question about forestry multifarms

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

hotblack desiato

Jul 29, 2019
modpack: tech world 2 (1.0.5) + natura + TF

first multifarm, a 4x4x4 structure for trees, works perfectly fine.

second multifarm, indoor, a 5x5x4 structure configured with:
North: Peat
South: Wheat
West: Wheat
East: Carrots

North works just fine and changes bog earth into peat.

South works partially fine, a 6x4 field is plantet with wheat, the stripe on the west is not plantet (but it's farmland

West doesn't work, it is farmland, but no wheat plantet, even with enough seeds available

East: No farmland, no carrots, nothing. it's just plain empty.

it seems to be correctly configured, as the different crop-symbols are correctly set, and it got enough stuff to work with.

the forestry electrical engine was complaining that it overheats, but after breaking and resetting the gearbox, it works fine.

any idea how to repair that?

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
modpack: tech world 2 (1.0.5) + natura + TF

first multifarm, a 4x4x4 structure for trees, works perfectly fine.

second multifarm, indoor, a 5x5x4 structure configured with:
North: Peat
South: Wheat
West: Wheat
East: Carrots

North works just fine and changes bog earth into peat.

South works partially fine, a 6x4 field is plantet with wheat, the stripe on the west is not plantet (but it's farmland

West doesn't work, it is farmland, but no wheat plantet, even with enough seeds available

East: No farmland, no carrots, nothing. it's just plain empty.

it seems to be correctly configured, as the different crop-symbols are correctly set, and it got enough stuff to work with.

the forestry electrical engine was complaining that it overheats, but after breaking and resetting the gearbox, it works fine.

any idea how to repair that?
According to your description, it seems like it's correct. However I don't have much experience with multifarms, I use MFR instead.
Also, is that a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference in your username? I love those books.

hotblack desiato

Jul 29, 2019
2014-02-17_17.33.26.png

the farm with bog, wheat and the abscent carrots
2014-02-17_17.33.38.png

the configuration menu, I think it's alright (but maybe someone else knows better)
2014-02-17_17.34.06.png

the farm from below with the powersupply, AE-connection and the water in the background.

the farm is automated, not manual. it placed bog and everything else according to the plan and then it stopped.

and yes, hotblack desiato is the lead drummer of the plutonium rockband, who spent a year dead in milliways ;-)

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the pics and the details. Unfortunately, I don't have any advice to offer other than "try manual". I've done similar configurations before, but only with Manual farms.

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
Somewhere over the rainbow.
My guess if you don't provide enough power to the farm and since Sengir hate his electrical engine, try to use another power source that is more suited, a Dynamo with some conduits to the farm should work fine, if not enough power is provided, I think the farm will just work with what it can. Just for test, try to break a block of the multifarm, save and quit, relog and replace the block, you may also try to fill up the empty space with dirt to see what will happen...

Pericus

Jul 29, 2019
if it stopped after you placed the bog etc. what did it do before?

*Edit*

some configurations require sunlight. bog is not one of them the others I'm not sure.

hotblack desiato

Jul 29, 2019
I changed the setup to 4x wheat and basically rebuilt the farm (removing most of the blocks and setting them again (I also removed the innermost block, which stores the stuff (the farms apparently work like the railcraft tanks, one block in the center stores everything) and removed the bog earth.

some farmland blocks were set by the machine, but nothing fancy. and the eastern part is still completely free.

my only idea so far: the multifarm doesn't like to stack (because the treefarm is above the eastern part of the farm). but I don't want to set it up again, with all the work. maybe I just remove everything and set up a MFR farm. and this buggy farm becomes a second treefarm (because I know that they work).

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I changed the setup to 4x wheat and basically rebuilt the farm (removing most of the blocks and setting them again (I also removed the innermost block, which stores the stuff (the farms apparently work like the railcraft tanks, one block in the center stores everything) and removed the bog earth.

some farmland blocks were set by the machine, but nothing fancy. and the eastern part is still completely free.

my only idea so far: the multifarm doesn't like to stack (because the treefarm is above the eastern part of the farm). but I don't want to set it up again, with all the work. maybe I just remove everything and set up a MFR farm. and this buggy farm becomes a second treefarm (because I know that they work).
Are you absolutely certain that you didn't set the soldering iron on manual farm when making the circuit board? It seems odd that some parts work fine but others dont.

Last edited:

hotblack desiato

Jul 29, 2019
I'm certain.

the current situation: I've let the farm running, and watched olympic games. and when I came back in the break, all 4 sides were made of farmland. it's just not enough seeds to run the whole farm.

I changed power supply to a combustion engine with fuel. no idea if that idea is good...

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
No, why fuel power, use dynamos from Thermal Expansion, you're wasting precious fuel on inneficiant engines that can explode and will explode eventually no matter what you do to them, I saw Direwolf trying to avoid this too many times, with multiple safety system but they end up exploding anyway no matter what...

