1. Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Platinum for Thermal mods.

Discussion in 'General FTB chat' started by Daihok, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Daihok

Daihok Guest

Has anyone found out how to obtain platinum from the thermal mods? I have yet to ever see any platinum ore. Do i need a mod that adds platinum or what?

2. Nuclear_Creeper0

Nuclear_Creeper0 Well-Known Member

I think you Pulverise Iridium ore to get Platinum dust?

3. Daihok

Daihok Guest

Yea but i havent even seen Iridium. It shows both ores in JEI but havent found either. I have done extensive branch mining even down to Y 1 flat bedrock.

4. ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Too Much Free Time

1) Check your CoFH World config file to determine if Platinum ore is set to spawn.

2) If not, don't worry. Pulverizing Nickel has a chance of producing a platinum as a bonus. Induction smelting with Cinnabar gives the best percentage. Secondary filter upgrades might also help.

Daihok and GamerwithnoGame like this.
  5. Cpt_gloval

Cpt_gloval Well-Known Member

Silk touch Redstone ore.
    Pulverize it to get 12 Redstone and 1 cinnabar.
    Induction smelt all nickel bore with a cinnabar to get 3 nickel and one platinum.

I usually then immediately grind the ingot, mix it with silver tin and ender for enderium.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    Daihok and GamerwithnoGame like this.
  6. GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame Forum Addict

I can't overemphasise how useful @Cpt_gloval's tip is here. When something is as hard to get as platinum can be, you want to make the most of what you can get - and a guaranteed platinum for every nickel ore (and cinnabar) is nothing to be sniffed at. Save up your cinnabar and use it for this - its worth it.

Likewise, if you DO find any platinum ore, you'll want to make the most of it - the pyro-concentrator augment for the Induction Smelter should (if memory serves) guarantee you one more ingot than you'd otherwise get - so in the case of cinnabar/rich slag smelting, instead of the usual 3 ingots of the main metal, you will get 4.

EDIT: Looking at the Team CoFH website, the drop rate of redstone may have gone down to 6 and a 25% of cinnabar with a pulveriser - though that doesn't count augments. Also (again from the website) @Daihok's experience isn't unusual - it looks like platinum ore may not be set to spawn in default configs.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    Daihok likes this.
  7. Cpt_gloval

Yes, I cannot remember the last time I mined a platinum/shiny ore, other then some nether ore spawning if you have that mod.

One of my 1st automatons is the afore mentioned setups. Sometimes before I setup auto processing of the rest of my ores.

Daihok likes this.
  8. Daihok

Daihok Guest

Sweet thanks again for the help guys. Found on reddit how to add the ore gen to config but think will leave it as intended to make it harder.

GamerwithnoGame likes this.
  9. Cpt_gloval

Once you really get going, you will be rolling in platinum/Enderium.

Daihok likes this.
  10. APEX_gaming

APEX_gaming Active Member

In my beyond world, I found an obsidian capsule filled with shiny and irridium ore

GamerwithnoGame likes this.