Pebble Bed Setup?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Dezz

Jul 13, 2013
Are there any really good pebble bed setups that you guys could give me?

I have the basic idea of how to run a pebble bed reactor and can set one up, but is there a more efficient way of doing this?

Also, how would one automate the CO2 production from the furnace?

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
Well first, have you seen http://lisimba.org/minecraft/howto_beginner_reactor/howto.html ? It's an awesome guide which I've used to build mine, has some notes on efficiency as well.
Two things I've discovered, personally, though:
1. You don't need much CO2. If you're using RoC pipes, 2-3 buckets per pipe segment, no more, otherwise it'll jam up at the heat exchanger. For automation of CO2 production, just pipe charcoal+logs into the furnace, loop it back onto itself so it uses the charcoal it creates, and make a pipe from the top of the collector to your storage medium.
2. It may have been fixed in later versions but in Monster 1.1.2, Ammonia isn't usable - it goes into the steam boilers, heats up, and.....vanishes.

Here's my current setup, nothing big:
2014-06-23_20.13.30.png
2014-06-23_20.14.33.png

It's a relatively simple 4-core with a closed-CO2 loop, goes to heat exchanger with 3 steam boilers attached. Generates enough steam in a snow biome to run two turbines. I plan to use it to power the infrastructure for my fusion reactor (under construction, located outside), currently it just runs the extractor and a couple mining lasers. Fuel is autocrafted on demand in the first basement and supplied via the LPs, waste goes into the ME system in the background. The blocks around the boilers are actually unnecessary, but it looks cleaner with them there IMO.

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
i have an 8 core setup (just your setup, stacked) running two heat exchangers and 4 groups of 6 boilers for 4 turbines (with some steam buildup), or one HP (since this version of monster is before reika put a minimum steam input level on the HP) for about 750K RF/t. if I use ammonia in the normal turbines, I can double that amount.
now my problem is simply MOVING that much power.
using the 750K figure,a top tier ender IO cable will move ~20K, so that's 38 connection points, or 6 tesseracts and 2 faces of a 7th.

and those blocks around the boiler (if you mean the steel ones) are necessary, as those lose heat to the air along with the reactor pieces.
so for best efficiency, make sure you have something on every face.

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, oddly enough I haven't noticed any change in temp with or without the boiler-bordering blocks. maybe it's because I'm in a cold biome so the base temp is low to start with. With or without it always fluctuates around 96-104, but still keeps output consistent.

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, oddly enough I haven't noticed any change in temp with or without the boiler-bordering blocks. maybe it's because I'm in a cold biome so the base temp is low to start with. With or without it always fluctuates around 96-104, but still keeps output consistent.
its more noticeable if you have more boilers not in direct contact with the exchanger.
and its not generally enough to push you below a productive value, but CAN be used to keep things from blowing apart.

for example, mine is arranged as such:
AXXAXXA
XBBXBBX
XBBEBBX
XBBXBBX
AXXAXXA
B boiler
X block
E exchanger
A air.

of the 12 boilers, only two are in contact with the exchanger, 6 are in contact with those, and 4 are at the corners, with heat having to travel two blocks from the exchanger to reach them.