Player proximity imitation

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

JarinArenos

Jul 29, 2019
So, I'm trying to use some vanilla mob spawners in a grinder, since the DW20 pack lacks soulshards, and I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction of a block or construction that imitates the presence of a player for spawning proximity purposes. I don't think default turtles do this, but maybe there's an attachment? Or some other kind of entity that registers as a player to vanilla mechanisms?

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
Well, it will require you to completely change your spawner, but you CAN use extra utilities' Cursed Earth to spawn anything which can naturally spawn at a particular location, and it does not require player proximity. Just use a wand of dislocation or any similar device to move the block to the nether/end.

KhrFreak

Jul 29, 2019
Well, it will require you to completely change your spawner, but you CAN use extra utilities' Cursed Earth to spawn anything which can naturally spawn at a particular location, and it does not require player proximity. Just use a wand of dislocation or any similar device to move the block to the nether/end.
Well technically it does because it's a vanilla rule that mobs despawn when >128 blocks from a player. But that's still a lot better then 16 blocks of a vanilla spawner

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
I've read somewhere that you can use a vanilla villager for this. Just make sure he can't go anywhere.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
DW20 did a grinder this way in his server play series, but he found that creepers would randomly explode in there if Ars Magica mobs attacked them. Should work fine if you dont have AM2 installed though.

JarinArenos

Jul 29, 2019
DW20 did a grinder this way in his server play series, but he found that creepers would randomly explode in there if Ars Magica mobs attacked them. Should work fine if you dont have AM2 installed though.
Which way was this? I haven't been following his series as closely lately. He used villagers? I'm mostly working with blaze spawners here, so I can just stick the villagers in a protective box if that's the trick.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
Which way was this? I haven't been following his series as closely lately. He used villagers? I'm mostly working with blaze spawners here, so I can just stick the villagers in a protective box if that's the trick.

Oh, no I meant he used the cursed earth as a means to create mob spawns. He didnt use villagers, although it likely would have helped if things aggro against something they cant hit. Still might get cross fire if the creeper gets inbetween anything that would shoot at the villager even if they cant hit it.

JarinArenos

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, the cursed earth spawns AM2 mos that are aggressive to creepers? I've never seen them attack in the wild before...

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
The mages, some of them go around roughing up mobs for laughs.

ROTFLMAO :)

I hadn't though of a pecking order within the mob community, but it makes sense, given that other mobs get really pissy when a skeleton shoots them in the back. I let them duke it out before I take on the winner.

JarinArenos

Jul 29, 2019
Regardless, while an interesting generic mob grinder idea, I don't think it'll work here. I'm trying to get spawners to trigger, not just random mob-spawn like cursed earth. I'm beginning to suspect that I'm chasing a dead-end here, though.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Regardless, while an interesting generic mob grinder idea, I don't think it'll work here. I'm trying to get spawners to trigger, not just random mob-spawn like cursed earth. I'm beginning to suspect that I'm chasing a dead-end here, though.

I forget the name of the mod in 1.5.2 where a Tier 4 or Tier 5 spawner did not require the player in the vicinity. Peeps complained about it being OP, so it got nerfed in its 1.6 version.

EDIT : The name hit me after I pressed send. Xeno's Reliquary.
EDITv2: Soul Shards

Don't see what the fuss was all about. Bees can produce damn near everything in the game in huge quantities on a chunkloaded server, and they aren't nerfed. As a disclaimer, I use bees extensively, but not mob spawners. The one thing I don't think bees can produce is mob essence, but I never have a need for a lot of that. I use [TT] for my repair and enchanting needs.

Last edited:

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
I forget the name of the mod in 1.5.2 where a Tier 4 or Tier 5 spawner did not require the player in the vicinity. Peeps complained about it being OP, so it got nerfed in its 1.6 version.

EDIT : The name hit me after I pressed send. Xeno's Reliquary.

Don't see what the fuss was all about. Bees can produce damn near everything in the game in huge quantities on a chunkloaded server, and they aren't nerfed. As a disclaimer, I use bees extensively, but not mob spawners. The one thing I don't think bees can produce is mob essence, but I never have a need for a lot of that. I use [TT] for my repair and enchanting needs.

You mean Soul Shards.

Reactions: MigukNamja

John.E

Dec 18, 2013
Doral, FL
Unfortunately, there isn't anything that does what you're looking for as far as I know. You can still use the MFR Grinder/Auto-Spawner combination. It still works the same.

Reactions: AlanEsh

Bruigaar

Jul 29, 2019
Use a portal gun and move the spawners to be just under your base. That way whenever you are home you produce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk