Overrated/Underrated Mods and Modpacks

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Magicality is a mod centered around the use of ProjectE and creating EMC, specifically with the Transmutation Table.

Ores don't generate in this pack, farming is all you got. This goes for mod-ores too.
Energy Collectors don't have a recipe, nor do a few of the ProjectE items.
You have to farm up your materials to get anywhere.
Iron goes from 256 EMC to 2048, replacing Gold which takes Iron's EMC.

Look it up and educate thyself.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Magicality is a mod centered around the use of ProjectE and creating EMC, specifically with the Transmutation Table.

Ores don't generate in this pack, farming is all you got. This goes for mod-ores too.
Energy Collectors don't have a recipe, nor do a few of the ProjectE items.
You have to farm up your materials to get anywhere.
Iron goes from 256 EMC to 2048, replacing Gold which takes Iron's EMC.

Look it up and educate thyself.
*blinks*

That sounds pretty awesome :)

(I hope this comparison isn't accidentally insulting):

It's a bit like AgSkies being based around Ex Nihilo, or Running Red being based around Blood Magic, am I right?

I actually like the sound of that a lot! Plus I have fond Tekkit-based (sorry) memories of playing around with EE2, Redpower 2...

...and uninstalling Thaumcraft 2 because of a massive patch of taint that was going to take over my base WAY before I managed to get to the point where I could remove it :p

Anywaaaaay - sounds ace!

- GwnG

Reactions: Finvaara

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
I'm done with this for now as I don't want to turn this into flame[...]
Aren't you a bit late on that, considering you already took the "anybody who doesn't play in a way I approve is a filthy casual" approach to rhetoric?

I do appreciate the light bulb going off at all, though, but I recommend tempering your approach in the future because you're skating on very thin ice when you start throwing out subjective viewpoints as immutable facts and ticking off the rest of the folks in a given thread. That's the stuff that leads to slap fights and Warning points/forum vacations being awarded.

Thanks.

Zandorum

Jul 29, 2019
Interesting but not something I would personally like mainly because of Project E.

I have strong opinions about things, I however do not look down on people for using it I just don't think that they are playing legitimately. You play the way you want to play. Thats how I feel about Dark Souls, You play the Meta if you want but your kinda boring but you can play how you like but I don't have to agree with it. I don't really want a flame war, I don't intend to create one; as I said it's my opinion not a fact and everyone is different in how they perceive things.

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
I'd rather not, thanks. If It means rebalancing everything else to just make one thing balanced then it wasn't worth it.
It depends on what that one thing it is your talking about. Say what you will about EE and project E.. But it was an equalizer of sorts... It created one universal energy that could be obtained through any means. Flowers, milk, seeds, pumpkins... Anything that could be automated, was worth automating to some degree because it was all beneficial in the long run. More crazy farms with variations in how to obtain the best results with different bases for the resource to gather for emc. It's something that I felt was lacking in most packs in modded minecraft, and even with packs that did have it, I wasn't getting that same enjoyment that I had seeing milkers being designed.

While I know magicality's still got some work to be done, Project E is it's staple, it's the backbone holding the progression together. A modpack where ores don't spawn within the world and thus farming up any source of emc you can find is encouraged. The value's of iron, gold, and diamond have been rearranged based on the uses in the other staple mods aswell. Iron's cost being raised a fairly high due to how many uses it has.

Every piece of iron counts, becoming a foothold in the world and in the pack.. A hopper alone is a huge boon to having items automatically collecting over time. And i've seen interesting builds using modded methods I would never thought of, born due to project E playing as the backbone. Essentially the player had this machine taking advantage of the Thaumcrafts ore processing system using gold to transform into emerald nuggets. It wasn't obscenely fast and took some time to get on a roll, but eventually it snowballed.. It was an investment using mechanics that normally would have been glazed over. And It wasn't the only machine that caught my eye. There were a few botania based farms that used the advantages of using lenses for automation to save on the cost of iron.

One man's trash is another mans diamond mine, for he took the time to dig through the rough. And based on our feedback thus far, despite what you have said, those that have found the pack have proclaimed that they enjoyed the direction of the pack, that we had balanced project E.

Continue to keep your eyes closed if you wish, but it doesn't make your jabs at others playstyles anymore justified, and only blinds you from seeing the light of something positive.

Finvaara

Jul 29, 2019
Interesting but not something I would personally like mainly because of Project E.

