~25-30 blocks accuracy!

Conclusion: the mod Extrabiomes XL only modifies tree generation, materials used, etc., and still maintains the basic vanilla land formation for vanilla seeds. IF somebody could dive into the source code and check it out to prove me right/wrong, would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
A while back I surveyed a good 8k by 8k area around my SSP spawn comparing it to AMIDST and discovered that when a vanilla biome spawned it always matched up exactly to AMIDST's data. That includes Witches, Villages, and Temples.

Even when in a EBXL biome spawned, villages were still accurate (every village AMIDST predicted was present), however I also found quite a few villages that AMIDST didn't predict. Either that's an issue with AMIDST or EBXL perhaps adds additional ones.

Temples and Witches both only spawned if the appropriate vanilla biome was present. For example Witches only spawned in swamps and jungle temples only spawned in jungles - not the similar EBXL biomes like marshes or mini jungles.

I did not find any temples or witches in places other than AMIDST predicted.

I couldn't find any particular pattern for Thaumcraft Barrows, but admittedly I wan't particularly looking for them at the time.

My strongholds were all off by over 100 blocks. It was a big enough error that I went and tested in a fresh world and got a much more reasonable 20-25 block inaccuracy, so I think the 100 block inaccuracy was probably a standard problem with AMIDST sometimes being off in its predictions.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
yeah, i have a seed that with ebxl it spawns a meadows surrounded on one side by jungle mountains and the other side by ocean. In vanilla is a plains biome surrounded by a swamp on one side and an ocean in the other.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Even when in a EBXL biome spawned, villages were still accurate (every village AMIDST predicted was present), however I also found quite a few villages that AMIDST didn't predict. Either that's an issue with AMIDST or EBXL perhaps adds additional ones.

In vanilla Minecraft, villages can spawn only in plains and deserts. EBXL adds config options to spawn villages in all vanilla biomes and all EBXL biomes, and by default, all of them are set to true. That means you're getting villages in places where the vanilla map generator would have detected an invalid biome and skipped them.

DWLooney

Jul 29, 2019
That's why this viewer is so awesome, may not be mcedit, but at least will help in finding villages! ;)

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I'm glad it works, time to find that witch and kill her repeatedly while holding a soul shard in my left hand burn her.