Power generation IC2/GT

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I am running a modified mindcrack mod pack. I am looking for something better/more interesting for eu generation. I've run geothermals and the GT version, but I wanted to do something else. I was going to do methane with a rubber tree farm, but the most recent version of GT nerfed rubber wood and now it only gives 1 methane instead of 4. Converting meat to methane costs 25,000eu, and generates 45,000eu, for a net of 20,000. It returns 44% more power than it took to create it.

Even though it doesn't seem like much, converting plant balls into ic2 biofuel cells only costs 1600eu to create and generates 6000, with a net of 4400eu. This returns 73% more power than it took to create. From an efficiency standpoint, biofuel cells are almost twice as efficient as methane production.

Are there any other interesting fuel paths that I could use?

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Are there any other interesting fuel paths that I could use?

Some sort of farm. Wheat or tree or whatever. Make plantballs from the wheat/sapling/seeds. Macerate the plantballs. Centrifuge the dirt, and burn Lithium for energy.

Convoluted!

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
I just check

I just checked on Mindcrack and I can't get lithium from dirt?
its worse than the above... I believe from the centrifuge dirt stage you get 1 clay -> craft into clay blocks -> macerate into clay dust (eating 50% of the clay) -> and then centrifuge the dust for lithium.

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Jul 29, 2019
its worse than the above... I believe from the centrifuge dirt stage you get 1 clay -> craft into clay blocks -> macerate into clay dust (eating 50% of the clay) -> and then centrifuge the dust for lithium.
That's a bit bad. Still, you get some Eu from it at least

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry yeah I missed steps. Peppe had it correct.

You also get silicon, aluminium and sodium as side products. The sodium is good if you use a grinder for tin, copper, or silver.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I simply built a nuclear reactor. The GregTech centrifuge gives you bonus fuel cells from uranium dust, so why not?

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
hehe... my bases eu production is roundabout, but at least fun and interesting to build.

Enderchest oil pumping stations to keep an in-house refinery constantly going at all times. Blulectric engine powered by 6 wind turbines and 21 solar panels nets around 10MJ/tick average. This renewable MJ is for running TE machines, blulectric furnaces, and for running the refinery all excess is dumped into a storage cube. The refinery outputs fuel to petroleum generators that output 25 eu/tick each for a total of 300,000 EU per bucket of fuel which is being refined on 100% renewable resources.

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
You can try this:
1. Tier 5 zombie farm for methane
2. Over-engineered 15K eu/t windmill arrays (you can find it in the IC2 thread)
3. Automatic nuclear reactor arrays with quad thorium+breeders and logistic pipe (this can provide 20K eu/t)
4. Tier 5 endermen and blaze farm for endereye and wither farm in the magic converter box.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Since zombies no longer drop feathers, I'm going to make a chicken farm for the methane. I can use the feathers for thaumcraft research or arrows. If I end up with a tier5 zombie shard, I'll supplement my methane production with that. (I haven't found any dungeons yet. :( )

A reed farm for plantballs -> ic2 biofuel cells -> diesel generator

Wheat farm - > moisteners -> Mycelium - > centrifuge - clay -> lithium (extra wheat and seeds will go into plantballs)

The magic converter box sounds like fun. It requires a beacon to build, so it will be a bit before I can manage that.

I'll have to look into the quad thorium reactor. Since you can get thorium from coal dust, and there are a few ways to get coal dust (besides coal), I should be able to build a sustainable reactor. I'll also look at a breeder reactor for producing more fuel cells.

