Performance Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

diegokilla

Jul 29, 2019
So after joining a friend's server that is hosted in the netherlands, and gettin 100+ smooth FPS I realized that my SSP experience is nowhere near as good as it should be. In SSP I get 30-90 FPS. It jumps around quite a bit, even when not moving around much (not generating chunks or having complex systems running, basically a fresh world). Due to the fact that I am visually noticing a difference between 60+ and 100+ fps, I believe that it is skipping frames every second or so. So I began to think that perhaps it was an issue with threads or something along those lines. I'm not the most tech savvy guy so forgive me if I'm completely wrong in this regard. Anyways, I booted up my own server and let it load, hopped in and same issue, <100 fps that seems to stutter every second or so.
Here's my basic specs:
core i7 (first gen :( )
GTX 480
12G ram
60G SSD
I play windowed @1920x1080
Any thoughts on this issue are greatly appreciated.
-diego

Lordnova

Jul 29, 2019
How much RAM do you have allocated under Options? Default is 1 so you can increase it to 4-8 and it should improve your fps.

diegokilla

Jul 29, 2019
You're talking about in the FTB launcher options? I had 2G, trying 4 now[DOUBLEPOST=1366978530][/DOUBLEPOST]Nah, still kinda jittery

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
How much RAM do you have allocated under Options? Default is 1 so you can increase it to 4-8 and it should improve your fps.
You should never need more than 2-3 GB of RAM. If you do, something's probably wrong. Allocating too much RAM can actually destabilise your system more than helping.

Is Minecraft running with your graphics card?

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Also, keep in mind that when you are running a SSP game the server and your minecraft client are running on the same machine. Do you have another machine you can offload the server portion to? It is fairly easy to copy your world data to server.

Booker The Geek

Feb 26, 2013
Pacific North West, USA
Snippity Snip snip....
Any thoughts on this issue are greatly appreciated.

Yes... I have thoughts....
  • When playing SMP on a remote host (Not the machine your actually playing on), all the client (You) has to do is draw the world, the server does all the math.
  • When playing SSP, you have to both create the world AND draw it. Which is harder to do, so it take longer.
  • When playing SMP on a server, AND playing on the server (Both on the same computer) you will most likely notice worse frame rates.
  • Never ever should need more then 2-3 gigs, Ever. (I think my run 2.5 with SSP, and I have about 9ish maxed out chunk loaders.... )
    • I just realized I'm loading about 3250 chunks, in 4 diminsions.... wow..
  • Is Java updated?
  • I have other thoughts, but you said on this issue... ;)

Reactions: diegokilla

diegokilla

Jul 29, 2019
Also, keep in mind that when you are running a SSP game the server and your minecraft client are running on the same machine. Do you have another machine you can offload the server portion to? It is fairly easy to copy your world data to server.
Yes, but my new "router/modem" combo that my ISP gave me is complete garbage. It is not friendly to networking stuff, and no matter how many times I try to forward ports, it just doesn't open them. I''m quite familiar with servers and how to operate them, as I hosted a MC server for a little over a year.
Yes... I have thoughts....
  • When playing SMP on a remote host (Not the machine your actually playing on), all the client (You) has to do is draw the world, the server does all the math.
  • When playing SSP, you have to both create the world AND draw it. Which is harder to do, so it take longer.
  • When playing SMP on a server, AND playing on the server (Both on the same computer) you will most likely notice worse frame rates.
  • Never ever should need more then 2-3 gigs, Ever. (I think my run 2.5 with SSP, and I have about 9ish maxed out chunk loaders.... )
    • I just realized I'm loading about 3250 chunks, in 4 diminsions.... wow..
  • Is Java updated?
  • I have other thoughts, but you said on this issue... ;)

I just updated java a couple days ago. The reasoning for trying to play on the server I was running locally, was the hopes that perhaps they would use different cores/threads.... different parts of the CPU, but I don't believe that the CPU is the issue at this point.

Thank you both for the input, but the problem still persists :(

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Your main complaint is that SSP has less FPS than running SMP on your friends server. That makes sense. In SSP your computer is running both server and the client so it has to do twice the amount of work. When connecting to your friends server you have removed 1/2 of your processing load to the dedicated server. So your FPS goes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.