portals?

Dread Quixadhal

Jul 29, 2019
So, excuse my utter n00bness... I played minecraft ages ago, with just a few mods. I recently decided to set up a server using the FTB Ultimate pack, but to be honest I only have a general grasp on half the mods in there. :)

So, my question is simple. Using mods that are in FTB Ultimate, how would I go about creating a fixed portal (similar to the nether portals) that will teleport someone to either a fixed coordinate, or to another fixed portal, in the main world map?

Ages ago, I had a mod that specifically did just this. While I could probably find one again, I'm also sure SOMETHING in the existing pack can do this, maybe several different somethings, but am not sure where to start looking.

If anyone could drop me a few breadcrumbs as to which mods I should be looking at, I'd be much obliged.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Mystcraft Portals allow you to travel from dimension to dimension, for example the Overworld (where you spawn) to the Nether. This works in all dimensions you may come across. HOWEVER mystcraft portals do not allow you to travel intradimensionally. This means you can't have two portals in different places that link to each other in the same dimension.

These work by using linking books which are made simply by placing a vanilla book in your crafting grid. It'll link that book to the coordinates you're standing on. You can open the book and click on the black square inside in other dimensions to teleport to it's desination. Be warned, the book does not travel with you! You can place books on bookstands or you can use crystal blocks, found in mystcraft ages (their version of dimensions) to make a portal, similar to a nether portal.

This is done by fixing the shape of a portal as you would with the nether with crystal blocks then placing a book receptacle (crafted like a chest with crystals) on it, then right clicking the receptacle with a linking book. This will open your portal and allow you to travel through dimensions.

In theory, you could have a portal going to another dimension like the nether where another portal lies to take you to your destination, thereby using the nether as a buffer, but this just seems like a faff.

There is an alternative.

The Portal gun mod provides the Portal Gun from the Portal games. If you haven't played those games before, it's a gun that fires two portals; blue and orange. Those portals are linked. So if you fire the orange one, say in your base, and the blue one in your target destination, hopping between portals would take you back and forth freely and these portals are fixed until you turn them off or move them.

Portal guns are created with mashed up enderpearls, iron, redstone and nether stars (obtained by withers) but they can be found very rarely in treasure chests found in dungeons, temples, crypts, wisp spawning obsidian totems or underneath greatwood trees covered in cobwebs underneath a spider spawner.

Portal guns also come in 5 different types, so you can have up to 5 portals working at once in your world. 2 of these portal guns (Bacon and Potato) shoot grey portals, the colour of which can be changed in the mod's config file with hexadecimal colour codes (For example #FF0000 being red)

Reactions: Freakscar

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
Mystcraft portals let you travel between the same dimension if you make the link book intra-linking. Depending on the version, it's either impossible, fuckin' expensive, or a real pain in the ass, but it can still happen.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly my mind's still on the older versions where a feather and a book made an age. I'm not too sure how new versions work and as far as I'm concerned the effort to make an intradimensional portal is better spent on finding/making a portal gun/portal spawner.

Or hell, get creative and make trains! Choo-choo!

Reactions: ApSciLiara

Badger

Jul 29, 2019
or use the portals mod. very fun mod. two iron doors and an ender pearl, plus a rift maker to connect them.

Badger

Jul 29, 2019
yeah, dimension doors. oops.

Mystcraft has lost all appeal now that it has been given the gregtech treatment. Guess you have to make mods stupid hard to keep them relevant. all this because of a hopper?

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
yeah, dimension doors. oops.

Mystcraft has lost all appeal now that it has been given the gregtech treatment. Guess you have to make mods stupid hard to keep them relevant. all this because of a hopper?

I think I missed something, what happened to Mystcraft?

Badger

Jul 29, 2019
not literally, but the mystcraft language has become... confusing. order matters, many words have unintuitive placement, and virtually every world you create has nasty instability. I know people love having higher complexity, but to me, complexity ios something that the player should create, not the mod maker. mods should be simple, and what you DO with them, complex.

Reactions: Succubism