PS4 vs. Xbox One

PS4 vs. Xbox One

• Total voters

DarkWasp

Jul 29, 2019
Well being mainly a PC Gamer, I was excited to see what these two new consoles could bring for the new increase in standard of technology. (Seeing as how the consoles are a larger market, graphics and tech kind of plateaus at their level. We all already know this.)

I initially got excited when the PS4 was announced because it looks like they are using dedicated technology for things like physics and particles. I've been saying for the longest time that it would be great to see the game rendering workload split up between more components. Now it should be built into current tech though (like an additional CPU core dedicated to UI and overlays, or a dedicated physics chip on a GPU). Either way, I'd really love to see PhysX burn or somehow provided in a reasonable way to AMD users. I don't care if you don't like AMD, monopolizing is bad for NVIDIA users as well.

Then when XB1 was revealed (seriously why take a page from Nintendo on naming consoles?) my dreams were crushed, mostly. I didn't see anything about advancing technology like at all. I mean aside from making life so much easier for those annoying kids at LAN(system link) parties who like to switch on the TV for 15 minutes during a 5 second loading screen. That said, the ability to record a replay of any game you're playing is great. EA removed that feature from a ton of sequels in the early 2000s and I never forgave them for it.

So tech possibilities here:

PS4: If this catches on we could be seeing some major increases in graphics and physics.
Not nearly as much as some of us would like, I know that. There I saved you the effort of typing that out.

XB1: We could possibly seeing improvements in UI and overlays. Imagine that, something like the steam overlay without as many stability issues. I don't think having separate OSs is enough though. I think we need a separate physical core. That way no game would ever have to be unloaded, back loaded, deprioritized or minimized in order to browse a wiki or take a screenshot.

Looks like PS4 also offers the same possibility of improved UI as XB1 does though. So PS4 wins.

Also Sony showed games. Microsoft showed sports. :/

xSINZx

Jul 29, 2019
Not that Im going to rush out and buy one. But I would have to say PS4.
Reason One: I'm a Sony Fan.
Reason Two: Never played Halo and Don't Care to.
Reason Three: Sony Picked BluRay while MS wanted... what was it called.
Reason Four: It's Not MicroSoft!!!!!!!!!!!!! (They have enough of the market, without doing consoles)
Reason Five: PS4 will sit nicely next to my PS3 and PS2
Reason Six: Sony Controllers and Consoles.. Just Look and Feel Better.:) (Ducks for cover)

Long Live the PlayStation.

TheDoctor

Jul 29, 2019
Reason Four: It's Not MicroSoft!!!!!!!!!!!!! (They have enough of the market, without doing consoles)
Reason Six: Sony Controllers and Consoles.. Just Look and Feel Better.:) (Ducks for cover)

Those may be reasons but they were pretty bad. Really I don't care for each console.

I love to see which console will bring more to the table and the bigger and better console with obviously get the bigger slice. Whoever doesn't will still have those hardcore followers for either 1 like xSINZx. I think gaming consoles are just consoles like a Tv is just a Tv sure there will be better ones but this change peoples minds maybe maybe not. I hope they bring more to the table then they announced because really they didn't bring much either of them for the gaming part and I really don't care about Tv shit. I mean its a gaming console. Graphics there will always be better graphics. I want to see more stuff.....

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019

1: Well I dislike both microsoft and sony so meh
2: You should really fix that. Like now. That said gran turismo is a really good game

3: Well I'm not going to get either but of course Sony are going to use BluRay they made it and get paid for every device that uses it, the exact reason I dislike sony, if you make a protocol (which is essentially what it is) it should be free for everyone to implement, imagine if HTML browers had to play to use HMTL...
4: Meh, I bet you are on a microsoft PC right now, good market share isnt really a reason to hate.
5: Sold that crap long ago XD
6: Personal opinion, for me I prefer Xbox controllers but I can play with both but thats more because I started out on an Xbox

Grunguk

Jul 29, 2019
Of the two, the PS4 is the clear winner. They're making it as a gaming console, not some weird hybrid "living room solution" thing with built in Kinect.

I usually do 1 console+PC to take advantage of each machine's strengths, but I'm really having a hard time justifying purchasing a console in this upcoming generation. I'm just not seeing any functionality that I care about and can't already get from a high-spec PC. I'm thinking it'd be the smarter option to drop the console entirely and just funnel the saving into improving my PCs gaming capabilities.

Sacred5010

Jul 29, 2019
Well, just for the fact that PC/Mac, beats both in a landslide. I am going to say Xbox One, because I do like the idea of a "household" console.

I will be buying the Xbox One.

Sorry PlayStation lovers.[DOUBLEPOST=1370823287][/DOUBLEPOST]

Yes, you better duck for cover.

Xbox controllers are the better one.
Just an opinion though.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Now, I'm not here to post an opinion or anything of the sort, but I think here's where a lot of the Xbox One's criticism's coming from.

tumblr_mo096e2olj1su01nco1_500.jpg

Sacred5010

Jul 29, 2019
Now, I'm not here to post an opinion or anything of the sort, but I think here's where a lot of the Xbox One's criticism's coming from.

tumblr_mo096e2olj1su01nco1_500.jpg

I don't see anything wrong with all of that. Really I don't.

I can connect to the internet at any time.
I don't care about the Kinect sensor being on.

I don't care about trade in's.

But I will still be purchasing it.

xSINZx

Jul 29, 2019
What I don't like about the Xbox One is that you have to login online every 24 hours

Just heard about this. What the .... Sorry but thats just wrong Microsoft.
I was having a bit of fun with this post. But thats just going to far. You wont catch me buying one. In Fact if the PS4 goes down that track I wont be getting one of them either.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see anything wrong with all of that. Really I don't.

I can connect to the internet at any time.
I don't care about the Kinect sensor being on.

I don't care about trade in's.

But I will still be purchasing it.

Yea, I think the issue is not that they limit most gamers, but just that the restrictions in question are quite silly.

Sacred5010

Jul 29, 2019
Yea, I think the issue is not that they limit most gamers, but just that the restrictions in question are quite silly.

Well, for a PC gamer the Xbox One shouldn't let's say, "attract" gamers like the Xbox 360 or the Ps3.

But there are going to be games like COD: Ghosts on the Xbox One.

Folanlron

Jul 29, 2019
from a dev standpoint, the ps4 wins.

from what I have read they are both using the same CPU/GPU combo but it seems that sony has done more "custom" work to the chip's(Asynch processing, being able to "link" the cache of the CPU and GPU is gonna be a huge feature down the road), more raw power at bus side, faster RAM.

of course the big question is, what kind of support are studios gonna be given with them, the main problem with the PS3 was that the SDK was pretty much non-existent, with the 360 though, because MS used basically a modified version DX support was very simple for them.

Anyone else notice that the Xbone is about the size of the old Laser Disc players ? lol

Munaus

Jul 29, 2019
There is only ONE superior console in my eyes
mSbQRHD.jpg

Isn't it beautiful? It uses cartridges, CDs are overrated :p
It also has no memory, so no save and reload. Reload are for sissies :p
And all games were hardcore as hell. I had plenty of games with this, I only managed to finish Ducktales :3 Go Uncle Scrooge!!!

Reactions: ryanjh5521