PC build for £500

LJWadd

Jul 29, 2019
I've been playing minecraft on Xbox 360 for a while now. It's fun, but I think it's time I tried out the PC version, it seems there's so much more you can do with all the mods and servers. I've seen a few youtubers play the FTB mod packs and it looks like a lot of fun, the only problem is that I don't have a computer that can run vanilla minecraft, nevermind all the mods I would want to play. So I've decided to take on the daunting task of building my own PC. I've done a few hours of research into the various parts needed to build a PC and seen many posts like this one but there is constantly new technology being released, meaning there is so many different opinions on what brands of components are best. I have a budget of £500 (I believe that's around $800) and for that price I would be looking for the PC itself, a monitor, a keyboard and a mouse. I may dabble a bit in recording and uploading to YouTube so would be looking for a decent frame rate for that (around 30fps while recording). I'd like a fast processor as I quite like building complex, efficient farms for mobs (like gold and iron farms). All help is appreciated but a parts list from PCpartpicker would be excellent, thanks.

LJWadd

Jul 29, 2019
It will be mainly for minecraft, browsing the Internet, assignments for school etc.

Jus2beast

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, just search for 500 pound builds on that website, I was checking it out few days back and seen a few good ones for <500£

LJWadd

Jul 29, 2019
I've tried that, but I don't really know what builds could be defined as 'good'. I know that you need a balanced machine, so I don't know if some of the builds on that website will be unbalanced. After all, some of the builds on that website could be made by people like me, who know very little about PC's. I guess I'm just scared of spending £500 on a PC to find out it can't run smoothly because half the budget has gone into a water cooler or something like that.

Talsek

Jul 29, 2019
do you need to upgrade in the future? or is this just a standalone machine?

id suggest u want for the release of broadwell later this year and see how prices drop.
also,do you need the operating system?windows?

this below build is if you dont need to upgrade the cpu to a future platform.

u can cut back a bit,i just went for a slightly nicer case because the budget couldnt fit in any more hardware upgrades : http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3R8Di

you can however bump it up to a 8 core if you really cut back on the case/ram/hard drive.

LJWadd

Jul 29, 2019
The only reason I'd need to upgrade it was if it broke, I'm not too bothered about having the fastest PC with the best graphics, I just want the best for what my money can buy. I would want windows 7 and could probably stretch my max price to £550.

Talsek

Jul 29, 2019
The only reason I'd need to upgrade it was if it broke, I'm not too bothered about having the fastest PC with the best graphics, I just want the best for what my money can buy. I would want windows 7 and could probably stretch my max price to £550.

so im taking it you dont care about aesthetics?
is noise a issue?
overclocking?

put in a cpu cooler because am3 coolers are very loud,you should be good for some moderate overclocking. : http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3RsmP

LJWadd

Jul 29, 2019
I doubt I'll overclock it's I'm hoping it will last a few years. I'm not too bothered about aesthetics, more that it does the job well. Noise isn't too much of an issue, I can only imagine it bothering me if I'm AFKing.

Talsek

Jul 29, 2019
I doubt I'll overclock it's I'm hoping it will last a few years. I'm not too bothered about aesthetics, more that it does the job well. Noise isn't too much of an issue, I can only imagine it bothering me if I'm AFKing.

then just take out the cpu cooler.