Overrated/Underrated Mods and Modpacks

Lyra_Chan

Jul 29, 2019
Is it just me or are there a lot of mods and modpacks that needs more attention and a lot of mods and modpacks that are really that great but everyone else thinks it's the bees knees? Personally I think there are way too many mods that need some sort of recognition and some mods and modpacks that shouldn't be as popular as they are. What are you opinion on some mods or modpacks that are overrated and/or underrated?

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
My modpack!

Seriously though, there are so many mods and modpacks, that the only way certain mods/packs stand out is if popular youtubers start using them. It's all advertising. It doesn't mean the final product is any good, the advertising is driving it all.
There are plenty of hidden gems in mods and modpacks awaiting to be discovered, they just need unearthing.

Reactions: Yulife

Lyra_Chan

Jul 29, 2019
My modpack!

Seriously though, there are so many mods and modpacks, that the only way certain mods/packs stand out is if popular youtubers start using them. It's all advertising. It doesn't mean the final product is any good, the advertising is driving it all.
There are plenty of hidden gems in mods and modpacks awaiting to be discovered, they just need unearthing.

Oh yeah, I saw that in your sig. I will check it out. I have it on my FTB launcher and from the modlist, it looks dope :3

And go play BuildCraft.

Buildcraft is love, Buildcraft is life. A little bit overrated imo though, but a still an awesome mod :3

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I believe not, for many people BuildCraft is the same old pipe/quarry mod it was in the Tekkit days, but nowadays it's so much more! Robots.
I think (again) it's because of advertising. Yes, there robots, haven't a clue how/what/when/why though.
So, for me BC is still the same as 1.2.5 days. One day I'll finish playing with my mod pack and play the damn thing and tinker with all the mods :p

Lyra_Chan

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone else thing Orespawn and Pixelmon are slightly overrated? I mean Orespawn is a fun mod to play around with if you are really bored but I really don't like the textures. And the models are fantastic either. Pixelmon gets boring fast for me and it isn't like Pokemon in Minecraft wasn't a thing before. I don't know why people treat those mods like they are the only mods that existed ever.

Reactions: Jadedcat

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone else thing Orespawn and Pixelmon are slightly overrated? I mean Orespawn is a fun mod to play around with if you are really bored but I really don't like the textures. And the models are fantastic either. Pixelmon gets boring fast for me and it isn't like Pokemon in Minecraft wasn't a thing before. I don't know why people treat those mods like they are the only mods that existed ever.
People hate orespawn around here, pixelmon doesn't really get a lot of attention but I personally like it. Different strokes mate. :D

Schurf

Jul 29, 2019
It's the Microsoft problem. No matter how much you change, people still insist you're yesterday's news.
I have to agree. I sometimes get annoyed that so many people dislike/ignore mods like Buildcraft, IC2 and Railcraft just because they are 'old'.
Being somewhat complex, instead of being as simple as certain other mods, does not mean it's out of date. These mods will do what any other mod can do, it just isn't as obviously simple.
My rant is over

kla_sch

Jul 29, 2019
What does the BC-Robots does, what MFR does not? If you have both you will use MFR.

The main problem is, that the mod packs lake of red line, the user can follow. Why to use IC2 if you have TE? Why use BC robots, if you have MFR?

I miss a theme in most FTB mod packs. Example: I tried Resurrection, because i want to test GregTech. Why is TE included in this pack? It's pointless. It should be build around TE or Gregtech, but not around both mods in same pack. So, i stopped playing this pack.

Many mods are pointless, if you also have other mod which do the same job more efficient (cheaper, less annoying, faster). So, they should be separated in different packs. I never start to use Steve Cards, because i always have MFR and Quarries, which do the same job much easier and better. I never used railcraft cards, because i always can use tesseracts or any other teleport technologies to transport items over long distances.

Zandorum

Jul 29, 2019
Underrated Mods:
  • Lava Monsters - Wanna make your Nether a little scarier, wanna make mining a little more dangerous, add this; Lots of fun.
  • Ridiculous World - This is a nice mod for any pack (I play vanilla only biomes so with this installed dropping its weight of all biomes to 2 is a recommended so you dont have colored vomit all over your world, I'm not saying the biomes aren't good but I AM saying that too much of a good thing can be bad).
  • Mimicry - This mod is very very strong and is very unbalancing but if you disable the recipe to make Mimichite and limit it's ore to generating in the End it feels a little less crazy.
  • Aether 2- Everyone seems to have stopped caring about this mod, It's compatible with most mods now and can be thrown into almost any pack. I use this in my personal pack however I had to make a personal mod to remove Continuum Ore since it is unbalancing in a modded environment (The ore can give any item in the game with no weight's meaning you are just as likely to get Planks as a you are to get a Awakened Ichorium Pickaxe).
  • Primitive Mobs - Alot of fun stuff in this mod, gotta tweak the drops in Minetweaker to keep them from being too good in Modded; Also Treasure slimes are a bit of an issue in that aspect as well but if you can figure out how to fit them into your personal or otherwise modpack they are a nice addition.
  • Automagy - People are starting to notice this one but still, its a very nice Thaumcraft addon and it adds a cheaper form of cables than Project Red which work just as good, lots of automation for Thaumcraft; It's alot of fun for us people who like automation. Now something being cheaper isn't a selling point but its not available from the start so it makes it balanced in my eyes (balanced against Project Red I mean).
  • Hardcore Ender Expansion - This is a very very nice addition to the End, it makes it worth something.
  • Mithril Mod - It's a nice addition to the End, It may seem at first glance like a steaming pile of excrement but then if you look at it a little bit longer, its kind of cool. I Minetweaker out the flute though. This is also compatible with Hardcore Ender Expansion as well so everyone wins.