I have strong opinions about things, I however do not look down on people for using it I just don't think that they are playing legitimately. You play the way you want to play. Thats how I feel about Dark Souls, You play the Meta if you want but your kinda boring but you can play how you like but I don't have to agree with it. I don't really want a flame war, I don't intend to create one; as I said it's my opinion not a fact and everyone is different in how they perceive things.

I'm not here to talk about the style of conversation you undertook, combative or otherwise.

You do, however, lay down a challenge that Succubism called. That you then immediately back down from that challenge is not only far from genuine, it's also entirely ungentlemanly. Further, as one of the hands that has been beating Magicality into shape with many hammers, I would be very interested to hear your perspective. Ideally after you've beaten the EnderDragon.

Zandorum

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not here to talk about the style of conversation you undertook, combative or otherwise.

You do, however, lay down a challenge that Succubism called. That you then immediately back down from that challenge is not only far from genuine, it's also entirely ungentlemanly. Further, as one of the hands that has been beating Magicality into shape with many hammers, I would be very interested to hear your perspective. Ideally after you've beaten the EnderDragon.
I just don't enjoy Project E, I feel like its just selling and buying things and I enjoy automating things to get my resources not just throwing things at a table and asking for what I want. It may just be me but I'd rather make a Logger and have it run slower than have a Condenser the goes faster. I feel fast in machines is fine but only if you put the work into it, Project E/EE2 to me personally has never felt very difficult not in Madpack not alone with Vanilla not put into random things or many other instances; You can hit Red Matter armor in an hour if you know your way around Project E/EE2 well enough. I understand that the pack is your labor of love and I appricate the work you have done but I just don't have fun with Project E; It's not a slight to you I just don't like the concept. I also didn't back down at all, at the very start I said that everyone has their own opinion, I stuck to my guns and I basically repeated what I had already said. I'm also sorry if I offended anyone this was never my intention.

If you really want I'll try it out and maybe it will be the exception but that's a very isolated instance.

Edit: Also I'd like to make it known that Succubism was rude from the start by telling me to shut up when I said nothing wrong. Yes I did say that people were casul's but it was more of a joke if anything; I was just saying that it is a trait of playing casually. Some instances seems like in your pack for example is another thing where it isn't casual play however it still seems like I still wouldn't like it because of how the buying and selling of items in Project E/EE2 feels to me.

Could we also move this to PM's please, I'd rather not derail this thread anymore than it already has been derailed.

Last edited:

Finvaara

Jul 29, 2019
Edit: Also I'd like to make it known that Succubism was rude from the start by telling me to shut up when I said nothing wrong.

Yeah, Succubism's blunt. I don't really feel like it's a character flaw, but I can see where it would come off as rude. Definitely let me know if you do try Magicality. The way you talk about building your farms and setting up your engines, I think you'll find that you really enjoy it. It might actually be just the pack for you.

Reactions: pc_assassin

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Also I'd like to make it known that Succubism was rude
You must be new here.

Yeah, Succubism's blunt. I don't really feel like it's a character flaw, but I can see where it would come off as rude.
I don't skirt around and I don't care for making sure feels aren't hurt.
Lucidity dies when you mediate or censor yourself.

You're big boys and girls now, I'm pretty sure you should be capable of handling Ms. Nasty on the Internet.

Zandorum

Jul 29, 2019
You must be new here.

I don't skirt around and I don't care for making sure feels aren't hurt.
Lucidity dies when you mediate or censor yourself.

You're big boys and girls now, I'm pretty sure you should be capable of handling Ms. Nasty on the Internet.
I'm not that new, I have just lurked alot more than I have posted. I lurked even before making this account, I know how you act. I can handle what you say and what you do but just because I can handle it doesn't mean it isn't rude; I don't censor myself either but I try to make it as polite as possible without abandoning what I believe in and what I'm trying to get across. You don't have to be rude to explain something to someone, It may be easier to but just because It's easy doesn't make it right.

This is my final post on this topic that is unrelated to the topic in hopes of rerailing it. If anyone wants to continue this conversation you can PM me, I will not respond to you if you write on this topic after this point to help rerail this.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
I will not respond to you if you write on this topic after this point to help rerail this.
Then let me finish this.
You were rude. You considered a way of playing to be lesser than yours simply because it's not yours and you chastise modpacks that not only feature but utilize and balance the mod that you despise so much without even doing your damn homework. Like a child, parroting the words of people who did the reading.

