Possible to make coal in the beta pack?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ATJ

Jul 29, 2019
Hi,

Can't see any indication of such on the wiki, but that doesn't necessarily mean it can't be done. Does anyone know if it's possible to make coal in the standard beta pack? Perhaps from industrial centrfuging something or maybe one of the TE contraptions to turn, say, charcoal into liquid and then back to solid state coal or something? Unfortunately only coal with work so charcoal is out of the question (perhaps for obvious reasons).

Thx.

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
If you have Gregtech disabled, you can make UU matter in mass fab and then make caol of UU matter.

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
In the Mindcrack pack you can also get Coal dust from Bees (thanks to the Extrabees mod). I don't know if adding Extrabees to the beta pack is possible, but then it's probably still one of clumsier/longer/complicated ways of getting coal (as you'll have to breed bees, which takes time, luck and knowhow of what you want to breed and how to get there).

Not the best suggestion, but I figured I'd mention it anyway.

Predatorkillol

Jul 29, 2019
In the Mindcrack pack you can also get Coal dust from Bees (thanks to the Extrabees mod). I don't know if adding Extrabees to the beta pack is possible, but then it's probably still one of clumsier/longer/complicated ways of getting coal (as you'll have to breed bees, which takes time, luck and knowhow of what you want to breed and how to get there).

Not the best suggestion, but I figured I'd mention it anyway.

the problem with this is that you can't turn coal dust to regular coal.

ATJ

Jul 29, 2019
Yes unfortunately none of the above are any good, either because they're not in the beta pack or it's simply not "creating" it from something else. Needed it for diamonds, but managed to actually find a nice vein of diamonds and I was lucky enough to have a fortune 3 iron pick so it's not an issue now.

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
you don't really need coal for diamonds, it's a horrible conversion factor (1 stack to 1 diamond) and will run through all your coal stupid fast.It is almost better to just keep digging on layer 10 until you get enough.

another option for finding a lot of diamonds is to explore the twilight forest and find a maze map focus in a labyrinth. Using a maze map focus, craft a magic ore map that can see through walls and show you the location of all diamonds in a large area. This option does require a few diamonds and a lot of exploration to accomplish though.

What I never seem to have enough coal for is steel, however. basically 100% of the coal I mine gets pumped through a coke oven and into a blast furnace with iron in order to make steel, and it's still the limiting factor in the growth of my power plant. damned turbines take so much :D

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
If Gregtech is installed, I believe there is a industrial centrifuge recipe for blaze powder that will give you coal dust. So, not the cheapest option, but if you got a blaze or magma cube spawn soul shard spawner, that could be used to create diamonds or fuel an industrial blast furnace for steel. I am playing a modified mindcrack pack.

Squigie

Jul 29, 2019
What I never seem to have enough coal for is steel, however. basically 100% of the coal I mine gets pumped through a coke oven and into a blast furnace with iron in order to make steel, and it's still the limiting factor in the growth of my power plant. damned turbines take so much :D
You could use charcoal to fuel the blast furnace. It takes twice as much as coal coke, but it is useful if you need so much steel.

For boosting coal supplies, the Factorization grinder will produce ~3.5 coal per ore. Also, ~2.25 diamonds per diamond ore.