Question for other server admins

Connor Gavitt

Jul 29, 2019
So i have a server, no suppress there pretty much everyone reading this probably does.

So I've been getting lag and I believe it could be world size. I think this because I use a overclocked i7 3930k @4.0ghz only have one fan so I didn't go higher. And dual raid 0 7200rpm drives that can move 218MB/s on average so IOPS shouldn't be the issue. And tickthreading installed which seems to take power of 2-3 of my 12 cores.

I do have over 650,000 region files each 2-19.5MB in size and 20000 ish chunks loaded at any time so should I consider a world reset to fix lag or is something else going on?

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
You can ask your players to cut down on their chunkloader usage. You can also use OPIS to find sources of lag and cut them off.

TheDJParadox

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, OPIS has helped me in the past with working out a solution to lag. However, I ran a relatively popular FTB (Unleashed) server for a good while and found that even though I was hitting 40 players, I had never found that the map size had reached to that sort of scale; so that could be the source of the problem. Something I do like to do with my servers, before opening them is set a world border, of decent size, then run a world pre-render. What this will do is generate all of the chunks out to the world border and sort of release some load on the server, while this is not a solution to your particular problem, it's just a little tip that I feel would be beneficial to throw in the mix. I think that the best idea would to be to run OPIS, as Wagon suggested and get back to us to see how it goes.

In case you're unaware of how to use OPIS, direwolf20 has a spotlight:

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
If those chuncks are loaded with chickenbones chuck loaders, an option could be to let them shutdown when ever the owner is offline.