Question about ore's

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

PontiacGTP99

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys I'm actually brand new to the minecraft game, been watching tons of youtube videos of Nebris and other's playing this game, and I couldn't resist to buy it.
Anyways guys I have a question about my game. I play and load up my game under the "Direwolf20 Pack (v4) Minecraft Version 1.4.6 By The FTB Team"

When I play with my friend on his "Feed the beast" he makes a server for us to both play on. It would appear to me that we both play on the same version but when I mine Sapphire/ Green Sapphire/ Ruby ore's they immediately turn to an actual gem that you can turn into a sword or pic or whatever. Any idea why when I play on my own and I mine a ruby ore and it turns into a block that says "ore" vs just turning into an actually gem? Thanks guys. Hopefully this isn't to confusing. Or hopefully someone can help me! Thanks guys

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
The ore turning into a gem is the normal, expected behavior. The ore should only be possible to get directly by using special tools, like the enchant that Freakscar mentions.

PontiacGTP99

Jul 29, 2019
that was it guys, it did have silk touch on it. Thank you guys for the responses. Definitely a noob question but it was upsetting me :)

zooqooo

Jul 29, 2019
What did you end up doing with the gem ore? can you macerate/pulverize it for double gems?

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
you can macerate gem ores to get double as gem dust if you have gregtech, you can also grind them for this purpose too. if you macerate/pulverize a gem (or pulverize gem ore I think) you will just set a single dust per gem