Player entity...block?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Kwequay

Jul 29, 2019
G'day everyone,

Had an idea for a bit of a mob farm x mob essence grinder.

Basically what I want to do is create a basic dark room that mobs can spawn in just big enough for a grinder to kill them constantly, gather the loot and tesseract the essence into a massive iron tank.

The thing is though, I want it to work while I'm off doing other things. For max spawn rates I was planning to build it in the sky.

From my understanding, for mobs to spawn there needs to be a "player" nearby, and chunk loading alone is not enough.

Is there a block that will act in such a way as to force mobs to spawn when no player is nearby?

Any advice is appreciated!

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
There's no such "fake player" block per say, but depending on what versions of MineCraft + mods you're using, there may still be ways to do what you want.

Yosomith

Jul 29, 2019
Try a cursed earth style mob spawner if I recall correctly they should spawn mobs while your not there

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Yup cursed earth spawners keep right on spawning the 20k gunpowder and 2k ender pearls (haven't been to the end yet) in my AE system tell me that as does the iron capped wooden wands with Pech's Curse foci, I built my spawner in a magical forest biome :)

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
Haven't heard of it having anything to do with mobs, myself - FTB wiki reckons that it spawns mobs faster then usual, but has nothing to say about any unattended spawning properties.

But it sounds like the basic idea is to just set up a mob grinder with a floor made out of the stuff for them to spawn on. Guess it won't help any for systems that spawn mobs in mid-air.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Use ExtraUtilities' Magnum Torch to kill off natural spawn in large areas. Curse Earth (and other force spawning mechanics) spawning mechanics ignore the Magnum Torch's restrictions. Then you can either build a room around the Cursed Earth with Grinders or you can use Fans from Openblocks to blow them down to whatever transport system you've built to funnel them to a central Grinder location.

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
The main thing is you need a silk touch shovel and a division sigil from extra utils you also need to perform the activation ritual (somewhat involved) for the division sigil which will create quite a large area of cursed earth ... and spawn a lot of very annoyed mobs with speed :D
But once you have the earth just set up a spawner as you normally would using the earth as a floor, however light level is critical as cursed earth burns in even fairly low light levels to turn off your spawner TiC drawbridges are about the best option.
The spawn rate is very high I usually get around a dozen mobs in 40 seconds (in my 15x16 spawn room) it definitely does work unattended since yesterday before I logged off (home server just me and the kids on it) I had 16k gunpowder today I had 20k.

Kwequay

Jul 29, 2019
CURSED EARTH HO!

Thanks for that guys, I know what my plan will be after work! (Finding a freakin division sigil...yay)