Raising/lowering bookcase(vanilla:redstone)

SReject

Jul 29, 2019
OK, so I'm working on a build and an idea I have is a little beyond me. What I would like to do is raise/lower 3 layers of book cases when either of two pressure plates is stepped on. The dirt in the picture represents where i'd like to place the shelves. The sandstone will be my enchanting table. When lowered, I'd like the shelves flush with the floor. I understand sticky pistons can pull only one block with them; this adds to the challenge and is why I'm here asking

A few notes:
1: Once finished none of the redstone can be visible
2: If need be you can go as deep as bed rock(The floor is at level 82)
3: nothing can be placed in what will be the ceiling of the room

The current layout:
need help.png

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Question why 3? You only need 2. Though I can understand for looks.

The only way I can see either working is through multiple nested piston extenders which 2 will be hard to do from below only and 3 well I can't even think of a way to make a compact triple piston extender.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
3 for looks, I was able to do two, but couldn't figure out how to get the 3rd.

Yeah triple extenders are hard mode. This is the most compact Ive seen but would cause issues trying to get it to do a whole set of book shelves

Mutabulis

Jul 29, 2019
I would use frames..., so half of the bookshelves would be real, the other half would be frames with bookshelf covers on them so they look like bookshelves.

As long as 15 of the bookshelves are real, then the enchanting table will have max enchants, and it should rise and lower quite smoothly.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I would use frames..., so half of the bookshelves would be real, the other half would be frames with bookshelf covers on them so they look like bookshelves.

As long as 15 of the bookshelves are real, then the enchanting table will have max enchants, and it should rise and lower quite smoothly.
While I agree that this would be the easiest way to do it, he did specifically request a 'vanilla' setup.

Here's the thing... what you are trying to do? Very difficult. How about this... what effect are you trying to produce? Are you trying to make a library appear and disappear out of a room? That's more easily handled. You only need one circuit of bookshelves, so you can easily get that done with a double-piston extender.

I would suggest looking up 'piston elevators', since this probably can manage what you are wanting to do, or at least will have vanilla mechanics much closer to what you are trying to achieve, and might get some inspiration there.

Mutabulis

Jul 29, 2019
Oh.. I didn't catch that vanilla part.

Just incase he wants to swtich to redpower I made a quick mockup of what it would look like, before and after using covers.
2013-01-10_16.18.05.png2013-01-10_16.22.01.png