Platinum for Thermal mods.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
D

Daihok

Has anyone found out how to obtain platinum from the thermal mods? I have yet to ever see any platinum ore. Do i need a mod that adds platinum or what?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
1) Check your CoFH World config file to determine if Platinum ore is set to spawn.

2) If not, don't worry. Pulverizing Nickel has a chance of producing a platinum as a bonus. Induction smelting with Cinnabar gives the best percentage. Secondary filter upgrades might also help.

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
Silk touch Redstone ore.
Pulverize it to get 12 Redstone and 1 cinnabar.
Induction smelt all nickel bore with a cinnabar to get 3 nickel and one platinum.

I usually then immediately grind the ingot, mix it with silver tin and ender for enderium.

Last edited:

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Silk touch Redstone ore.
Pulverize it to get 12 Redstone and 1 cinnabar.
Induction smelt all nickel bore with a cinnabar to get 3 nickel and one platinum.
I can't overemphasise how useful @Cpt_gloval's tip is here. When something is as hard to get as platinum can be, you want to make the most of what you can get - and a guaranteed platinum for every nickel ore (and cinnabar) is nothing to be sniffed at. Save up your cinnabar and use it for this - its worth it.

Likewise, if you DO find any platinum ore, you'll want to make the most of it - the pyro-concentrator augment for the Induction Smelter should (if memory serves) guarantee you one more ingot than you'd otherwise get - so in the case of cinnabar/rich slag smelting, instead of the usual 3 ingots of the main metal, you will get 4.

EDIT: Looking at the Team CoFH website, the drop rate of redstone may have gone down to 6 and a 25% of cinnabar with a pulveriser - though that doesn't count augments. Also (again from the website) @Daihok's experience isn't unusual - it looks like platinum ore may not be set to spawn in default configs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daihok

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
Yes, I cannot remember the last time I mined a platinum/shiny ore, other then some nether ore spawning if you have that mod.

One of my 1st automatons is the afore mentioned setups. Sometimes before I setup auto processing of the rest of my ores.

Reactions: Daihok
D

Daihok

Sweet thanks again for the help guys. Found on reddit how to add the ore gen to config but think will leave it as intended to make it harder.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame