Overrated/Underrated Mods and Modpacks

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Underrated Mods:
  • Lava Monsters - Wanna make your Nether a little scarier, wanna make mining a little more dangerous, add this; Lots of fun.
  • Ridiculous World - This is a nice mod for any pack (I play vanilla only biomes so with this installed dropping its weight of all biomes to 2 is a recommended so you dont have colored vomit all over your world, I'm not saying the biomes aren't good but I AM saying that too much of a good thing can be bad).
  • Mimicry - This mod is very very strong and is very unbalancing but if you disable the recipe to make Mimichite and limit it's ore to generating in the End it feels a little less crazy.
  • Aether 2- Everyone seems to have stopped caring about this mod, It's compatible with most mods now and can be thrown into almost any pack. I use this in my personal pack however I had to make a personal mod to remove Continuum Ore since it is unbalancing in a modded environment (The ore can give any item in the game with no weight's meaning you are just as likely to get Planks as a you are to get a Awakened Ichorium Pickaxe).
  • Primitive Mobs - Alot of fun stuff in this mod, gotta tweak the drops in Minetweaker to keep them from being too good in Modded; Also Treasure slimes are a bit of an issue in that aspect as well but if you can figure out how to fit them into your personal or otherwise modpack they are a nice addition.
  • Automagy - People are starting to notice this one but still, its a very nice Thaumcraft addon and it adds a cheaper form of cables than Project Red which work just as good, lots of automation for Thaumcraft; It's alot of fun for us people who like automation. Now something being cheaper isn't a selling point but its not available from the start so it makes it balanced in my eyes (balanced against Project Red I mean).
  • Hardcore Ender Expansion - This is a very very nice addition to the End, it makes it worth something.
  • Mithril Mod - It's a nice addition to the End, It may seem at first glance like a steaming pile of excrement but then if you look at it a little bit longer, its kind of cool. I Minetweaker out the flute though. This is also compatible with Hardcore Ender Expansion as well so everyone wins.
Just out of interest, what do you find needs tweaking with Primitive Mobs drops?

Lyra_Chan

Jul 29, 2019
It's not easy, but I began work on it!
REMEMBER THE DUCK!!!!

Underrated Mods:
  • Lava Monsters - Wanna make your Nether a little scarier, wanna make mining a little more dangerous, add this; Lots of fun.
  • Ridiculous World - This is a nice mod for any pack (I play vanilla only biomes so with this installed dropping its weight of all biomes to 2 is a recommended so you dont have colored vomit all over your world, I'm not saying the biomes aren't good but I AM saying that too much of a good thing can be bad).
  • Mimicry - This mod is very very strong and is very unbalancing but if you disable the recipe to make Mimichite and limit it's ore to generating in the End it feels a little less crazy.
  • Aether 2- Everyone seems to have stopped caring about this mod, It's compatible with most mods now and can be thrown into almost any pack. I use this in my personal pack however I had to make a personal mod to remove Continuum Ore since it is unbalancing in a modded environment (The ore can give any item in the game with no weight's meaning you are just as likely to get Planks as a you are to get a Awakened Ichorium Pickaxe).
  • Primitive Mobs - Alot of fun stuff in this mod, gotta tweak the drops in Minetweaker to keep them from being too good in Modded; Also Treasure slimes are a bit of an issue in that aspect as well but if you can figure out how to fit them into your personal or otherwise modpack they are a nice addition.
  • Automagy - People are starting to notice this one but still, its a very nice Thaumcraft addon and it adds a cheaper form of cables than Project Red which work just as good, lots of automation for Thaumcraft; It's alot of fun for us people who like automation. Now something being cheaper isn't a selling point but its not available from the start so it makes it balanced in my eyes (balanced against Project Red I mean).
  • Hardcore Ender Expansion - This is a very very nice addition to the End, it makes it worth something.
  • Mithril Mod - It's a nice addition to the End, It may seem at first glance like a steaming pile of excrement but then if you look at it a little bit longer, its kind of cool. I Minetweaker out the flute though. This is also compatible with Hardcore Ender Expansion as well so everyone wins.
I use Hardcore Ender Expansion in my magic pack :3 And I love Aether 2~ I looked at Mimicry but I didn't end up using it because of Project E. (I know using Project E makes me bad person, but I am going to switch it out once EE3 adds more things)

Speaking of Project E, Why do people hate it so much? When Project: Red came out, no one complained, but when Project E comes out everyone gets butt hurt. I don't get it .-.

Reactions: RedBoss

Zandorum

Jul 29, 2019
Speaking of Project E, Why do people hate it so much? When Project: Red came out, no one complained, but when Project E comes out everyone gets butt hurt. I don't get it .-.
I think people didn't want EE2 back.

Just out of interest, what do you find needs tweaking with Primitive Mobs drops?
The following are the mobs what they make possible:
  • Treasure Slime - This mob can yield Slimeballs, Cookies, Ender Pearls, Glowstone Dust, Gold Ingots, Gunpowder, Iron Ingots, Redstone Dust, Blaze Powder, Lapis Lazuli, Snow Balls, Magma Cream, Cake, Diamonds, Emeralds, Golden Apples, Fire Charges, Eyes of Ender, Music Discs and Saddles. This means all of this is farmable just from this one creature.
  • Haunted Tool - If you make a mob farm this is a direct source for a majority of the vanilla tools. If you have Twilight Forest you can uncraft these, If you have Tinkers Construct it makes the uncrafting table extremely easy to use. This causes it to be a Iron, Gold and Diamond Farm.
  • Rocket Creeper - This makes TNT Farmable.
  • Festive Creeper - This makes Flint & Steel Farmable. Which in turn with the uncrafting table and tinkers construct's experience berry's its a Farm for Flint and Iron.
  • Support Creeper - This makes Fire Charges Farmable.
  • Bewitched Tome - This makes Enchanted Books Farmable.
So there's a few problems with this if its not limited to only dropping when a player kills it.

Reactions: Yulife

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, another small mod I like.

No more recipe conflicts.

Helps when you have mods that adds items that shares the same recipe.

Though I found that it only works with vanilla crafting table.

Reactions: Padfoote

Lyra_Chan

Jul 29, 2019
I think people didn't want EE2 back.
I don't think it was that. I remember Pahimar saying something about it and how he would quit modding if someone else made a perfect remake of EE2. He didn't (Thank the lords, we need more Canadian modder with seductively deep voices ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ) I also saw on twitter someone blindly hating it because of Pahimar. Personally, I am curious of what Pahimar thinks of the mod, whether he accepts it or not.

CuteTurret

Jul 29, 2019
I have to agree about the old mods topic, specially about IC2 (since its my favorite mod). It has changed a lot recently, the e-net was remade, and a heat based system, including reactors that outputs hot coolant :D were added, also a better ore processing system too. It does feels a bit GregTech-ish, plates for machines, wiremills, but it changed soo much in many other ways that is like having the fun of learning the mod again, and many people ignores that because they think its the same, overrated, slow-and-inefficient-compared-to-TE IC2 from 1.4.

Reactions: Padfoote

Lyra_Chan

Jul 29, 2019
http://www.curse.com/mc-mods/minecraft/224663-openmodularturrets
So I found this mod about an hour ago and I was playing with it and I must say, If you are looking for a replacement for ICBM turrets, this is the mod for you. Also I am surprised no one picked up this mod yet, especially the FTB team. It is well balanced and would be great on the servers. And if you are looking for a use for it in singleplayer, you could set them up around your base and you would never need to worry about mobs again ^-^ Also you could probably come up with some pretty awesome mob farms with this :3

Also to the classic mods, I never really got into modded minecraft till 1.5 even then, I was a really big into tech mods but I loved modpacks like Hexxit. I never really learned how tech mods worked till 1.6.4 and ever since, I was hooked :D I never really played classic IC2 and what not, but I played with the current IC2 and it is annoyingly repetitive early game and I never really liked that about it so I always preferred TE and Mekanism over IC2 personally. Also I remember playing Tekkit and Redpower was the crap ouo. the lighting was the best part about it at the time~ Now a days I am quite pleased with Project:Red alone. Project:Red added my favourite parts of Redpower back in Tekkit and to me, that is all that matters -w-

Last edited:

