Problem Overloaded Server - Monster

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

roflbawt

Jul 29, 2019
I am looking to better optimize my server as it seems to really struggle with the Monster pack, constantly not being able to keep up. The ticks seem to spike as soon as someone starts to play. This never happened with any other modpack before this one.

Running on windows 8.I am using Monster 1.0.1 with BoP enabled. Using 8GB of RAM.
Specs:
i7 3770k 3.50GHz
12 GB DDR3
AMD HD 7700 - 2GB
10 mbps upload

This issue seems to get worse the longer someone plays, very quickly getting to be completely unplayable. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

wargodsown

Jul 29, 2019
Having a similar issue looks to me like a memory leak my ram usage steadily grows from start up and the eventually crash not sure where I am leaking from forge log. 0 says it see's potential leaks but no clue where from

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

roflbawt

Jul 29, 2019
That is what I was thinking, but it seems like its not a memory issue. My RAM stays relatively static while it just slowly starts increasing the frequency of "can't keep up!"

wargodsown

Jul 29, 2019
Weird mine just slowly creeps to 90% usage then will spam can't keep up and will eventually crash scheduled restarts bandaid the problem but don't fix it

roflbawt

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, mine just seems to be heavily overloaded. Trying to reduce permsize, turning of the gui, etc.

roflbawt

Jul 29, 2019
It seems that reducing the permsize as well as disabling the server gui has fixed it for now. Doesn't seem to just give up and lag into oblivion.

wargodsown

Jul 29, 2019
Permsize seems to have no affect for me and my server is paid host via CreeperHost

roflbawt

Jul 29, 2019
Well it did not last, after actually being able to play for about an hour the overloading seemed to start again.

tiarnia

Jul 29, 2019
i am having same issue works for anywhere from 3 mns to like 30 (more on the 3 side ) my ram on CH moves up slowly till it crashes will try permagen but idk if lowering it is god usually you need it high

i also see no start.bat on my creeperhost server where would that be?

having to restart the server every 3 mins or so is a pain we realy need a fix for this

Last edited:

wargodsown

Jul 29, 2019
Take a look in the server amin section of the ftb forums they have a known issue post for servers what eats ram and causes tick rate lag I found a couple useful things in it like the thaumcraft hardmode nodes which cause serious issues like corruption and such was on now my server sits at a steady ram level is a little high but I'm running on a smaller server so that is to be expected

tiarnia

Jul 29, 2019
I think I fixed it the main issue was special mobs or so it seems once I disable that and re started I haven't had any issues

Connor Gavitt

Jul 29, 2019
Take a look in the server amin section of the ftb forums they have a known issue post for servers what eats ram and causes tick rate lag I found a couple useful things in it like the thaumcraft hardmode nodes which cause serious issues like corruption and such was on now my server sits at a steady ram level is a little high but I'm running on a smaller server so that is to be expected

This is the ftb forum and I'm aware of the bugs goings around but high ram usage doesn't cause lag until it hits 90% ish or more which is when the server starts swapping which is the cause of lag. We will need to rule out the CPU so in ssh run this command
Code:
htop
Take note of the cores, are any at or near 100%?

Kizyx

Jul 29, 2019
We were having alot of issues on our server with alot of lag. We have been using mcpc +. I tried alot of different lag reducing plugins and the one that worked best for me with the monster pack is Ptweaks. Now we do not have any block lag on our server. Hope this helps

Diggerwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I am running my server quite stable but I noticed a few things that can seriously screw up the server.

1. When I was using itemducts to send quite a lot of items into a tesseract and the tesseract on the other end not being able to send the items in proper storage, it was creating a massive buffer overload and it grinded the TPS to a near stop.

2. the server doesnt like save-on. I made a script to save the server with the save-all command every couple of minutes instead.

I'm running Monster 1.0.5
CPU: I7 3930K (hyperthreading disabled, so 6 cores - 6 threads.)
18G ram (but I havent seen the heap above 10G)

Batch:
Code:
:START
TITLE MINECRAFT SERVER
type nul>server.log
echo startsuccess>> startup.txt
START "MINECRAFT SERVER" /WAIT /ABOVENORMAL java -server -Xmx18G -Xms12G -Xmn6G -XX:MaxPermSize=512m -XX:UseSSE=4 -XX:ParallelGCThreads=4 -jar FTBServer-1.6.4-965.jar nogui
echo shutdownsuccess>> shutdown.txt
pause
GOTO START

Dont mind these lines though. They're for my scripts and to clear the server.log at startup.
type nul>server.log
echo startsuccess>> startup.txt
echo shutdownsuccess>> shutdown.txt

We were having alot of issues on our server with alot of lag. We have been using mcpc +. I tried alot of different lag reducing plugins and the one that worked best for me with the monster pack is Ptweaks. Now we do not have any block lag on our server. Hope this helps

I used MCPC+ for a bit but I didnt like it. Couldnt get it stable enough to my liking so Im using standard jar again.

edit: OH MY GOD! You yinxed me! :p
few hours later now, I come home, my server has the same issue. Checked ram, fine. Checked CPU usage, barely 10% on all 6 threads. Testing my connection? Stable and strong. Tested my apache server? Fine. Did a netstat -na, nothing out of the ordinary. There were no bottlenecks, but for some reason my server desynced tps wise or something.

Message spam with "Can't keep up, did the server time change or is the server overloaded?" and people online noticing a weird lag.

Last edited:

PsionicArchon

Jul 29, 2019
I ran into a similar situation upon accidentally removing the -XX:MaxPermSize=356m command from my start script. Lowering the permgen might very well decrease performance. I run a small server with a modpack nearly identical to Monster (176 mods) and, 356m of permgen is my sweet spot.

You might also want to look into disk IO as a potential lag source. At times my vps experiences some pretty bad cases of io thrashing from people abusing the node and, I've lost nearly thirteen tps as a result.

You wouldn't believe how stupid I felt after spending several hours attempting to track down this "problem" only to realize that I'd been running out of permgen space all along.