Reactions: PierceSG

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
No, why fuel power, use dynamos from Thermal Expansion, you're wasting precious fuel on inneficiant engines that can explode and will explode eventually no matter what you do to them, I saw Direwolf trying to avoid this too many times, with multiple safety system but they end up exploding anyway no matter what...
You can easily set up combustion engines to run perfectly safe, but it requires some BC gates and proper water supply. But yes would have to agree that it would be a bad idea to use them in this situation.

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
You can easily set up combustion engines to run perfectly safe, but it requires some BC gates and proper water supply. But yes would have to agree that it would be a bad idea to use them in this situation.

Direwolf20 used gates and other stuff to prevent explosion of them but they still exploded and blew up a part of his stuff each time I saw him use combustion engines...

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Direwolf20 used gates and other stuff to prevent explosion of them but they still exploded and blew up a part of his stuff each time I saw him use combustion engines...
I agree. The only thing that stops my combustion engines from exploding was me checking on them periodically. Even my aqueous accumulator hooked up to a OpenBlocks Tank couldn't keep up with the draw rate.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Just because DW20 cant figure out how to do it right, doesn't mean it cant be done, now does it?

DW20 is amazing at explaining stuff so everyone can understand it. But he does not always do things the smartest ways(which he often states as well in his videos).

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I reckon that the farm will work a lot better if you have at least a wooden kinesis pipe in between the engine and the farm to spread out the mj transfer (engines deliver power in bursts and the farm might not like that and wouldn't be able to use all the power anyway).

Fuel efficiency wise, setting up a gate with the power requesting conditional on would be good (or have two gates and pipe wire to detect the has work conditional on the farm itself). Also, why not just have peat fired engines so that your farm is self sufficient. I have a farm that is similar to yours in size and one broadside peat plot is enough to power the whole farm with a healthy surplus of peat.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I reckon that the farm will work a lot better if you have at least a wooden kinesis pipe in between the engine and the farm to spread out the mj transfer (engines deliver power in bursts and the farm might not like that and wouldn't be able to use all the power anyway).

Fuel efficiency wise, setting up a gate with the power requesting conditional on would be good (or have two gates and pipe wire to detect the has work conditional on the farm itself). Also, why not just have peat fired engines so that your farm is self sufficient. I have a farm that is similar to yours in size and one broadside peat plot is enough to power the whole farm with a healthy surplus of peat.

The Peat-Fired engine rocks for what it's designed for. No, it can't stand toe-to-toe with an 80 RF/t Dynamo or an 8 MJ/t ISE, but it's excellent at what it does : convert peat to power *and* produce ash as a byproduct. Ash is 2x as efficient as sand for converting Apatite to Fertilizer. The peat lasts a pretty long time, too. Just pipe all peat from the farm to a Factorization barrel or Diamond Chest with a hopper to feed into the Peat-fired engine and have a hopper to extra the ash, and you can let it run like that for RL days before you have to check on it.

@Sengir from the early day of Forestry, it seems, designed a complex and nearly fully self-sustaining system of interlocking parts.

Dirt + Fertilizer + Low Power ==> Peat
Peat ==> Dirt, Ash, Low Power
Ash + Apatite ==> Fertilizer

The Ethanol (Biofuel) power production chain is pretty cool, too, once you factor in bred trees for higher-quantity biomass and fruit juice.

And, last but not certainly least are bees and trees, with pre-butterfly Forestry requiring bees to breed trees. If you can't tell, I'm a big fan of Forestry and the mods that tied tightly with Forestry. It's a great blend of nature and technology (and magic when you have @MysteriousAges ' MagicBees).

I also dig @power crystals 's MFR Laser requirements chain. The pink slime is a nice touch of humor ;-)

Reactions: Padfoote

hotblack desiato

Jul 29, 2019

sorry, this might seem like a stupid question, but I thought with the new thermal expansion version, redflux and MJ are two different energy systems, and not compatible anymore (and that sucks because I like how the redstone cells work).

if not, then I can throw out the whole MJ-system, because I've a big fat reactor running on yellorite sitting around, powered at 20% to run my AE-system and some TE-machines.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
sorry, this might seem like a stupid question, but I thought with the new thermal expansion version, redflux and MJ are two different energy systems, and not compatible anymore (and that sucks because I like how the redstone cells work).

if not, then I can throw out the whole MJ-system, because I've a big fat reactor running on yellorite sitting around, powered at 20% to run my AE-system and some TE-machines.

10 RF = 1 MJ, and the conversion can happen through conduits outputting to machines that accept MJ. However, MJ cannot be converted into RF. So if you desire, you can ignore MJ production and focus solely on RF for your power needs.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013

Yes it is now 2 seperate power systems, but the Thermal expansions Conduits will automatically convert RF->MJ when you connect them to a MJ using machine(like the Farms). So you can at any time simply by running the Conduits to the machines convert RF to MJ. But there is no easy way to do it the other way around.