Please help, need input on computer build!

Deadlocked212

Jul 29, 2019
Minecraft FTB is definitely my most-played game and I've recently gotten enough money to upgrade from my craptop to a nice desktop! My budget is about $2,000 including peripherals and I've been doing a lot of research on parts and specs. It will mainly be used for Minecraft and Steam games, also some light schoolwork. So, my question is: With these components could I play FTB Ultimate or Unleashed at 60fps with max settings, Extreme render distance, 64x64 texture packs and maybe shaders? (@1080p) I've made a build on pcpartpicker & the total is like $2,008. The parts are...
  • Intel Core i7 4770K 3.5Ghz Quad-Core CPU
  • Corsair H100i Liquid CPU Cooler
  • MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 MOBO
  • Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM (2x8GB)
  • Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD
  • Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM HDD
  • MSI GeForce GTX 770 Lightning 2GB Graphics Card
  • Rosewill Blackhawk ATX Mid Tower Case
  • EVGA SuperNova 650W PSU (Gold 80+)
Any helpful suggestions or constructive criticism will be gladly accepted. If I forgot anything, my bad, just let me know any more info I need to give.

Update: I've changed the build up and I'm now going with a micro ATX build! So the only changes are the case, which is now a Corsair 350D, mobo (to a Gigabyte board), 2x Gigabyte R9 280x's & an 850w PSU. Let me know what you think!

Last edited:

Chaka

FTB Team
Mod Developer
Retired Staff
Dec 24, 2013
New Jersey
I honestly think that is good. Let me check into this and ill tell you tomorrow if I am right.

will8c

Jul 29, 2019
Looks like a good setup. Personally I would get a higher wattage power supply. I like to buy one that will exceed the system needs that way I have plenty of room for extra upgrades later, more hard drives, memory, fans, etc. Also power supplies last a long time so if you get a good one you can use it for your next system.

Chaka

FTB Team
Mod Developer
Retired Staff
Dec 24, 2013
New Jersey
Looks like a good setup. Personally I would get a higher wattage power supply. I like to buy one that will exceed the system needs that way I have plenty of room for extra upgrades later, more hard drives, memory, fans, etc. Also power supplies last a long time so if you get a good one you can use it for your next system.
Yes I agree. Also if you decide not to build a computer try the Dell Alienware x51 or Alienware Aurora

Deadlocked212

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I'm definitely going to follow your advice on upgrading the power supply! I updated the original post to let you guys see the changes I've made in the last few days.

MobiusOne

Jul 29, 2019
If your only going for 60 FPS, then thats overkill. I actually built my own comp recently (i5 4670K, Z-87 Pro Asus mobo, 16gb ram, 1 tb hd, and 1000W psu, Nvidia 660 ti) and it runs Ultimate at around 200 fps. Total cost was under $1000 (940 or something). I love it. Also, you probably wont need a liquid cooling system at all, unless you are actually going to overclock.
Edit: also BE CAREFUL not to get too small a case for your parts, you can find part dimensions and case dimensions online somewhere im sure

Deadlocked212

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you guys for your advice! I looked up the part dimensions & some similar builds in the same case, these parts will definitely fit! Also, I know this looks like overkill but I was thinking that the 2x Far render distance & shaders would hamper my FPS a lot so I just wanted to make sure that they wouldn't affect performance. I'm also planning to overclock too.