Power Generation! Resource gathering

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

stentninja

Jul 29, 2019
What is your faverite form of power generation other than lava it is boring and simple

(self sufficaint)

What mid late game way do you get tonnes of ores?

(turtles are a given but what code do you use?)

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Turtles? I prefer hammers and arcane bores. Power gen: treefarms wih TE3 and MFR and nether star power of course :p

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
If i'm playing with a pack that has mekanism, then i tend to go with its wind things. I know a lot of people don't like the "solar panel" styled power gen, but i really like the moving parts. You can't just throw down a thousand of the things because of their size, moving parts, and noise.

I've been playing with Extra utilities TNT generator and a mob farm. it's pretty fun and out of the normal.

As for resource gathering, i really like Thaumcraft's Arcane Bore. I keep telling myself that i'll make a base out of those tunnels eventually.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
If i'm playing with a pack that has mekanism, then i tend to go with its wind things. I know a lot of people don't like the "solar panel" styled power gen, but i really like the moving parts. You can't just throw down a thousand of the things because of their size, moving parts, and noise.

I've been playing with Extra utilities TNT generator and a mob farm. it's pretty fun and out of the normal.

As for resource gathering, i really like Thaumcraft's Arcane Bore. I keep telling myself that i'll make a base out of those tunnels eventually.
Bores can be 2 on the same base and can be a bore car!

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Currently my early base is being run off an automatic cow seed farm from magic crops, which I then turn into bottle o' enchanting which is then fed into combustion dynamos.

And I plan on using magic crops for resources too for a little while

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
Currently have a cyclic assembler cake factory fed by milk, wheat, and sugar from mfr machines and eggs from a chicken coup with a few well placed vacuum hoppers. Those cakes then give me about 128000 RF each at 240RF/t in 16 culinary generators. I also have a netherstar generator, but this fuel hasnt been automated yet (soon to be with mffs and basement mfr wither skelly mob grinder).

Rather than make a bagillion mystcraft worlds to find "the one" or deal with the deep dark, I'm electing to have a mfr mining laser put into the sky like a big space laser and have that transmit ores to me. If I can think of a way to use chest carts and "space elevator" the thing up there I may do that as well. Not sure launcher tracks have enough power even if starting on a mountain.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
For power gen I currently use several Mekanism Hydrogen Generators (and no, I don't care that they're unrealistic), but I'm currently switching over to four Big Reactors contained within a single chunk.

For resource gathering I use Blood Magic's Bound Pickaxe and several bags to store everything. One click and I'm done mining for awhile.

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
Energy I tend to use Hydrogen Gens or Wind Farms to start, then onto a Big Reactor (going to do turbines this time around). I play to build stuff, so energy is just an "extra" for me...so I don't care if it's boring...as long as it make my stuff run.

Resource gathering...start with a normal pick, move to Atomic Disassembler, then to a Digital Miner (and maybe a quarry+ or two)

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Small reactorcraft reactor hooked to rotational dynamos. It suffices for most of my power needs.

Resource gathering is done through a Rotary Craft boring machine.

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
Playing on magicfarm i have an enderquarry and workinng towards ritual of magnetism + ritual of crusher since it looks amazing

For power, i have backup survavilist generator with a potion generator (high setup price but almost free to run ) with a sugarcane and nether warts farm. They produce 160 rf/t for 40 sec. Thinking about adding a gunpowder step, should double the output.

Culinary gen can be used to but i think it's boring like a treefarm :3

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
For resource gathering I think a quarryplus in the twilight forest works pretty well, the deep dark is even better. If you put Fortune III on a max size quarry (equivalent to 16 regular quarries), it nets you 3000+ diamonds.

Then when you have a bunch of iron, compact windmills are pretty nice. Maybe a bit "magic block", but very server and framerate friendly. My 8 EV windmills produce 65k RF/t in total without any fuel or maintenance. The cost was about 100k iron and some (much less) copper, tin and rubber.

Reactions: malicious_bloke

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Advanced solar panels, wind turbines, anything "set and forget" basically.

Currently i'm in a wonderfully recursive arrangement with my "boring" lava too.

I have geothermal generators making EU, which feeds into my energy bridge and makes RF which my redstone conduits turn into MJ and send via tesseract to a pump in the nether, which sends lava back to geothermal generators making EU, which feeds into my energy bridge and makes RF which my redstone conduits turn into MJ and send via tesseract to a pump in the nether, which sends lava back to geothermal generators making EU, which feeds into my energy bridge and makes RF which my redstone conduits turn into MJ and send via tesseract to a pump in the nether, which sends lava back to geothermal generators making EU, which feeds into my energy bridge and makes RF etc etc

It's probably absurdly inefficient as a setup but it makes me dizzy just thinking about it so i'm keeping it until I get round to building a BigReactor (or at least working out how the hell it's meant to work :p)[DOUBLEPOST=1396632575][/DOUBLEPOST]
For resource gathering I think a quarryplus in the twilight forest works pretty well, the deep dark is even better. If you put Fortune III on a max size quarry (equivalent to 16 regular quarries), it nets you 3000+ diamonds.

Then when you have a bunch of iron, compact windmills are pretty nice. Maybe a bit "magic block", but very server and framerate friendly. My 8 EV windmills produce 65k RF/t in total without any fuel or maintenance. The cost was about 100k iron and some (much less) copper, tin and rubber.

Yeah, I got back into compactwindmills, it's handy if you're willing to pay the iron price *whistles innocently*

It's taken me the total devastation of around 240 chunks to make my current array, and i'm out of iron again. *le sigh*

TheAwesomater

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using reactant dynamos powered by sugar and sewage (no idea why that works :D) and then I'm using an ender quarry to use all that dirty power :).

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Easy mode...

Make some steel TiCo tools and start hammering for resources.

MFR tree farm >> Charcoal >> Steam Dynamos initially.
Next step, I send the coal to Steam Boilers and move my Steam Dynamos to the boilers.

At this point I generally make a BC Quarry. In time I will add an always-on mining laser.

A Big Reactors reactor is usually next, just for fun.