Pipes. Again.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Ok, I'm sure I've asked about people's favorite item pipes before, but I feel like things have changed enough to ask again (specifically in 1.12 at that). Not to mention I have a ton more experience now and will actually understand what people are saying now.

So, I'm trying to keep lag to a minimum, so I had been using ExU2 pipes which don't even register as anything when I do a lag scanner. Problem is, they're not nearly fast enough. I used to be able to throw in a few speed upgrades and a stack upgrade and it'll work just fine, but the stack upgrades seem to be capped at 4 items per carry now. Perhaps I'm the dummy here doing something wrong though.

Thermal dynamics pipes are fun and all. And they're great for almost a decoration, but they're also not super fast until you get to the higher tiers and for longer distance travel, they're a total waste. I love seeing the items flow through, don't get me wrong, but those are for a small processing room to make it look cool, that's about it.

Specifically, the straw that broke the camel's back this morning is me bringing an RFTools builder into the nether to get some stuff. I have some nether enhancement mod out there that makes some new biomes, creating some extra nether junk to destroy. I can blacklist the regular nether, but not this stuff, so I'm trying to pump it out as fast as it's coming in (I'm carrying in vibrant capacitors, dumping all that RF at once).

If I'm pulling that junk out 4 pieces at a time, I may as well just fly around and manually mine. How do I empty that crate faster?

Reactions: Shadrack_Orbion_777

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
So, the way speed upgrades work now is that the more advanced versions can stack higher. As far as I'm aware, that's it. They may also operate faster per upgrade, but I believe that its simply a numbers game. So: the Magical speed upgrade can stack up to 16, and requires; the Ultimate speed upgrade can stack up to 64. Here's the kicker: the Magical speed upgrade needs 4 enchanted ingots, 4 magical apples and a speed upgrade. Did I say that was the kicker? My mistake. Here's the kicker: the Ultimate speed upgrade needs 4 Evil Infused Iron Ingots, and 4 Drop of Evil, around a Magical upgrade.

The Evil Infused ingots need 1 nether star per 8 ingots. So a stack of 64 would cost you 32 nether stars.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Yeah. That is definitely why I have no bothered to go beyond the standard 4 - cap, lol, that's just craziness! Not to mention the GP costs, and with GP being slightly less plentiful than before (though, this isn't really that much of a concern given how easily you can scale up a group of water mills, or whatever)

Though, maybe I just shouldn't be stubborn. If they changed the recipe, they changed the recipe and I can just go with it. But there doesn't seem to be a magical upgrade for the stack upgrade though? I'm pretty sure I used to be able to move a whole stack at a time before.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
You could go with opaque item ducts from thermal, it's the servos you need to look into.. higher tier = more blocks per extraction tick. Pipe wise, until you get into warp ducts.. /shrug?

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
The only problem with that is that I don't really have much interest in going that far down the thermal rabbit hole at this time. That's quite a bit of work, and that's not what this pack is about. I'm looking for something simpler.

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
IMO the EnderIO item conduits are the apex of item pipes. They have input/output interfaces on both ends and most importantly (to me) is that all EIO pipes fit into the same block (item, energy, fluid) so I dont have to run mountains of conduit everywhere. Dimensional transceivers are another nice selection. Item, energy, and fluid transmission from point A to B without any conduits at all. I can't say for sure what impact they have on lag though.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
You know, I kinda forgot about those. I will have to check that out to see if they're any faster than ExU2, too. That might be perfect.

Reactions: Reddis

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
You know, I kinda forgot about those. I will have to check that out to see if they're any faster than ExU2, too. That might be perfect.

I thought you wanted to avoid the rabbit hole..... (grumbles about the new EnderIO crafting components) :p

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
haha, yeah! The *only* reason I'm ok with that is I'm already 3/4 of the way down that rabbit hole already :p

But you ain't lyin. the new EnderIO is way more expensive than before. But, that's kind of fitting because it was super OP before. Now, I tihnk it kind of sits nicely just under Draconic Evolution. It's expensive, but it's kind of perfectly positioned in my little "cliche" pack.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I believe this is a situation in which the only wining move is not to play.

