Pre-load map?

wipiid

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a way that you can pre-load a servers map, for say -5k,-5k to 5k,5k?
i have been looking and have seen a few things that would work for bukkit, however i cant find anything for forge. can MCedit do something along these lines? or is there an easy way besides going creative and running a grid and taking a lifetime to run the map?

NooBxGockeL

Jul 29, 2019
why would you want to preload a map ?
If u want to limit players not going too far out, there are plugins for that.
WorldBorder for example. Recently seen one for forge...

wipiid

Jul 29, 2019
i dont want to limit the players travel, there are only 4-5 of us any way, and we typically travel to +/-10k,+/-10k just to explore.
we run into some serious lag, as it generates new chunks.
i want to pre generate all of those chunks so:
  1. when we render a map it doesnt look like a spider on caffine.
  2. it lessons the lag on the server while we stay inside that area, as it doesnt need to generate the chunks.
  3. i could use it to preview a seed for when we decide to reload the world.

wipiid

Jul 29, 2019
well so far so good
after installing i did a "/worldborder set square 10000" then "/worldborder fill ok"
will take about 24 hours its estimating. but so far so good. once this is done, ill be able to install dynmap!!! and have a nice looking map

updated the commands i used

Xakthos

Jul 29, 2019
Which forge essentials version? I'm trying with 0.1.1.231 and that exact command line for setting the world border isn't working. Keeps going 'That won't work.' and repeats the help parameter list for world border.

Xakthos

Jul 29, 2019
Its my own local server, I do have op on it. I'm attempting the command through the server gui.

TiGG

Jul 29, 2019
/worldborder set square 10000 10000
/worldborder fill ok 0

after the ok it is a zero. for world ID, it uses different syntax than worldborder plugin, i assume.

Edit: /worldborder turbo <chuncks per tick> is way OP lags my server like crazy, it does it so fast java cant garbage collect. lol

Xakthos

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah it doesn't recognize the set command, even copy and pasted from your post. Think I'm going to delete the whole thing and start over from scratch with it. It's just a testing server so no harm in doing so.

wipiid

Jul 29, 2019
i am using 0.1.1.231
Direwolf20

RUN FROM IN GAME AS /OP (NOT FROM CONSOLE)
i typed /worldborder set square 10000
then /worldborder fill ok
then /worldborder turbo 10

let it run over night and BINGO!!!

micahdg

Jul 29, 2019
For anyone else trying to perform this operation as of right now, there's a bug in Forge which causes worldborder to gobble up all the ram and eventually crash the server while trying to generate the new chunks. I'm currently working around this slowly by setting the world border larger in increments of 500 and restarting the server between each batch of 500.

For example starting off with:
/worldborder set square 500

After it's done, it saves the data to disk but the ram still shows being in use, so I restart the server to free the ram, then run these commands:

/worldborder set square 1000

Then reset, and increase the worldborder by another 500, etc. Tedious, but my players demand it :D

TiGG

Jul 29, 2019
these can be done from the server console, you have to put the world ID into the command string, i belive it says in the readme, and i find it much faster if i dont have anyone logged in and do it.

TiGG

Jul 29, 2019
as of now, wb cannot set in console, but can fill|turbo. so

"wb fill ok 0" is to fill dimention 0 aka overworld.
"wb turbo (cpt)" after and your good, talking to devs as a suggestion.

Unium

Jul 29, 2019
I'm doing this now, and it shows about 3 hours to fill 2500 square around 0. I didn't use the turbo command. but i think i'm going to try it out. lol

Question: Can i use the map after this is done in another server instalation?

Edit: LOL! turbo mode <5> gave me 30 minutes... i think i'm going for a bigger map :D

TiGG

Jul 29, 2019
what do you mean another server installation? if you copy the world folder and using the same seed to another location, i dont see why not.

Unium

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, that's what i did... the problem was that i had tickthreading running in one server installation.... and when i install ForgeEssencials the server won't start.