DanteDarkstar

Jul 29, 2019
I recently built a ultra-boiler (maximum size High Pressure, 36 blocks) and hooked 2 steam turbines into it. Planning to use biofuel (from wheat and saplings) to heat the boiler. The boiler produces 720 steam, which runs 2 turbines at full power (640 steam) and has enough steam for 8MJ/t extra in steam engines (can be used to run some support infrastructure around boiler and power plant).
It is very steel-expensive setup to build, but pretty efficient: 1 million EU costs 2.5 buckets of biofuel (when fully heated) and 1/3 steel ingot to produce (approximating turbine rotor durability). Compare with biogenerator using up 31.5 buckets of biofuel to get 1 million EU, to realize the total uberness of the boiler.
And steel isn't so hard to get once you have correct setup. Pyrite is popular in nether (veins are huge, up to several stacks of ore) and silk-touched can be smelted in TE induction smelter for 2 iron ingots and chance for rich slag. Without silktouch it would take comparatively lot EU to make in electrolyzer from pyrite dust.

Alternatively you could fuel the boiler with something else, like real fuel (less than 1 bucket for million EU) or peat (which would require I estimate around 1 peat farm constant output to run, but not sure).

[Edit:] Or you can use boiler + magmatic conversion to get EU from MJ (make lava in magma crucible, burn magma in thermal generator) to incur no steel cost to run, although magmatic conversion from free cobble is less efficient than steam turbine. Netherrack-powered conversion is MORE efficient and in fact you could set up a system with Magma Crucible and Thermal Generator that only requires netherrack to run, effectively making netherrack-powered generator.

Maldroth

Jul 29, 2019
I have had an idea to use Energetic Bees or breed the Lightning side effect into some regular honey producers and then put up some lightning rods among them and see if I can generate enough reliable power on that. Might not be good for Gregtech machines but for just regular IC2 storage it might work. It certainly is different.

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Jul 29, 2019
You can try this:
1. Tier 5 zombie farm for methane
2. Over-engineered 15K eu/t windmill arrays (you can find it in the IC2 thread)
3. Automatic nuclear reactor arrays with quad thorium+breeders and logistic pipe (this can provide 20K eu/t)
4. Tier 5 endermen and blaze farm for endereye and wither farm in the magic converter box.
What is a Magic Converter Box? I look on NEI but didn't see it.

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
I have had an idea to use Energetic Bees or breed the Lightning side effect into some regular honey producers and then put up some lightning rods among them and see if I can generate enough reliable power on that. Might not be good for Gregtech machines but for just regular IC2 storage it might work. It certainly is different.
It doesn't work like that, unfortunately.

Also, if you're going to use anything which burns, and ESPECIALLY if you use burnable liquids, use steam boilers.
And if you ever want to convert MJ into EU, then use the MJ to make lava in a magma crucible using cobblestone, then put the lava into geothermal or thermal generators.

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019
hehe... my bases eu production is roundabout, but at least fun and interesting to build.

Enderchest oil pumping stations to keep an in-house refinery constantly going at all times. Blulectric engine powered by 6 wind turbines and 21 solar panels nets around 10MJ/tick average. This renewable MJ is for running TE machines, blulectric furnaces, and for running the refinery all excess is dumped into a storage cube. The refinery outputs fuel to petroleum generators that output 25 eu/tick each for a total of 300,000 EU per bucket of fuel which is being refined on 100% renewable resources.

How large is your oil buffer? It seems like it would be a bit of a hassle having to constantly find a new oil spout to set up a remote pumping base from.
[Edit:] Or you can use boiler + magmatic conversion to get EU from MJ (make lava in magma crucible, burn magma in thermal generator) to incur no steel cost to run, although magmatic conversion from free cobble is less efficient than steam turbine. Netherrack-powered conversion is MORE efficient and in fact you could set up a system with Magma Crucible and Thermal Generator that only requires netherrack to run, effectively making netherrack-powered generator.
This is the best idea honestly, just get a few digger's backpacks (2 or 3), a lappack and a drill or laser (whichever you prefer) and go to town in the nether. It's not that hard to get netherrack, and if you go Crucible->Generator (which is the best route, IMO, because no iron usage) then the energy you spend grabbing the netherrack really does not compare at all to the energy you'll save.

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
I manage to keep around 150 buckets in a buffer at all times. I pump it faster than I can use it.