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
http://www.curse.com/mc-mods/minecraft/224663-openmodularturrets
So I found this mod about an hour ago and I was playing with it and I must say, If you are looking for a replacement for ICBM turrets, this is the mod for you. Also I am surprised no one picked up this mod yet, especially the FTB team. It is well balanced and would be great on the servers. And if you are looking for a use for it in singleplayer, you could set them up around your base and you would never need to worry about mobs again ^-^ Also you could probably come up with some pretty awesome mob farms with this :3
Yep, I've always been constantly looking for a ICBM turret replacement. While there are mods out there, none of them really ticked all the boxes for me (aka being "highly technical", needing power, needing ammo). It got mentioned on the FTB forums late last year, checked it out, and I was impressed. I've just minetweaked the recipes a little for my modpack.
What I love as well is you can have wall and ceiling mounted turrets. Just imagine the mini-death spheres you could build using a tesseract to supply power and ammo, with turrets on every face of the tesseract...
Not sure if they have frame support, but just imagine the horrors you could build *insert evil laugh...*

Reactions: PierceSG

Zandorum

Jul 29, 2019
It is also hated a lot by the community simply because of a deal Pahi made on Twitter.
I dislike it just as much now as I did when it was EE2. Well not exactly, the tech tree has expanded and because of this transmutation isn't as bad however do not say your not casually playing if you have it installed. If your actually playing you wouldn't have it installed, yes I just called you a casul. I will say however that I have it installed in mine, however I did remove the recipes (and from NEI so there's no confusion) for all forms of non Philosopher Stone Transmutation (Condensers, Gem of Eternal Density, Transmutation Tablet etc.), Made Covalence dust require the Philosophers Stone to make (It doesn't consume it) and the Philosophers stone on mine requires 4 Redstone Blocks, 4 Soul Fragments and 1 Nether Star to make so by the time I could make it, I would be producing more Iron, Gold and Diamond using other tactics than the Philosophers stone would; so it would become just an occasionally useful form of small time transmutation and be a nice portable crafting table. Oh and I also made the Volcanite Amulet require Red Matter instead of Dark Matter since Lava is worth significantly more than Water. Yes this means that Dark Matter and Etc. is Significantly harder to make. To counter act Red Matter armor and many other things I have a personal mod that may or may not be released that adds a creature than when it hits you it lowers your maximum health instead of doing damage (If you run out of hearts you die, this can kill you through all forms of Armor; Blood Armor, Quantum Armor, Red Matter Armor etc.). This means that you should raise your Maximum Health not lower it hence the Philosophers stone costing your defense to create (Note: The Mob lowers 2 hearts per hit and the hearts are only gone for 5 seconds however if it hits you again the timer resets making it go back to 5 seconds, only 1 Heart comes back every 5 seconds).

I will however say everyone can play the way they want to play and if you want to be casul be casul I wont stop you. Just don't tell me your good at modded because I wont believe you until you play it without it and prove it to me.

Last edited:

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I don't know whether they're underrated or overrated or not, but my personal faves are actually combinations of mods:

• Tinkers Construct with Iguana Tweaks (for TiCon)

- I think these make a great combination, especially early game. Combine those with Metallurgy and ExtraTiC, and a carefully thought out metal/tier progression and you're really onto something great.

• Pam's Harvestcraft with Hunger Overhaul (and optionally Spice of Life)

- I love the variety in Pam's; with HO, and especially SoL, food also means something again. I know it's not to everyone's taste, but I like the challenge and need to really explore the different food options Pam's gives you!

Zandorum

Jul 29, 2019
Don't say anything unless you know what you're talking about.

You don't.

Do your homework.
I'm done with this for now as I don't want to turn this into flame however I will say that I do not know what I am saying about the pack however every time I have seen Project E be in anything it's been very game breaking or too centered around Project E existing for my liking. I personally just don't think you should beable to turn Wood into Diamonds as easily as you can. Also the Transmutation table is an ultra cheap AE system almost and I also dislike that. I think its really just my personal opinion that it's not a balanced mod and that balancing around it shouldn't be a thing. It may just be me, I dont know but lets just agree everyone has different opinions on things and no one is right or wrong; each person perceives the world the way they want to and that's what makes people different and like different things.