Options for base load power generation

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Really? I tried fluiducts and they turned into lava (in Monster 1.1.1). Maybe that's been changed in recent versions, not sure. I also only used a single Engineer's Toolbox block w/two water intakes, supplied it fine - and this was a 8MW tower (something like 12 boilers, 256 mirrors.)
You managed to build one 8 MW Tower? Hmm, perhaps water supply is the problem and I didn't notice. I'll try that after I've moved to a new world.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I started building that dam with Engineer's Toolbox. I have to say that's a really nice and realistic solution, if you can find a suitable river (which should be no problem at all in most worlds). You can stack the Hydroelectric turbines 24 deep (they work between elevation 40 and 64 and make the dam as wide as the river. That's 240 RF/t for one horizontal space. I don't think you'll get that with any other type of power generation this side of nuclear power. I found a river whose "river biome" part is about a chunk wide, makes 3.84 KRF/t on 16 horizontal spaces should I fill that all in.

Outfitting the sockets is a bit of a hassle, since you can't rotate them so you need to put modules in the bottom before you place them. Totally worth it though. Low to medium-level power with no logistics involved at all. Just build the thing and connect your cables. The modules even accept Buildcraft facades so you can make them look like anything.

Also, crafting is easy and doesn't require any machines, and the resources needed aren't all that rare. Apart from some regular metals and redstone, just a few gold nuggets. The blank modules need a little glowstone dust (1 per six) but that shouldn't be a problem if you play Monster - Infernal Hives aren't that rare.

Edit:
For working underwater if you don't have a powersuit yet: Mariculture's diving suit is very easy to make.

Last edited:
Reactions: YX33A

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I haven't played with Mariculture yet. I always used the vanilla fence thing.

For putting them together, I made a construction platform. Stairs up a block to access the side and the top and a pit underneath so I could go down and place the bottom. And a fence to place it against so I could access that side.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I started building that dam with Engineer's Toolbox. I have to say that's a really nice and realistic solution, if you can find a suitable river (which should be no problem at all in most worlds). You can stack the Hydroelectric turbines 24 deep (they work between elevation 40 and 64 and make the dam as wide as the river. That's 240 RF/t for one horizontal space. I don't think you'll get that with any other type of power generation this side of nuclear power. I found a river whose "river biome" part is about a chunk wide, makes 3.84 KRF/t on 16 horizontal spaces should I fill that all in.

Outfitting the sockets is a bit of a hassle, since you can't rotate them so you need to put modules in the bottom before you place them. Totally worth it though. Low to medium-level power with no logistics involved at all. Just build the thing and connect your cables. The modules even accept Buildcraft facades so you can make them look like anything.

Also, crafting is easy and doesn't require any machines, and the resources needed aren't all that rare. Apart from some regular metals and redstone, just a few gold nuggets. The blank modules need a little glowstone dust (1 per six) but that shouldn't be a problem if you play Monster - Infernal Hives aren't that rare.

Edit:
For working underwater if you don't have a powersuit yet: Mariculture's diving suit is very easy to make.

Edit:
makes 3.84 KRF/t on 16 horizontal spaces should I fill that all in.
Ho. Lee. Sheet. Well, if that ain't baseload power, I don't know what is. One of those "Where is your god now TE3 fanboys?!" moments, isn't it?

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
That's an even 4k if you also install Solar panels across the top.
That does not work. It appears that the modular sockets have an energy throughput limit of 1000 RF/t, which means that if you use the top layer of sockets to route your power to the end of the dam, you'll lose everything but 1000 RF/t along the way. So you must draw the power out of the top layer with other power conduits which have a higher throughput limit, and you want to do this from above since otherwise the top layer of hydroelectric turbines won't work.

