Railcraft Train sorting yard

fluttershy99

Jul 29, 2019
So on my most recent world, I returned to an old never-realized goal of a world where all my transport was done by rail. One of the ideas I had was for train disassembly at the terminus. I didnt find any examples of such a build when I looked, so I managed to make my own. It has a few bugs with detectors not working 100% of the time, and a few from signalling issues further down the line, but it works well otherwise.

(sorry about the audio, first time recording something on my computer...)

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I really like all the mechanics in railcraft, but I just wish everything could look more... aesthetically pleasing

fluttershy99

Jul 29, 2019
I'm planning a move to some place nicer than a Quagmire, so that setup will be neater... However, aesthetics have NEVER been a strong point for me.... hence the dull box-shaped buildings :p

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Nah, I love seeing the haphazardly-placed rials with mine carts going everywhere, it's half the fun :D

I'm the exact opposite... everything needs to look nice and tidy and organized, if it's now I'll go insane and just nuke the whole base

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
I really like all the mechanics in railcraft, but I just wish everything could look more... aesthetically pleasing
It actually works from an aesthetic point of view for me, have you seen a real railyard?

It looks like a random assortment of metal\wood\concrete and gravel, with tracks going every which way, random shabby looking buildings, functional exposed controls and usually rubbish of varying sorts all over the place :)

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
It actually works from an aesthetic point of view for me, have you seen a real railyard?

It looks like a random assortment of metal\wood\concrete and gravel, with tracks going every which way, random shabby looking buildings, functional exposed controls and usually rubbish of varying sorts all over the place :)

but, but it needs to be symmetrical :(

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I enjoy these sorts of builds. Sadly with all the ender this and that people rarely use rail for item/liquid transport. And with all the portal stuff never use it for personal transport anymore.

Reactions: the_j485

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
I enjoy these sorts of builds. Sadly with all the ender this and that people rarely use rail for item/liquid transport. And with all the portal stuff never use it for personal transport anymore.
Which is precisely why I personally have restricted myself to ONLY allow AE quantum links, and to always prefer not using it.
Iguana Tweak's encumberance system also encourages minecart use, or at the very least item transport lines as real infrastructure, assuming you disable all of the bags added by various mods...

Reactions: Saice

fergcraft

Jul 29, 2019
I too have forgotten how awesome train systems are so I shall be using more hopefully on the server I'm on worlds reset so should be fun.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I like using trains, if only it weren't so hard to get them up inclines. My current plan is to use an ender chest to dump into an item loader, then run a mine cart up from my ocean floor mine, to a processing system and then up to my base via train. Of course, since my base is located at the top of a Sacred Springs Biome, I've got a long way up to go. Fortunately it's mostly up.

Pity there aren't any automated boat systems.

fluttershy99

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone know of a way to condense this setup? It dispatches either 2 or 4 carts depending on the locomotive, but I didnt leave room for it in my new area, and would like it to be smaller anyways.
2013-11-20_19.09.09.png

fluttershy99

Jul 29, 2019
I have an idea, but I need a bit more info. Do you have MFR? What exactly are you doing with it?
I have MFR, and can install any other mods (1.5.2) required. The rear detector releases 2 carts when an anchor cart passes by it. The front detector (delayed sufficiently by repeaters) releases 2 more when a matching locomotive passes. This lets me have 2 cart trains for farms and such, and 4 carts for quarries.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Ah. Then what you want is the Programmable Rednet Controller. You can replace the redstone with rednet cable and use a rednet controller to set up a specific delay. It compresses it to two blocks wide and the length of the setup. You'll need two cart dispensers, otherwise you end up with them eating the carts. Just use one page of the controller for each signal you want to send.