power loss querry

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Bloodprice

Jul 29, 2019
I am planning to use a bluectric engine attached to the power of some windmills off to the side of my base to produce some extra bc power (im making it from several sources to keep the resources used by each source down... and also for the fun of it) but since the engine is a hungry little monstrosity I need to keep its blue-tric network seperate from the rest of my machines, what I'm wondering is;
Is it more efficient for me to run the blue cable over to the engine and have it in my base, or plug the engine into a TE energy cube and then run the bc power back with conduits, im not sure what is the most efficient way in terms of losses, all I could find about the conduit was "There is energy loss, it is not distance based" which doesnt tell me much at all, and bluetric just confuses the hell out of me >_<

any help would be appreciated =D

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
A TE energy cube will experience a 5% energy loss, roughly, however it does make it easier to transport. I think there's an Engineering Turtle which can automate this.

10kV Wire will probably be a much better option for you when running long wires.

I would not suggest using a Bluetric Engine to supplement your MJ energy grid as a long-term solution. They are quite useful for independent projects, but not so much for sustained output.

If you are concerned about not being dependent on any one energy production method, I'd suggest a Boiler to run steam engines. The boiler itself can run on several different fuels, so if you find yourself running low on one type of fuel, you can always switch over. Peat, Charcoal, and Blaze Rods are all good options for boiler fuel, but just about anything that can be burned in a furnace can give you at least some time. The liquid fueled version can only run on Biofuel, Creosote, or Fuel (and Creosote goes REAL fast), so you don't have as much variety of fuels to load in.

Bloodprice

Jul 29, 2019
yeah, I was more doing it for the hell of it than because I need the power since it is such a greedy little machine, I just like having random stuff ;p currently I have a max size bolier powered by 5 peat farms that puts out 200 eu/t + 16? mj/t and 7 magmatic engines and 14 basic steam engines powered by charcoal which is being automated from a tree farm ;p thanks for the numbers on the energy cube