Solved Performance Loss Moving to Resurrection 1.7

DrDurandal

Jul 29, 2019
Server specifications:

Hardware: Amazon EC2 M3.medium instance
vCPUs: 1
RAM : 3.75 gb
Disks: 1x8gb minecraft partition (~100 IOPS)

Old server:
Minecraft ver: 1.6.4
Mod pack: FTB Monster (default) 1.1.1
start script: java -server -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -Xms2048m -Xmx3072m -XX:permSize=512m -jar FTBServer-1.6.4-965.jar nogui

New server:
Minecraft ver: 1.7.10
Mod pack: FTB Resurrection (default) 1.0.0
start script: java -d64 -server -Xms1548M -Xmx3072M -XX:permSize=512M -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalPacing -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled -XX:parallelGCThreads=2 -XX:MinHeapFreeRatio=5 -XX:MaxHeapFreeRatio=10 -jar FTBServer-1.7.10-1263.jar nogui

Both servers are installed in the same location. Each was run in turn, with performance measured with 2 players logged in. Both have identical server.property files.

Discrepancies in the start.sh script are, I believe, what come with the pack by default (excepting the memory allocation change).

Monster experienced no appreciable lag in game. On first loading the world and logging in, a single "Cannot keep up" message was displayed.

Resurrection experienced moderate to severe lag in game. Multiple disconnects with more than 1 player in world. Cannot keep up messages were frequently displayed, even when not loading new chunks. OPIS is part of this pack, but was unable to determine the cause using it. (no excessive entities, loaded chunks) When a new player joins, current player(s) are frequently disconnected.

----------------------
How can I improve performance on Resurrection?

I'm open to suggestions - Resurrection looks like a great pack and I'm excited to host it, but at the moment it is completely unplayable on the same server I had Monster running smoothly on.

DrDurandal

Jul 29, 2019
Next round of testing, I am changing the java opts for Resurrection to match those used for Monster and we'll see what that gets us...

EDIT - Results:
Got us nothing, still seeing the same performance issues, even with just one player logged in...

Last edited:

DrDurandal

Jul 29, 2019
So, in the end, I threw hardware at the problem. Upgrading the system to a physical box with more CPU power made it stable with 3 players (no more server lag messages).

Bottom line: FTB Resurrection requires more system resources than Monster, so plan accordingly.