Question about Turtles

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Did you get your turtle to teleport? Also, why not have the refuelling done locally instead of teleporting?

Furious1964

Nov 10, 2012
I had to put down new teleporter and it worked, but I fear that they're just as borked as the charging stations (which I solved their problem with a block breaker/deployer combo. Apparently, with the charge stations, they don't stop charging and end up going into a negative value.

And the refueling is done locally as it doesn't leave the machine. There has to be a 6.5 second gap between deactivating Phase 2 and shutting down the whole build process.

EDIT: Tested it and I'm right...it's borked. Logged off and shut the launcher down, restarted it and logged back on and the teleporters don't work.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Could you not just put a chest full of charcoal either under or on top of the turtle's starting point. In one of my current builds I have an ender chest which stays stocked with charcoal above the starting position in a cactus farm routine.

Similar to your program, my turtle also checks whether or not to refuel and proceeds accordingly. Here is a truncated version of my refuel function. I removed some of it because it is irrelevant (I was designing a refuel function that might be more versatile and left in some unfinished stuff that doesn't harm my program but just sits there. I haven't got round to clearing it up yet so I'm just removing it for now - I don't think it will be helpful for your program anyway.)

Code:
function refuel() -- Calculates what the minimum amount of fuel it needs to run its cycle and gets a bit more for good measure
local fuelNeed = math.ceil(((rows*rowLength) + 4*(rows-1) + 80)/80) -- [[This calculates how much fuel the cycle of my cactus farm will consume. You can safely ignore it or come up with your own formula]]
if turtle.getFuelLevel() <= 250 then -- [[250 is defined like that as a relic from when I was testing, it should be fuelneed*80 but, again you can ignore that]]
turtle.select(slot) --[[The missing part of this function was about selecting a vacant slot called slot. Change it to any number]]
turtle.suckUp()
turtle.refuel(fuelNeed) --[[ fuelneed represents about 3 charcoal in my program, I think yours is roughly in the same area so you could type turtle.refuel(3) or any number really (limited by stacksize)]]
turtle.dropUp() --gets rid of the fuel it didn't need
end
end

By the way the square brackets inside the comments are there just to make sure that everything within it is commented, should you wish to run that code exactly yourself (although you will have to adapt it anyway to suit your own variables.

Furious1964

Nov 10, 2012
I could do that and will keep that in mind. Your help is appreciated, but I did solve the Charge Station issue with the block breaker/deployer combo and it works. Still, I wish the teleporters would have worked as now I have to find a way to have the turtle deactivate the machine in 6.5 seconds. It takes 12.6 seconds for the turtle to make the full trip back to start.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I'm glad you are making progress. I just checked out the video where Direwolf20 used them way back in his season 5 lets play (here is a link to the video. Turtle stuff it is about half way through)

Furious1964

Nov 10, 2012
He's using an updated version of the mod which probable has all the bug fixes. Why do I get the feeling the modders are using FTB as there testing grounds to see what bugs and glitches their mods have.

If you notice the facing of the teleporter in his base, the turtle sits on a dark side, I tested it and the turtle wouldn't even teleport to it.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think modders release deliberately borked mods for their FTB Guinea pigs. Besides, I am sure you are beginning to appreciate how tricky it can be to make flawless code without very extensive testing.

Having said that, unless you absolutely need teleporters for your build I would recommend cutting them out. I'm starting to get confused as to what you are working on right now, if you still want any help could you post a new screenshot or two and your current code, preferebly with a few comments

Furious1964

Nov 10, 2012
j0x4.png
The turtle travels down the line of pistons, activating them for exactly 16 seconds. The first 2 wireless transmitters and receivers break/place the Charge Station respectively and the third is because I didn't want a line of wire running from end to end. At Start-up, the turtle is keeping the system shutdown. When it leaves its position, it activates.

qin.png
When the turtle reaches the end, it shuts down Phase 2 and starts a timer to shut the entire device down.

I got rid of the teleporters as they didn't work when I logged off and back on again. I watched Direwolf20's video, but he never logged off to see if it happens to him. Also, he may be running an updated version of the mod so the bugs may be fixed.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Are there any bugs left in your program?

What are the pistons for anyway?

Also, I haven't told you this before (or maybe I have and don't remember) but you can disable the requirement for turtles to need fuel in the computercraft config if you are still having issues with the refuelling stuff.

Furious1964

Nov 10, 2012
3odn.png

The final version of the start point. Had to make some revisions as what I wanted didn't fit the buildings size.

Are there any bugs left in your program?

What are the pistons for anyway?

Also, I haven't told you this before (or maybe I have and don't remember) but you can disable the requirement for turtles to need fuel in the computercraft config if you are still having issues with the refuelling stuff.

No bugs, solved the problem with the Charge Station by using a block breaker and a deployer. Would have liked to use the teleporters, but they don't work when I log off then back on again.

I'm aware of the "No Fuel Required" cheat, but I want this as legit as possible...considering that I'm using mods.

As for what all the pistons are for...I'm building this in FTB Ultimate (1.4.7):

Yes I know I can build it much more easily in 1.5.2 and beyond, but where's the fun in that. I'm trying to update all the mods for the Ultimate Pack and the only one that's not updated is RedPower. Until the time I finally update to 1.5.2, or even 1.6.2, I'll stay with the current version of the Ultimate Pack.

Furious1964

Nov 10, 2012
That was the only obstacle and I got all the timings down to the second...I think. It's finished and I have to just do a test run (with no villagers) before I see if it actually works.

Furious1964

Nov 10, 2012
OK, ran into a problem: on my server I want to fuel a turtle with coalfuel. It says I need coalfuel cans but NEI only has coalfuel cells. How do I make them? Are they even un the Ultimate Pack?

Furious1964

Nov 10, 2012
It does work, you have to use the Auto Canning Machine to make that can. And the turtle can use it as fuel.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Is that the cans, what mod is it from? Is it Gregtech because the coalfuel cells weren't working for me and I only have IC2.

bigtwisty

Jul 29, 2019
If all you are doing is turning on and off pistons in place, turtles would not be the ideal solution. Have you considered using a standard computer and running bundled cable down the piston row, with a different color powering each piston?

Furious1964

Nov 10, 2012
Haven't thought of that, but I don't know how to program it. Struggled with the programming of the turtles and it works, but need to make a few more adjustments.