Osmium

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
What is it used for? It was recently added by GT; you can only make it from UU matter. However, it isn't used for anything AFAIK. Does anyone know?

I ask because I saw someone on another thread (can't remember who) mention they have osmium boots..

Mjw

Jul 29, 2019
Well osmium is harder than diamond so i'd asume it's better :p
How much % armour is a full set?

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
It also weighs like 6x as much (well, IRL it does. Its also not as hard as diamond, but whatever). Titanium would be a much more sensible material for making armour...

Mjw

Jul 29, 2019
It also weighs like 6x as much (well, IRL it does. Its also not as hard as diamond, but whatever). Titanium would be a much more sensible material for making armour...

oh it's not as hard as diamond? oh well it can actually be made into armour :p (i'm prob wrong about that too :p)[DOUBLEPOST=1370009508][/DOUBLEPOST]brb going to make wurtzite boron nitride armour

Reactions: Riuga

kenken244

Jul 29, 2019
I believe greg has plans for osmium later. for now, you can compress 9 ingots of it into a super-explosion-resistant block. And osmium armor would be a terrible idea, considering that it is even heavier than depleted uranium; it is one of the heaviest materials know to man, and also one of the rarest. I believe its primary use is in surgical scalpels and fancy pens, they add a single bead to it, and it costs thousands of dollars.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
so weight of iridium in quantum armor doesnt bother anyone? it has almost same density as osmium. you can also remember gold...

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019
"Correspondingly, its bulk modulus is extremely high, reported between 395 and 462 GPa, which rivals that of diamond(443 GPa)."
From Wikipedia :)
Apparently we're all right.

Osmium armour is better than diamond :)

Except Lambert, because diamond armour has 10 points too ;)
Although it's possible that Osmium has secret hidden extra armour points like Quantum Armour/Gravisuite or MPS, but they both use (as far as I know) different ways to block damage than the "vanilla" armour points (which are redundant anyway because of enchantments)

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
"Correspondingly, its bulk modulus is extremely high, reported between 395 and 462 GPa, which rivals that of diamond(443 GPa)."
From Wikipedia :)
Apparently we're all right.

Except Lambert, because diamond armour has 10 points too ;)
Although it's possible that Osmium has secret hidden extra armour points like Quantum Armour/Gravisuite or MPS, but they both use (as far as I know) different ways to block damage than the "vanilla" armour points (which are redundant anyway because of enchantments)
I thought dia was 9.5 in the modpacks.. ah well. It's probably the same dam reduction but lesser durability.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I thought dia was 9.5 in the modpacks.. ah well. It's probably the same dam reduction but lesser durability.

Osmium armor has lower durability and much lower enchantability than diamond. I think in the modpack Lambert is playing in the very best armors outside of MPS is Ars Magica's archmage armor (which is fantastically expensive but very good) and Thaumium Armor, which has very high enchantability and with enchantments can offer the same protection.