Powering Magma Crucible without Magmatic Engines?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
Efficiency is only a concern if you make it a concern, and it doesn't require constant input of cobble from an extruder. When you want lava, you put in cobblestone. Cobblestone is pretty easy to get. We're not talking about a magma crucible as part of a power plant. I'm talking about a magma crucible as a means to make lava. Do you know of any uses for lava beyond fuel? I do.
Just to tell a few:
a) it's good for TC3 research
b) automating your smeltery from TiC
c) anything that requires lava in the world
And think outside the box on fuel sources. Jess is powering his entire base solely on a sugar plant, and Saice has an energy-free mass producing cactus coke plant that literally requires no energy, being the most fuel efficient thing I've ever seen.

Ammaneus

Jul 29, 2019
It amazes me that so many people still use the Magma Crucible to produce lava, seriously, unless you throttle it with Netherrrack, its pointless for this.

Use this instead; http://ftbwiki.org/Lava_Fabricator, the Lava Fabricator from MFR, you can't put anything in it to make it more efficient, but it'll make a bucket of lava from 20K MJ (or 50K EU) instead of 24K, it doesn't need to be fed any cobble, requires no metal to make (the blaze rods/magma cream may be as difficult to get though) AND! it can be run off either EU or MJ with no need for power conversion.

My last base used a solar farm on the roof connected directly to Lava-Fabs, I then simply used Ender-Tans to teleport the lava around the base (it was vast, a couple of hundred blocks in every direction under a snowy mountain biome) to generators where I needed them, easy, cheap, boring and loss-less (almost).

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
Yea but that's doesn't mean to kick efficiency off the curb just because it's not burning it up. Cause the less it's cost to produce the better off your going to be. From obsidian making to centrifuging. Sometimes a little efficiency can goes a long depending on what's your doing.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Anything works. Magma crucibles max out at 30 MJ/t, so however you achieve that is up to you.

Fuel produces 6 MJ/t in a combustion engine, biofuel 5 MJ/t. Electrical engines un-upgraded produce 2 MJ/t and EU can be converted to MJ using power converters at a 2.5:1 ratio, respectively.

You might also choose to convert factorization charge or use steam. The commercial/industrial steam engines produce 6MJ/t and 8MJ/t, respectively iirc.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Someone got to do the math for charcoal consumption:mj production for 36LP Steam Boiler + however much Commercial Steam Engine vs Steam Engine with equivalent charcoal consumption.[DOUBLEPOST=1376318778][/DOUBLEPOST]Nvm, one 36lp boiler can support up to 18 commercial steam engines. So that is a total of 18×4 mj/t = 72 mj/t? So you need like 12 steam engines to match the output? How is the charcoal consumption like for the steam engine then in comparison with the 36lp boiler?

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Commercial engines are a waste of time then.

If you use a single power network for your whole base (conduit), then commercial engines are not needed, and it is far more efficient to use industrial engines. However, if you are like me, and send steam throughout the base with local engines at the point of mj consumption, the hobbyist and commercial are both used depending on the amount of energy required.