Question about mekanism power

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Tael

Jul 29, 2019
So I'm looking to make a self sustained power system with mekanism if I can. Currently I'm experimenting with Hydrogen, but that seems to use the exact amount it creates. And even powering the separators with wind or solar energy is a waste because, if I'm using the same amount I'm producing, I may as well hook the wind and solar up to the energy cube instead. So it seems that the gas-burning generator is just available for use to take up space with no real benefit.

I'm purposely avoiding solar panels and windmills right now, I always use them and would like to try something different so if any has any suggestions I'm all ears. Right now I'm using 4 Heat generators covered with lava but that's a bit slow and not enough power for me.

Last edited:

InThayne

Oct 14, 2013
I think hydrogen is now meant to be used more as a portable temporary power source.
Take a look at the early bio-generator or using biofuel to make ethylene.

Reactions: Softwerker

Softwerker

Jan 24, 2017
Hydrogen is not self-Sustaining AFAIK. Bio-Fuel is an easy way for early self-sustainable power.

I like Hydrogen however to support the spikes of energy usage in the ore processing line. Since I need the Oxygen anyway, It would be a shame to let the Hydrogen go to waste. Plus, you need it for the Jetpack.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Ethylene is a sustainable power source. Takes bio-fuel and hydrogen to make, produces good returns on investment. If you don't like that many sub-combines, just bio-fuel. Crunch up potatoes, power your base on it.

Or, yanno, just spam heat generators surrounded by lava or windmills. That works too.

E

Evice_

Since a few updates ago the hydrogen power generation system has been nerfed. Your best bet is to farm some crops, or setup a zombie farm, and turn em into biomass, and use it to create Ethylene and burn it in a gas burning generator. It's a slow burn meaning that it will last for awhile, getting you a pretty good deal on power if you're early game. Those generators can be upgraded to produce faster I believe, but you're always better off making multiple if you can afford it. Great reliable little source of power. Usually will last you mid to mid-late game before you'll want something easier and more powerful.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame