Options for base load power generation

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
According to the wiki, it costs 6 million RF to generate a single block of ore. As the yellow filter also produces gold, sulfur and glowstone, assuming that the chances of each are equal, on average you'll spend 24 million RF for a single block of yellorium ore. Does reactor fuel generated from that single block return more than 24 million RF?
Remember that you get 2 ingots out of a block of ore by macerating/pulverizing it.
It might also be a question of which modpack/configs you are running. Some modpacks boosts the power produced compared to the default mod values.

But I can tell you that it really works very well in FTB Monster.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
According to the wiki, it costs 6 million RF to generate a single block of ore. As the yellow filter also produces gold, sulfur and glowstone, assuming that the chances of each are equal, on average you'll spend 24 million RF for a single block of yellorium ore. Does reactor fuel generated from that single block return more than 24 million RF?

Do filters change the ore/RF or just the composition?

At any rate, Big Reactors, made properly, generate about 100MRF/ingot.

If you reprocess the waste into plutonium, you get half again the power per source ingot, so 150 million RF per yellorium ingot.

Which more than beats the 24 million RF requirement :p

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/the-little-big-reactor-that-could.46481/

Noting that, if you convert to a turbine, you can in theory get 6x to 8x more power again per ingot.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
LOL. Thanks for the info. Just shows how unintuitive large numbers can be. If you get two ingots out of a block and each ingot runs for half an hour at 20KRF/t, which is what people regularly get out of a big reactor I'm told, that already makes 72 MRF. I stand corrected.

Even so, not an option for my base load problem since it doesn't fit my playstyle, I don't have it installed and would need to go very far from my base to mine the resources after having installed it. it may be an option for intermediate power before I go to ReactorCraft....can the BR reactors run on IC2 or RotaryCraft uranium?

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
I gave an example of my reactor before in this thread, I get 100M from one ingot based on default AgS settings.

And that's using a passively cooled big reactor with redstone as the coolant (mid-ranged coolant). Actively cooled with turbines produce up to 6x more power per ingot

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Yes, it's completely possible to build a hydro electric dam with each column feeding upwards through the energy input/output sides. That's how I did mine. Running them that way is actually more efficient than conduit.

Methusalem

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think I would go for a mob spawning/grinding power solution if you are going for "low lag". Any decent high energy production would require a lot of mobs being spawned and with all the pathfinding etc. going on it probably wouldn't be pretty if you are already struggling.

It's an enclosed spawner room of very limited size, there is not much pathfinding going on. The spawner in my AgSkies world is 10x20, there are at most 6-8 mobs alive at any given time before they get killed by a grinder. (How many mobs spawn in caves around you for comparison?)

At any rate, Big Reactors, made properly, generate about 100MRF/ingot.
If you reprocess the waste into plutonium, you get half again the power per source ingot, so 150 million RF per yellorium ingot.

That's a pretty common mistake. But refining the waste actually doubles the income to 200M RF/ingot.
100M from the Yellorium ingot. You refine the waste and get additional 50M. Then burn it again, refine the waste for that process (still the same original ingot) for another 25M, the next cycle is 12.5M, then 6.25M and so on. Add this all up and after you recycled the same ingot enough times, the sum approaches 200M.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Yes, it's completely possible to build a hydro electric dam with each column feeding upwards through the energy input/output sides. That's how I did mine. Running them that way is actually more efficient than conduit.
Nice. I must say that Engineer's Toolbox has an elegance to it that I find very compelling. It requires creativity, but also gives you the ability to create compact one-block solutions for various problems. The learning curve may be a bit much for people with no background in programming though.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
But refining the waste actually doubles the income
Going to have to call you out on that one

Yellorium converts to cyanite at a 1:1 ratio
Cyanite can be converted to blutonium at a 2:1 ratio

Making refining the waste give you 150%

Last edited:

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Going to have to call you out on that one

Yellorium converts to cyanite at a 1:1 ratio
Cyanite can be converted to blutonium at a 2:1 ratio

Making refining the waste give you 150%

No, @Mehtusalem is right.

"100" yellorium ingots will provide 100 units of power, and produce 100 units of waste. Reprocessed, 50 bluetonium for an extra 50 units of fuel.
50 bluetonium ingots will provide an extra 50 units of power (running total 150), produce 50 units of waste, that will reprocess to 25 ingots of bluetonium.
25 bluetonium ingots will provide...

and so on.

Double the output.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
No, @Mehtusalem is right.

"100" yellorium ingots will provide 100 units of power, and produce 100 units of waste. Reprocessed, 50 bluetonium for an extra 50 units of fuel.
50 bluetonium ingots will provide an extra 50 units of power (running total 150), produce 50 units of waste, that will reprocess to 25 ingots of bluetonium.
25 bluetonium ingots will provide...

and so on.

Double the output.

Hm, I stand corrected
I didn't think about the fact that the blutonium will also produce cyanite

KiwiUSA

Jul 29, 2019
Here's an adaptation of Factorization Solar Boiler build.

Firstly the massive Silver sink of the boilers, 4 of the maximum build:

9G6ndal.jpg

This time, instead of using MFR Steam turbines, I got curious and used a Big Reactors Turbine, I was pretty amazed how much steam this actually made:

dX7p9S1.png

Not bad for a maintenance free power source......

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Yeah, I have to say that trying to do anything with Engineer's Toolbox without Waila is an exercise in patience.

Nice job with the steam.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
By the looks of it, once I can make a turbine from big reactors, I should be able to more than double my power production.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
@KiwiUSA:
That solar power plant takes up 35x35 =1225 spaces. One 20-height, four-ring RotaryCraft Solar Tower produces 940 RF/t and takes up 81 spaces. Which means you could place 15 such towers in the same space to produce 14100 RF/tick using RotaryCraft solar towers. Also, the Rotarycraft mirror recipe uses three silver ingots instead of eight.

Hmm...how much water does this power plant use?.

Reactions: KiwiUSA

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
@KiwiUSA:
That solar power plant takes up 35x35 =1225 spaces. One 20-height, four-ring RotaryCraft Solar Tower produces 940 RF/t and takes up 81 spaces. Which means you could place 15 such towers in the same space to produce 14100 RF/tick using RotaryCraft solar towers. Also, the Rotarycraft mirror recipe uses three silver ingots instead of eight.

Hmm...how much water does this power plant use?.
Should use 0, because the steam will condensate in the big reactors turbine back into water, and you can loop that around

Reactions: KiwiUSA

KiwiUSA

Jul 29, 2019
Should use 0, because the steam will condensate in the big reactors turbine back into water, and you can loop that around

Yes, I could take the turbine waste water and recycle it. But as the Solar Towers were already built with an Aqueous Accumulator under each one, I didn't bother to re-engineer them.

@Ieldra: Thanks for the tip, I'll try the RotaryCraft version next. I'm currently so late game in survival that any new suggestion is welcomed.

In general, the design is extremely expensive, but, to me, it just feels cool :)

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
Just a tip on the RoC solar towers - beware using any pipe other than the RoC liquid pipes to supply the tower, you may just end up with a lava block instead of a pipe. Not that I found this out the hard way or anything...:rolleyes: On the plus side, you can make a high-speed glass factory out of it if you want since it turns dirt under the mirrors into glass in the first 4-5 rings.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Just a tip on the RoC solar towers - beware using any pipe other than the RoC liquid pipes to supply the tower, you may just end up with a lava block instead of a pipe. Not that I found this out the hard way or anything...:rolleyes: On the plus side, you can make a high-speed glass factory out of it if you want since it turns dirt under the mirrors into glass in the first 4-5 rings.
Not quite true. I'm supplying my solar towers with fluiducts and that works all right. The problem is they need lots and lots of water, so you'll need four Aqueous Accumulators per tower - or, as I was told recently - an Extra Utilities liquid transfer node with mining (!) and speed upgrades.
The problem with the overheating is mainly caused by making them too big as far as I've been able to determine. Anything more than four concentric rings and you'll get glass and lava.

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
Not quite true. I'm supplying my solar towers with fluiducts and that works all right. The problem is they need lots and lots of water, so you'll need four Aqueous Accumulators per tower - or, as I was told recently - an Extra Utilities liquid transfer node with mining (!) and speed upgrades.
The problem with the overheating is mainly caused by making them too big as far as I've been able to determine. Anything more than four concentric rings and you'll get glass and lava.
Really? I tried fluiducts and they turned into lava (in Monster 1.1.1). Maybe that's been changed in recent versions, not sure. I also only used a single Engineer's Toolbox block w/two water intakes, supplied it fine - and this was a 8MW tower (something like 12 boilers, 256 mirrors.)