Qaz's first desktop build.

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
hey, so, uh, i decided to build a desktop :p at first, i had a convo for it.(huge thanks to @Elec332 btw, he did most of the work(you're awesome :D)) i decided to see what the "public" thought.
so, notes on the build.

1.going to be running win8,(already have a product key ;))
2.case is bought.
3.i have some spare monitors, keyboards, and mice i will be using.
4.not going to be overclocking initially, maybe later in this machine's lifecycle ;)
5.chose the 840 EVO because i am using one in my laptop, works great!
6.chose the strix, because, well, a.power efficiency b.i was going to cet a 970, so i had to choose something :p
7.i will be buying a hard drive for mass storage, but not just yet, this will drain my cash enough :p
8.will be buying a wifi card. i forget the model, sorry.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Qazplm601/saved/3QdMnQ

so, my questions.
1.any recommendations for hardware changes(and why)
2.other thoughts and/or suggestions?
3.i may go with the H90 cooler instead. thoughts?

ps, i do enjoy money, so if you have money saving alternatives, i shall listen ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: pc_assassin

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019
I'm running an i5-4670k at stock speed (3.4GHz) and that thing chews up and spits out everything I throw at it. And you're getting an i7-4790k, geez...
If you want faster RAM though, I'm running the Geil Evo Potenza 2400MHz stuff and it's great stuff for the price. I think I got 2x4GB sticks for $100, but I'm in Australia where prices are through the roof.
Although on the subject of the case, I've purchased an Antec Three Hundred U3 that I'm going to rebuild my computer with in a few weeks.
Haven't tried it yet because it's sitting in a box next to me right now, but it's solid and looks good.

Last edited:

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
I'm running an i5-4670k at stock speed (3.4GHz) and that thing chews up and spits out everything I throw at it. And you're getting an i7-4790k, geez...
If you want faster RAM though, I'm running the Geil Evo Potenza 2400MHz stuff and it's great stuff for the price. I think I got 2x8GB sticks for $100, but I'm in Australia where prices are through the roof.
Although on the subject of the case, I've purchased an Antec Three Hundred U3 that I'm going to rebuild my computer with in a few weeks.
Haven't tried it yet because it's sitting in a box next to me right now, but it's solid and looks good.
1.(cpu) i like me some devils canyon :p

2.(ram) trying not too spend a huge amount, im stretching my wallet already :p

Reactions: Chaka

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019
1.(cpu) i like me some devils canyon :p

2.(ram) trying not too spend a huge amount, im stretching my wallet already :p

Tell me about it! I spent the best part of AU$2000 on my system with a university budget, but it's justified when I need a reliable machine to compute the mostly-unknown secrets of the universe such as assignments.

Reactions: Edibled

Elec332

Jul 29, 2019
If you want faster RAM though, I'm running the Geil Evo Potenza 2400MHz stuff and it's great stuff for the price. I think I got 2x4GB sticks for $100, but I'm in Australia where prices are through the roof.
The problem is, all RAM above 1866MHz need an higher voltage than the CPU will allow it to use
-The maximum voltage of the RAM is allowed to be: 1.5V+5% (1.575V)
-The voltage of anything above 1866MHz is higher than 1,575V (1,65V)

Thats why I recommended 1866MHz RAM

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
Last edited:

Iamqaz

Jul 29, 2019
bump because i realized doubleposts don't send alerts :p(thought i should notify the helping people)

Chaka

FTB Team
Mod Developer
Retired Staff
Dec 24, 2013
New Jersey
Get rid of win 8 at all costs. I am a former windows 8 user and gamer. I would tell you why but im on a phone. Get win 7

Sent from some stupid phone using tappatalk kappa

Chaka

FTB Team
Mod Developer
Retired Staff
Dec 24, 2013
New Jersey
i am a win8 user as well. i have had no problems with gaming on it. i would like to hear what is bad about it.(other than metro :p)
Ill tell you soon im not going to type my win8 story on a phone

Sent from some stupid phone using tappatalk kappa

AdmiralKirov

Jul 29, 2019
You could spare about 400-500$ by choosing an AMD CPU (FX8320 or better) and MB and invest them in a monstrous GPGPU (Nvidia Titan or ATI R9 why not).
Don' t get me wring, that I7 is a beast, but with an FX CPU costing less than a half your sistem will be a little less powerful when running single threaded programs (Yes, I know MC is one of those, but there' s not such a big performance gap), but with 8 cores at 4.2GHz you would hardly tell the difference in multithreaded performances.

Elec332

Jul 29, 2019
You could spare about 400-500$ by choosing an AMD CPU (FX8320 or better) and MB and invest them in a monstrous GPGPU (Nvidia Titan or ATI R9 why not).
Don' t get me wring, that I7 is a beast, but with an FX CPU costing less than a half your sistem will be a little less powerful when running single threaded programs (Yes, I know MC is one of those, but there' s not such a big performance gap), but with 8 cores at 4.2GHz you would hardly tell the difference in multithreaded performances.
AMD has very low cache, also,
he insisted on Intel
(And I agree)

AdmiralKirov

Jul 29, 2019
AMD has very low cache, also,
he insisted on Intel
(And I agree)
Sorry I missed that.
Regarding the cache size, the FX8350 has about twice as this particular I7 basing on what I was able to find on the various CPU benchmark and info sites