Peoples Favorite Starting Routines on a new server/world

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
If you're looking for a way to extend (and make more difficult) the early-game, try MagicFarm2. It's built around IguanaTweaks, HungerOverhaul, and InfernalMobs, all of which make the early game much more difficult/longer. Even mid and late-game, you cannot ignore food needs and you will run into mobs that will hand you your arse if you're not careful. The modpack gives you ways to improve your food, weapons, armor, and technology, but none are easy or quick.
I might do just that. Generally I want the tech stuff: the big multiblock machines, the impossible resource gathering (like making a whole plant which turns redstone into ruby dust or whatever craziness that was), that sort of thing. Ultimately though I just want the challenge and I keep hearing that MagicFarm2 provides it.

Reactions: MigukNamja

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I might do just that. Generally I want the tech stuff: the big multiblock machines, the impossible resource gathering (like making a whole plant which turns redstone into ruby dust or whatever craziness that was), that sort of thing. Ultimately though I just want the challenge and I keep hearing that MagicFarm2 provides it.

Use the config files zipped up in the HARD mode for a true challenge.

Heh heh heh

*laughs evilly*

Even the default config package provides a nice challenge and, seriously, try the default configs first.

Reactions: Pyure

DanteGalileo

Jul 29, 2019
I usually only play singleplayer with just one content mod, two if they go together really well like BC and Railcraft or Forestry or Thaumcraft with Thaumic Tinkerer. I do use lots of utility mods like WAILA, Inventory Tweaks, Iron Chests, etc....

So really every game's start is pretty different besides the requisite punching wood.

Currently my only content mod is Witchery. Once I die the next will likely be RotaryCraft which I have never touched before.

I do probably spend too much time on aesthetics, though.

Reactions: MigukNamja

Zexks

Jul 29, 2019
What pack are you using with gregtech? If you've managed to incorporate a recent version of GT into a pack, I wanna do whatever it is you're doing. I assume you're not doing that in the same world as your TiCo game :p :p

What on earth is a mattock good for? I tend to beeline for hammer which is just so win.

It's a custom pack (230ish mods so far) in the vanilla launcher, basically took all of Monster, Horizon, Resonant Rise, Magic Farm, and a smattering of singular mods (Mo'Creatures all the UE mods) and mixed them all in the same world. Took almost 2 solid ('solid' as in a couple hours a night 4 or 5 nights a week) months of tweaking to get through all the conflicts and I'm still worried about Galacticraft and Bloodmagic being together, heard they don't play well together, but haven't gotten into either yet so not sure. Greg and TiCo seem to play just fine together, I just can't ask either for help with issues I see in my world (I could but they've both said they won't support a world with the other mod installed so I'm on my own there). Mattocks are great for early farming, shovel, axe and hoe in one. Note the shovel aspect only seems to work on dirt, not so much for sand and gravel. Personally the greatest starting tool in the game. That along with a pick are pretty much all you need to get your food and shelter going in the early game.

Reactions: Pyure

Jeremuz

Jul 29, 2019
Is that a Natura Redwood or one of those weeds that grow in certain biomes? :D

My first order of business on any new world is to find a 13 block diameter Natura redwood to live in. Using the center block as my ladder support I dig a shaft down to about level 40, then 4 rooms, each at the 4 compass points. 1 is my farm, another is my smelter. The 3rd is my Ore berry room and the 4th for machines and/or magic, whatever I start first. If I need more room I can go either up or down a level, depending on the water table.

I usually end up with a lost mine directly beneath the tree at some point, or at least a chasm leading to one. I also start my turtle excavations at level 40 to avoid destroying the surface.

A natura redwood, and there are actually 3 or 4 around, as well as a huge raspberry bush and a blueberry bush. Clay is due west in the river, and a huge crevice is down below a stone patch on the plains.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Redius

Jul 29, 2019
I'm still worried about Galacticraft and Bloodmagic being together, heard they don't play well together, but haven't gotten into either yet so not sure.

Just a warning, you've heard right. They do NOT play well together...to the tune of crashing/corrupting worlds.

WayofTime, on 06 December 2013 - 12:00 PM, said:
Well, the thing is I don't think there is anything I really COULD touch for that to happen. It really appears to be a phantom glitch, and by that I mean that in a perfect world such an interaction wouldn't be happening. Unless Galacticraft changes base-minecraft methods, which would cause more issues than just on my end, I'd have to dig a bit deeper.

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
I did this on a server once. TBH it was just the exact same thing with extra loot. It's no different to starting in a different biome.

Well, the TF is an adventure mod, to make things different, you should make it a rule to acquire stuff through adventuring.
  • So instead of mining at y=12 you conquer a hallow hill. It is a different way to approach early manual ore gathering.
  • Instead of starting a farm, you hunt. Because it is a different dimension and you'll build your real base in the overworld with different animals, you can hunt for food your whole stay and extend that aspect of the first-day gameplay.
  • You can use beds, but nothing really encourages you to do so. The surface of the TF is subtly different, in that hostile mobs appear infrequent enough to call the place mostly safe for players with starter gear, but more frequent than daytime overworld, so you need to fight them off. But there is no real day-night cycle so you don't have to worry about night time trouble.
Basically, the TF is much more of a constant battle, but not so much that it makes surviving difficult. The TF encourages adventure while the overworld encourages building a base with farms and staying close to home to sleep the night away.

What is different is that your main way to gather resources is from conquest and adventure, and not from ore doubling tech, farming and automation.

Of course once you start building some ore processing beyond a small manual TiC smeltery you get back to the usual routine. But you can delay that phase much more easily in the TF than in the overworld.

In any event, an other big reason to start with the TF, is that it is the best way to make use of that mod in the first place. Once you have a power suit, you no longer have a real reason to go there except just for the site seeing.

QuantumCookies

Jul 29, 2019
I dig a hole in a cliff, then just expand up, down, and back as I need space. I try to make it as nice-looking and organized as possible; e.g. no exposed stone, easy to find your way around, looks good from outside, etc.

I usually start with IC2 from habit (I used to play a ton of Tekkit) then work my way into more complex Forestry and TE, setting up quarries and mines everywhere. I haven't really played with GregTech yet, but it looks fun and challenging.

I use lava and solar power mostly, until I can afford a nuclear reactor and upgraded solar panels. Usually works fine.