I guess you could route the power down instead of up and take it out at layer 40....but I don't feel like reconfiguring my 200 modular sockets. If you have another solution to this problem, I'd like to hear of it.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
You're not actually losing that power until you bump up against the 1.9 million RF storage cap of the dam itself. Anything it can't immediately eject is stored until it can be ejected.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
You're not actually losing that power until you bump up against the 1.9 million RF storage cap of the dam itself. Anything it can't immediately eject is stored until it can be ejected.
Yeah well....that takes such a long time. I'm genearating 2KRF/t at the moment, that makes 2 million in 100 seconds - and once the dam is filled, you'll lose every second because you're unable to draw as much out as it generates. Yet again, adding solar panels to the top is counterproductive. You need an energy out module and an energy conduit which transfer the generating capacity of the dam.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah well....that takes such a long time. I'm genearating 2KRF/t at the moment, that makes 2 million in 100 seconds - and once the dam is filled, you'll lose every second because you're unable to draw as much out as it generates. Yet again, adding solar panels to the top is counterproductive. You need an energy out module and an energy conduit which transfer the generating capacity of the dam.
Add a single Ultimate energy storage socket upgrade to the system. How much RF am I storing now? Add RF I/O to the back of all of them, how much power am I losing? Send it all to my "Power room", a single ElectriCraft Aurora Battery. How much power do you have in your base? Seriously, a non issue is a non-issue. If you want to prevent the energy loss, then send it somewhere else, and use it 24/7. Do you gripe over wasting free power? I sure as hell don't.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I don't think you understand the problem. If you use the sockets to route power and draw it out at a single point for the whole dam, then you'll never be able to draw out more than 1000 RF/t regardless of how much it generates. 2000 RF? 4000? Can it store 200 million RF because you upgraded the storage? Doesn't matter, the most you'll get out is 1000 RF/t. So you must make a power extraction connection for each line of sockets. The most intuitive way is to use one connection for each pillar of sockets, and that will prevent you from installing solar panels. I'd rather lose that 3% from not installing solar panels than the 50-75% I'll lose otherwise.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think you understand the problem. If you use the sockets to route power and draw it out at a single point for the whole dam, then you'll never be able to draw out more than 1000 RF/t regardless of how much it generates. 2000 RF? 4000? Can it store 200 million RF because you upgraded the storage? Doesn't matter, the most you'll get out is 1000 RF/t. So you must make a power extraction connection for each line of sockets. The most intuitive way is to use one connection for each pillar of sockets, and that will prevent you from installing solar panels. I'd rather lose that 3% from not installing solar panels than the 50-75% I'll lose otherwise.
Why do the output conduits need to be on top?

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Why do the output conduits need to be on top?
It needs to be on the top or the bottom, because the way that the power is generated is through two sides being in contact with water in a river biome, and the other two sides you want to fill in with other sockets to make your dam wall as complete as it can be

It seems like they pass power across through all of them though, so you could use the sides of the dam too

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Actually for a one chunk, 24 block tall dam the base storage is 1,920,000 RF. That's without upgrades.

It would actually be more efficient to arrange power out put in rows, garnering you that 4k RF. Hey, it's only 384 modules to be disassembled and reconfigured? Not even that though. You'd only need to calculate where 1k power is generated and reconfigure the cells to push power out through four output connections.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
It needs to be on the top or the bottom, because the way that the power is generated is through two sides being in contact with water in a river biome, and the other two sides you want to fill in with other sockets to make your dam wall as complete as it can be

It seems like they pass power across through all of them though, so you could use the sides of the dam too
...Can't you only use 1 of those engines per machine, come to think of it?
50-25% of a massive amount of power is still 50-25% of a massive amount of power.

You could install solar panels and just pump the power out the bottom, though.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Yes. Actually only one hydro generator works per socket. So you could pull out the back side.
I guess you could. However, that doesn't look so good. As an alternative to drawing power out of the top, you could route it along the dam horizontally and draw it out of the side. There are also 2-3 unused sides on the socket either way, I'm thinking of creative uses for those. If you use three advanced energy storage upgrades, one for each free side, you can store the insane amount of 30 million RF per socket, according to the wiki (It says 100000 MJ per normal upgrade, and advanced upgrade store 10 times as much, per side)

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Aesthetically speaking, you could set it up on the second layer, and set it so all the power flows down out of the top into the second layer. Not only does it give you the look of the flat river, but also a place to stand to get out of the river easily.