Portable age of engineering

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
Does anyone know how I could setup a portable minecraft instance with the age of engineering pack on it. Either to run off a thumb drive or to be copied back and forth via a thumb drive.

Thanks in advance.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
The new minecraft launcher with embedded java does not support portable installs so these instructions assume you have an up to date java installed and can use the older launcher:

(Also, check out the MultiMC launcher as an alternative to the below.)

1. Download the following files and place them in a folder:
* Minecraft.jar from https://minecraft.net/en-us/download/alternative (Windows users can download the .exe as long as its the older version)
* cmpdl-xxx.jar from https://github.com/Vazkii/CMPDL/releases (cmpdl-1.1.3.jar is the current version).
* forge-1.10.2-xxx-installer.jar from http://files.minecraftforge.net/maven/net/minecraftforge/forge/index_1.10.2.html (the latest is forge-1.10.2-12.18.3.2422-installer.jar)

2. Make a Portable install of Minecraft:
Create a command file to launch the minecraft.jar using the appropriate command line:

Code:
# Linux/Mac/Windows can all use this. On Windows you'll get a extra console window though.
java -jar ./Minecraft.jar -workDir ./.minecraft
# In a windows .cmd file this will conceal the console window
@start javaw -jar Minecraft.jar -workDir .minecraft
#If you downloaded the "older" Minecraft.exe you can use this in a shortcut rather than a cmd file:
Minecraft.exe -workDir .minecraft
* Make sure to run minecraft using this shortcut and it will install all its files to a local .minecraft folder.
* Once you've logged in, click on "Edit Profile" and choose "1.10.2" as the current MC version. Launch it at least once to install all the files.
* Exit Minecraft

3. Install Forge
* Run forge installer .jar and click the "..." button to point it at the .minecraft folder that was created when you launched your default profile in step 2.

4. Install AOE
* Run cmpdl-1.x.x.jar and paste in the modpack URL: https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/age-of-engineering and click "Download".

* Once the files have downloaded, copy the contents that cmpdl created (./Age of Engineering-1.0.4/minecraft) into the .minecraft folder.

5. Setup your AOE Profile
Once Step 4 has completed, relaunch your Portable Minecraft using the cmd file. Click on "New Profile" and create a profile with the following settings:
* Profile Name: "Age of Engineering".
* "Use Version" to be "release 1.10.2-forge1.10.2-12.18.3.2422"
* Enable "JVM Arguments" and edit the first parameter to be "-Xmx3G"

6. Done
This folder should now contain a portable install of Minecraft setup to use Age of Engineering as its default profile.
If you want to clean it up you can delete the unneeded profiles (forge + yor user name), the forge installer, as well as delete the Age of Engineering-1.0.4 folder entirely. Keep cmpdl.jar as it will be useful if/when you wish to update to AOE-1.0.5+.
Be sure to use the .cmd file you created to launch minecraft; if you run Minecraft directly it will fall back to using the install files in your user profile folder.

Last edited:

zBob

Jul 29, 2019
You could also setup MultiMC on a thumb drive and import the instance of any mod pack there.

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
Thank you for the step by step GreenZombie.

zBob, I tried that first. I got it to play on the desktop I created it on but something didn't get copied so it wouldn't work elsewhere.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

zBob, I tried that first. I got it to play on the desktop I created it on but something didn't get copied so it wouldn't work elsewhere.

I've not tried this so my thought is just a conjecture, but have you looked to see if any files are in your '\\users\(user directory)\appdata directory? I think Minecraft puts some things there.

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
There are files there for my local vanilla play through. I think the multimc thumb install saw those files and didn't setup quite right. I'll try GreenZombie's step through. If it doesn't work for some reason I might go back to the multimc version.

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
Works like a charm!
Now to grind away!!!