Qaz's first desktop build.

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
The shine 3 is pretty neat, I wish my shine 2 would break so I'd have a reason to buy it.

For switches, blues if you do a lot of forum posting (except they click), browns if you do a bit less posting and a bit more gaming, reds if you game more than anything. there are the oddball ones like clear, green, and such, but they just have different tension and activation points, some click and others do not. Those 3 you named are pretty much the most widely used.

I wouldn't get one of these unless gaming is srs bsnss, but some companies make switch samplers. I prefer red. They have low activation pressure, no click, no bump, and are linear weighted.
guess i will go with browns then ;P thanks.

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
hokay, quick question. i went in to buy a HDD for mass storage, was planning to get a 1TB drive, all the store has is a 2TB WD Green(7200RPM) it is about 105$ should i get it or wait for a 1TB performance oriented drive, such as a Blue or a Black.(or maybe a Seagate SSHD)

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
I'd recommend an ssd from personal experience (burned out 2 harddrives in 5 years) and I haven't had any problems with my ssd since I got it around a year ago

----------------------------------------------------
Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
I'd recommend an ssd from personal experience (burned out 2 harddrives in 5 years) and I haven't had any problems with my ssd since I got it around a year ago

----------------------------------------------------
Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2
Mass storage...... i already have a SSD.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
hokay, quick question. i went in to buy a HDD for mass storage, was planning to get a 1TB drive, all the store has is a 2TB WD Green(7200RPM) it is about 105$ should i get it or wait for a 1TB performance oriented drive, such as a Blue or a Black.(or maybe a Seagate SSHD)
For mass storage, depends how precious the things you're storing imo.

I've got a couple mirrored raid arrays for my music, pictures, and important documents. That way if a drive fails I don't lose everything. Rpm's and performance are less important for this type of mass storage. If you're storing high value things, it were me, I'd go with a couple decent performing, but high quality drives and Raid1 them.

If you're looking for storage for commonly used files/media/games/etc, you'd need something faster than Raid1. I do not recommend Raid5 for large capacity (1tb+) drives. Hybrid drives are kinda cool, I've been toying with the idea of getting my hands on one. If this is the type of mass storage you're talking about, I think this would probably be the way to go.

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
For mass storage, depends how precious the things you're storing imo.

I've got a couple mirrored raid arrays for my music, pictures, and important documents. That way if a drive fails I don't lose everything. Rpm's and performance are less important for this type of mass storage. If you're storing high value things, it were me, I'd go with a couple decent performing, but high quality drives and Raid1 them.

If you're looking for storage for commonly used files/media/games/etc, you'd need something faster than Raid1. I do not recommend Raid5 for large capacity (1tb+) drives. Hybrid drives are kinda cool, I've been toying with the idea of getting my hands on one. If this is the type of mass storage you're talking about, I think this would probably be the way to go.
i needed somewhere to put my steam games when i am not using them.(ie put all the games there unless i am playing them a lot) also pictures and movies and stuff. i decided to get the Green. it can't hurt to have somewhere to put stuff, and if it is too slow, i can just save up a bit for a 1TB faster HDD.

Elec332

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, do you NEED a liquid cooler? I bet you could get pretty decent temps with an aftermarket air cooler, like the CM212 EVO, and it runs you about 30 bucks. The 90 dollar trade off might be worth those few degrees of heat :)
Second, check out Crucial for SSG drives. They are high quality, and I can buy a 256GB for less than you're paying for the Samsung SSD, so you might want to switch those! GPU looks good, I am putting a 970 in mine too.

One big thing I notice is your MOBO, I am buying the same chipset and type for about 70 bucks less, and it is still compatible with your RAM speed and CPU. Might check this one out: https://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z97g45gaming
I'm saving some extra money with my RAM choice, same speed as y ours but only 75 bucks instead of 188! I would definitely check G-Skill out: https://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f314900cl9d8gbxl

Hope this helps you save some cash, if you want to see my whole build list here's the link: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/capSAR273/saved/7DhYcf
The PC is already built IIRC
(Last post is ~2months old)