Piles of junk on my desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eykar

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sure you know about the 2 files and 1 folder that fill up my desktop when you run it.. Please get rid of them. When, ever, did anyone think it was a good idea to store local files in the same folder as it is run from, it still fills it up if i use a short cut. Genuinely not using this mod pack until this crap goes away.

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
It remembers the first place you installed it from. Go under Options and change the Install folder setting to whatever you want, delete that stuff from your desktop, and relaunch. It'll install itself in the proper folder.

Kungfubuddah

Jul 29, 2019
How exactly does three icons equal filling up your desktop? And why so much hate for a launcher that eliminates having thirty seven mod downloads on your precious desktop?

INCSlayer

Nov 17, 2012
Why doesn't it install it in the appdata folder like minecraft?
probably because appdata is a hidden folder and its kinda a pain to use it i moved mine into my dropbox folder so it syncs across my other computers

How exactly does three icons equal filling up your desktop? And why so much hate for a launcher that eliminates having thirty seven mod downloads on your precious desktop?
maybe he is using a screen resolution of 640x480

Eykar

Jul 29, 2019
Because i like having a clean desktop, not a mess.
probably because appdata is a hidden folder and its kinda a pain to use it i moved mine into my dropbox folder so it syncs across my other computers
Exactly, it's a hidden folder which i never need to look at

INCSlayer

Nov 17, 2012
if you dont like icons on your desktop just right click it go to view and unmark "show desktop icons" TADA now you will never have to care about icons on your desktop EVER

Eykar

Jul 29, 2019
if you dont like icons on your desktop just right click it go to view and unmark "show desktop icons" TADA now you will never have to care about icons on your desktop EVER
Bad troll detected, i like having some icons so i can start programs i like to start ie. FTB Launcher, as opposed to FTBLauncherLog.txt

INCSlayer

Nov 17, 2012
not liking my solution to your problem does not make me a troll you could also just have changed the path in the launcher but no YOU decided to go to the forums and whine about it that was the decision YOU took and then your gonna get to live with people responding to it

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
Moving away from the belligerent, all-too-personal responses...

The app is an app, not really an installer. They probably should make it more abundantly clear to not run the .exe/.jar directly on the desktop, but there's a learning curve associated with any product release on what to expect the customer to already know and it appears this is part of it. Whether through some more complete install directions, or the implementation of an installer as the download, this could be alleviated in some way, yes.

I personally dropped mine into its own folder and made a shortcut to it there, but I've also been using a keyboard since before I could write letters, so I may be an outlier in being computer savvy and knowing instinctively to do that.

Reactions: INCSlayer

Eykar

Jul 29, 2019
not liking my solution to your problem does not make me a troll you could also just have changed the path in the launcher but no YOU decided to go to the forums and whine about it that was deciscion YOU took and then your gonna get to live with people responding
Was what you said a serious suggestion? No.
Therefore, are you trolling? Yes.

I didn't know you could change the path of the launcher, i do now, and am now suggesting that the developer of the mod change it to be inline with minecraft, every other minecraft mod and every other game ever invented.. Not once have i installed something and it dumped everything in the folder i ran the installer from, all the files are put in sensible places, be it the program files folder or the appdata folder.

INCSlayer

Nov 17, 2012
as Vauthil said its not a installer its a program in its own right and you wanted the icons to not show on your desktop my solution did that specific thing as i said the fact that you did not LIKE the solution does not make it any less of a serious answer i also noticed that you registered today so let me ask you this did you register ONLY to complain about this thing or was your intention to actually become a productive member of this forum

Eykar

Jul 29, 2019
as Vauthil said its not a installer its a program in its own right and you wanted the icons to not show on your desktop my solution did that specific thing as i said the fact that you did not LIKE the solution does not make it any less of a serious answer i also noticed that you registered today so let me ask you this did you register ONLY to complain about this thing or was your intention to actually become a productive member of this forum
Yes i did actually register to complain about it because the issue was burning a hole in my head. It is an installer in the same way minecraft.exe is an installer ¬¬ it does the same task, but in a far less user friendly or intuitive way. If you disagree give me some examples of other popular programs which do this.

Matthew Taylor

Jul 29, 2019
Was what you said a serious suggestion? No.
Therefore, are you trolling? Yes.

I didn't know you could change the path of the launcher, i do now, and am now suggesting that the developer of the mod change it to be inline with minecraft, every other minecraft mod and every other game ever invented.. Not once have i installed something and it dumped everything in the folder i ran the installer from, all the files are put in sensible places, be it the program files folder or the appdata folder.

so that means you didnt look at the launcher

Reactions: INCSlayer

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
It's admittedly an oversight in design/communication. The suggestion is made (although note: this and future input about the Launcher's functionality should go into the Launcher Feedback forum, this has nothing to do with any of the mod packs themselves per se; I've already flagged this so a friendly moderator can relocate it for you, but you may want to note that for the future). How the Launcher Team decides to address it -- if they decide to do so -- is something we'll have to wait for word from them on.

As a side note, running even some installers from desktop have resulted in some horrible folder-spawning messes for me in the past. It's a general rule of thumb (that I occasionally ignore at my own peril) to not throw executables directly into your desktop, but to drop them into a "Downloads" or other such folder. But that's just me, I generally assume too much about people's computing habits and what's obvious (considering I still cringe every time I see my mother go to Google and search for Facebook every time she logs in rather than just going to the domain directly).

Reactions: beringtom

Eykar

Jul 29, 2019
It's admittedly an oversight in design/communication. The suggestion is made (although note: this and future input about the Launcher's functionality should go into the Launcher Feedback forum, this has nothing to do with any of the mod packs themselves per se; I've already flagged this so a friendly moderator can relocate it for you, but you may want to note that for the future). How the Launcher Team decides to address it -- if they decide to do so -- is something we'll have to wait for word from them on.

As a side note, running even some installers from desktop have resulted in some horrible folder-spawning messes for me in the past. It's a general rule of thumb (that I occasionally ignore at my own peril) to not throw executables directly into your desktop, but to drop them into a "Downloads" or other such folder. But that's just me, I generally assume too much about people's computing habits and what's obvious (considering I still cringe every time I see my mother go to Google and search for Facebook every time she logs in rather than just going to the domain directly).
Thank you for a sensible reply, and yes i do normally run installers from the downloads folder but i thought that the ftb launcher would work the same way as the minecraft one, which it didn't :/

Status
Not open for further replies.