I said what every other person who saw you on your high horse was thinking because I ain't afraid of doing so. That's my act.

On topic... Go look at Magicality, people. It's underrated and frequently glanced over because of reasons just like this one. ^

http://www.atlauncher.com/pack/MagicalityTheNextDimension

I'm part of the dev team, a small part, but I think highly of it and the work put into it.

Last edited:

Zandorum

Jul 29, 2019
I'll look at it, I said I'd look at it, maybe I was a little rude and I apologize but I wan't trying to be though and I'm only replying because this is technically on topic.

A few more mods:
  • Mariculture - It seems that although its well known, people don't actually give it a chance; It's a really nice mod and I personally enjoy it. I may not enjoy the magic module too much or the naming of the enchantments but nothing's perfect.
  • Rougelike Dungeons - I enjoy this heavily, again well known but not many people will add it to their personal pack. I recommend putting the rarity to 30 (Note: The higher the number the rarer it is with this mod) to keep it a little more spread out. Also the dungeons are a little easy in modded if you don't install Infernal Mobs, and then It's difficult until about later Mid game but the fun of it is that you can run in there and get some nice loot early game but most likely will encounter an Infernal. Rougelike Dungeons do have the issue of being able to be Quarried and things of the like, I personally try to refrain from doing this but I might just make a personal mod (may release it if I get permission) that makes it gen a special version of the Stone Bricks and such that are as Indestructible as bedrock if within 30 blocks of a Mob Spawner but if broken or somehow gets into a players inventory it turns into the normal version of itself. If I don't release that just have a little self restraint and maybe don't put it on a Server.
  • Refined Relocation - Alot of people don't give this one a chance, it's really nice you should really check it out for yourself.
  • Randomite - A bit of an odd one, I don't always include it in my personal pack. It's kind of fun to find Randomite ore for the same reason its fun to play Slots, you don't know if your a winner or not. A little silly but that's never hurt anyone. This is a little shifty, I always have a changing opinion on whether or not I like it. Try it out for yourself see if you like it.
  • LegendGear 2 - I don't personally install this one but It's fun to mess around with, maybe check it out.
  • Potion Packs - A nice little mod, really nice for Bosses.

dylanpiera

Jul 29, 2019
So while reading to all the ontopic and even more offtopic posts, I've heared people talking about IC2

IC2 was my favorite mod with BC in the old day

Bc for me nowadays is just a mod that adds the structure pipes and the pulsar things
it doesn't add anything else what another mod doesn't
i still like the idea and such
but BC Pipes is outdated for
me

Ic2 is still a good mod, and works perfectly fine

there is one thing that keeps me away from it. EU.
Every mod uses RF
BC has MJ but they auto convert to RF/MJ

but there is no conduit, cable or pipe

(Except mekanisms one that 90% of the time doesn't work correctly for me)

That converts with EU

And because ic2's power is kinda limited (looking from a big reactor user perspective/ using stacks of overclockers in one machine)

so thats what i wanted to say about ic2

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Got to say, in contrast to the other tech mods, I find myself using ic2 a lot less and I think that's a trend for those who aren't GTing it up for the sake of that type of gameplay, which is understandable.

I wouldn't call it underrated though.

Kinnichi

Jul 29, 2019
Malisis Doors.

For those of you using carpenter's blocks and chisel regularly, consider Malisis' Doors in every one of your packs. Not only does it add a bunch of cool doors but it has a block mixer that looks amazing if you have fancy graphics on. I think it has a couple things kinda like a tinker's mechworks drawbridge too but that may be a different Malisis mod. It also has doors that actually swing open, which adds a really good immersion factor too. It's not a big mod so it should fit fairly easily into most any pack.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Malisis Doors.

For those of you using carpenter's blocks and chisel regularly, consider Malisis' Doors in every one of your packs. Not only does it add a bunch of cool doors but it has a block mixer that looks amazing if you have fancy graphics on. I think it has a couple things kinda like a tinker's mechworks drawbridge too but that may be a different Malisis mod. It also has doors that actually swing open, which adds a really good immersion factor too. It's not a big mod so it should fit fairly easily into most any pack.
-Kissu.- c:

Reactions: Yulife

dylanpiera

Jul 29, 2019
Malisis Doors.

I loved malisiss doors

only 1 problem
it has corupted 3 worlds of me

so thats my problem with it :\

Reactions: epidemia78