RAM allocation

dedbbs

Jul 29, 2019
As much as you can spare. If you're running it on a linux box with no gui and nothing else major running, you could probably give it 7GB. If you're running it with Windows XP and only doing ordinary computing tasks, you'd probably get away great with 6.5GB. If you're running Vista/7 and going to be gaming while the server is running, maybe 4GB.

Strubinator

Jul 29, 2019
Imma go and piggy back this thread, its a similar question.
If the OS is caching a certain amount of ram, and you allocate more than that, will it use the OS cache? I have 64gb ram, 20gb allocated by minecraft servers and whatnot, and the rest is OS cache. The cache has slowly been increasing day by day, and I dont know if that will be a problem. It doesnt appear to be counted in the ram usage, but I was told that the yellow bar was OS cache. Im a computer science student, but havent covered OS's yet.
htop.PNG

dedbbs

Jul 29, 2019
Imma go and piggy back this thread, its a similar question.
If the OS is caching a certain amount of ram, and you allocate more than that, will it use the OS cache? I have 64gb ram, 20gb allocated by minecraft servers and whatnot, and the rest is OS cache. The cache has slowly been increasing day by day, and I dont know if that will be a problem. It doesnt appear to be counted in the ram usage, but I was told that the yellow bar was OS cache. Im a computer science student, but havent covered OS's yet.View attachment 2818

If you reboot, does your OS cache go back to its previous usage? Are you going for record uptime? xD From the way you describe it, it sounds like a slow memory leak that would be fixed by a reboot - thought with that much memory, it's not a pressing matter either if it's that slow. Maybe the memory manager adapts to the system and as it gets more and more data about your usage patterns, it allows itself to have more and more ram. Honestly, I've never heard the phrase "OS Cache" used before and I wouldn't consider myself a novice with computers. IF you say OS cache, honestly I think all RAM. That's where the OS puts things it's using or preparing to use = cache. And since everything is passed through the operating system, who else would get allocated the RAM? So is it actually taking more ram and using it, or is it just allocating it for itself for a rainy day?

Strubinator

Jul 29, 2019
We never reboot unless absolutely necessary, its a web server as well. We have been up for months before.
I know that the OS caches things to access faster, but I dont know if its just indexing already allocated memory, or allocating data to access faster. Its weird since its a different color, so it might be able to un-cache as needed. Linux is fairly lightweight, an OS doesnt need 40gb of ram XD. Might just be a memory leak, or it just doesnt un-index anything, or anything previously allocated is un-indexed and the OS just doesnt bother to clear those locations in ram.

As far as the OP, 4gb is usually enough, even for large servers. If you are using mystcraft and chunk loaders keep an eye out for your ram use though.

doovie7

Jul 29, 2019
As much as you can spare. If you're running it on a linux box with no gui and nothing else major running, you could probably give it 7GB. If you're running it with Windows XP and only doing ordinary computing tasks, you'd probably get away great with 6.5GB. If you're running Vista/7 and going to be gaming while the server is running, maybe 4GB.
I am running windows 8, and I want to play it at the same time.