In this case, that means not bothering with pipes at all. Trash can with filter set to only accept junk items directly adjacent. Then the rest can be safely handled. To my knowledge, the trash can has no maximum throughput. Set up whitelist with your trash items, and bob's your uncle.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Wait, are you saying that the trash can auto-imports? I think I was using ExU2 (?) trash chest, but I imagine we're still talking about roughly the same thing.

Honestly, that never even occurred to me, lol.

They let me go free in an hour, I'll test it. I'm gonna feel so dumb for not trying it if it works, lol

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Wait, are you saying that the trash can auto-imports? I think I was using ExU2 (?) trash chest, but I imagine we're still talking about roughly the same thing.

Honestly, that never even occurred to me, lol.

They let me go free in an hour, I'll test it. I'm gonna feel so dumb for not trying it if it works, lol
RFTools Builder auto-exports, at least last I checked. Otherwise I'm going to be the one who is going to feel dumb.

Alternately, there's a couple of different ways to do mining that involve exporting to adjacent inventories that can work instead of the Builder.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Oh, yes, lol.

Ok, the rftools builder does auto eject both top and bottom. I could put a trash can on top (it seems to favor the top first) with that filter and a crate at the bottom fir the rest. That might just do it!

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
While I like EnderIO, you can actually do a lot with Thermal Pipes without going too deeply into the mod. Basic servos aren't fast but will get the job done. If you have IE, you can make Invar and Electrum in the Alloy Kiln.

That said, my favorite pipe to use is the Immersive engineering conveyor. In it's covered mode in particular. It even has an extracting conveyor now.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Just re the stack upgrade, there is no upgrade to that because you can only place one in a node - once its placed, it moves items by the stack.

Reactions: KingTriaxx

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
It's not moving a stack at a time, though. I'm pretty sure it used to, but now it definitely doesn't. It's pulling 4 at a time.

I never really played around with enderio pipes before, though, so that's why I'm going to mess with those for a bit. They're pretty similar to exu2, too, just don't have to use an item node. It was pulling about as fast as an upgraded item node, too, but without any upgrades.

Though, enderIO gets all the praise for their pipes being able to all go in the same spot, but ExU2 goes a step deeper and just lets you run everything off the same pipe. It's still by far the cheapest way to do it. I might still go back to thrj at some point, but not uhtil after I've gotten all of enderIO's quirks.

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
I used to think that the developer completely ruined EnderIO with the new dyes, but I've come to think of it as a change to "basic automation." By adding a couple minor things to your initial "farm automation" like cactus and rice, you are all set for EnderIO. You of course need a sag mill, but presumably you will have that already.

I'd also like to add that once you have the advanced alloy smelter and sag mill.. holy cow! They are FAST! The only real complaint I have about EIO now is that the advanced machines are 1 1/2 sized blocks. I really hate that.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I gotta tell ya, I tried to avoid EnderIO entirely this time around because I thought it was kind of OP before, but the only reason I even started in on it was because I needed some brown dye and I could not for the life of me find a damn jungle. I needed one brown wool to upgrade my builder's hut for minecolonies. I would have been out there pulling my hair out (what's left of it anyway) trying to find a jungle just for a stupid piece of brown wool.

But, man, I really like where EnderIO is right now. Specifically, I used to think the real problem with them was the Alloy Smelter and the SAG Mills just being way too OP, but now that they separated them into basic and advanced categories, the recipes for the higher end versions totally justify their power. It just fits so perfectly now.

I feel like my pack is essentially what vanilla modded minecraft would be. And those older mods just work so well together these days.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I used to think that the developer completely ruined EnderIO with the new dyes, but I've come to think of it as a change to "basic automation." By adding a couple minor things to your initial "farm automation" like cactus and rice, you are all set for EnderIO. You of course need a sag mill, but presumably you will have that already.

I'd also like to add that once you have the advanced alloy smelter and sag mill.. holy cow! They are FAST! The only real complaint I have about EIO now is that the advanced machines are 1 1/2 sized blocks. I really hate that.
Wait, there's advanced versions too??