Possible exploit with Forge Lexicon block and GregTech (Mindcrack FTB pack)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

NightKev

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks to GT's abuse of the forge ore dictionary (it adds a whole bunch of unequal circuits to the ore dictionary), you can convert an 'electronic circuit' into an 'iron and gate' or a 'medium circuit board', among other things (and similar with the adv circuit). There are probably a few other things you can convert around as well, so you might want to set up the "omnitools.ignore" with a few of these non-ingot items.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know, I think if you're playing by Greg's plans, that sounds appropriate rather than an exploit. Just saves him work on spreading the compatibility further.

NightKev

Jul 29, 2019
It's highly suspect that these items are even interchangeable considering their differing costs. Who needs to spend all those diamonds/etc on a BC3 assembly table + lasers + [lots of MJs] when I can just convert an IC2 circuit into an Iron AND Gate?

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, the gates at the very least should be added to the Lexicon exclusions. I'm not entirely sure what the best way to get the FTB team to look into it, though, considering there still is no official answer to the common question of why Factorization was excluded from the Magic World pack. You'd think they would have seen at least one of the instances of people asking about it...

i actually think the ability to switch the redstone circuits into other kinds is a bit more abusive then the other way around, though, considering the low, low, low material cost.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
It's highly suspect that these items are even interchangeable considering their differing costs. Who needs to spend all those diamonds/etc on a BC3 assembly table + lasers + [lots of MJs] when I can just convert an IC2 circuit into an Iron AND Gate?

(This thread probably belongs in the GT flame war discussion thread)

I agree
Machine blocks, TE machine chassis and forestry machine casings are not equal to each other.
8 refined iron is very easy.​
8 bronze (even with forestry nerf) is even cheaper thanks to abundance of tin/copper​
TE chassis are a pain to make, and the most expensive​
Same story with circuits/tubes/gates.
This just gives players the option to always use easiest/cheapest resulting in LESS overall balance. Well done Greg. *claps hooves slowly*​

The first thing I do is turn off [set to false] all the options on the circuitry tab in Recipes.cfg
Mostly because the constant cycling between items in NEI is f******g annoying.
The different ingots are ok- they all look similar and have the same name 'X ingot'​
But cycling 'Advanced ciruit->Diamond electron tube->autarchic gate ect' is distracting and makes it near impossible to read the recipe. I'm forever waiting for it to cycle back around to get the one I'm looking for.​
And they all cycle out of sync.​
On a side note- I like the enhanced difficulty. I dislike the half arsed way its added.

Reactions: mr_vit

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
I think the point is more what the Lexicon inadvertantly causes rather than what GregTech does with them.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I think the point is more what the Lexicon inadvertantly causes rather than what GregTech does with them.

The lexicon was designed to cause this- to allow players to interchange identical materials from different mods- otherwise you have 5 of each ingot type that cant be used together.

The exploit/issue is GT using this to interchange items of non-identical value.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
The Omnitools page warns of this sort of possibility and provides a config to avoid it, as well as providing a default config that turns off the dye exploit that would have already been in the game even without mods. The Omnitools mod is volatile in this way, the page warns of it, and encourages the use of the config to settle the exploits it was bound to cause by its nature. GregTech used the dictionary to allow gates to substitute in for IC2 circuits before the Omnitools mod came about. The Omnitools mod is what introduced the problem AND what provided the means to fix the problem. So why this shouldn't focus on getting the Lexicon config fixed is beyond me.

Reactions: whythisname

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
The Omnitools page warns of this sort of possibility and provides a config to avoid it, as well as providing a default config that turns off the dye exploit that would have already been in the game even without mods. The Omnitools mod is volatile in this way, the page warns of it, and encourages the use of the config to settle the exploits it was bound to cause by its nature. GregTech used the dictionary to allow gates to substitute in for IC2 circuits before the Omnitools mod came about. The Omnitools mod is what introduced the problem AND what provided the means to fix the problem. So why this shouldn't focus on getting the Lexicon config fixed is beyond me.

I agree, the issue here is entirely with the Lexicon, not with GregTech. Actually I think the 2 shouldn't be together in 1 package, I mean GregTech attempts to combine mods by allowing you to share circuits (so teching in 1 mod will help you in another as well). The Lexicon attempts the same thing (teching in 1 mod helping with teching in other mods), but allows you to actually change the items which will always bring along exploits... (he warns for that though).

Personally I will probably not use the Lexicon, or only for specific purposes, to hopefully keep the feeling of exploiting down (I don't mind using exploits, but they do have to take a certain amount of work to feel "legit" to me). I love the OmniWrench though, which is enough reason to keep the mod as a whole in all packs (for me at least).

NightKev

Jul 29, 2019
GregTech is still at fault for marking completely different items as "equal" in the ore dictionary (when they have vastly different construction costs), but yeah at the very least the FTB guys can configure the circuits in the ignore list of the Lexicon (although I didn't realize there was a GT config option to disable the circuit ore dictionary additions, that would be the better option for them to take).

Reactions: dirtcrusher

Honza8D

Jul 29, 2019
by the way, gregtech adds its own way to deal with multiple same ignots - unification mode in electric crafting table (the option looks like DNA), it turns all ignots into ic/gt ignots